Today, the First Thursday in May, Is the 60th National Prayer Day in America....

@Adoniah (7515)
It almost did not happen, but it is happening again this year. It was found to be allowed by the Constitution by the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals last month. So we still have this date, which has become so important to so many Americans. Apparently not to MyLotters however. No one here seems to have noticed. Interesting....When the good stuff happens no one seems to want to print it. Everyone prefers to get into arguments...Well, here is a piece of good stuff for you guys that like it....Enjoy! Shalom~Adoniah
@debrakcarey (19924)
I noticed. You just got up before me. I was going to list the most crucial things I feel we should pray for. Like our country and our leaders, those who have lost homes and jobs. I also was going to point out that God will only hear and answer our prayers if we turn from our sin and humble ourselves. Thanks for posting!
@debrakcarey (19924)
Thank you Adoniah for posting this.
@dark_joev (3043)
Considering when the National day of Prayer was created it was in the Korean War I would say a lot of prayer was needed for that dark war doing that time also being that it was 1951 when this day was started that would be during the highest moment in the Christian Rights or the Moral Rights climb to power within the Republican Party so this day was apart of that movement. I believe that it is a protected thing as well nothing in the constitution bans the declaration of a day of prayer as long as people aren't forced to pray or follow any religious things during this day and are allowed to observe it or not then. It is completely protected under the Constitution for the simple fact that it isn't interfering with others rights to freely practice what they want on this day. I am a Buddhist and did do some chanting yesterday.
@Adoniah (7515)
It was created before most of us were born or at least before we were cognitive. However, we still profess to be a religious country so there is nothing wrong with having a day when folks, no matter their religious persuasion can get together and do their thing. Our country is aging and the folks who were around when this started want it. They did not appreciate it when the Pres. tried to delete it. They did not like it when he then made an islamic prayer day. They found it to be a slap in their face...they wanted a day for all faiths not just one. Now they have that day back and the muslims still have their separate day...interesting.
The whole thing sounds like a silly idea thought up by someone with nothing better to do. No wonder hardly anybody bothers about it as it is just a waste of time.
@Adoniah (7515)
For those with no faith, I am sure that it would seem silly, but for the faithful it is a day to come together and share beliefs and have a day of peaceful prayer for all. Since it has endured for 60 years, I guess a few folks don't think it is a waste of time.
@LadyMarissa (12161)
Since myLot is NOT made up of JUST American Christians, I felt it inappropriate to start a discussion on the subject as it would not include everyone. WHY do we need a "National Day of Prayer" to remind us to pray??? As a Christian who lives in the US, I feel that it is my DUTY to pray EVERY day & I don't need special permission to do so!!! Even IF the courts take away the "National Day of Prayer", it will NOT stop me from praying!!! I don't feel it is my place to tell everybody else what they should do on MY "special day"!!! Today is also Cinco de Mayo & I would like to wish EVERYONE a happy, festive celebration!!!
@Adoniah (7515)
I hate to be the one to break this to you, but christians are not the only ones who pray...that is a bigoted remark...I am not christian... Today is not a day to remind us specifically to pray. Rather it is a day to come together and pray together. All peoples and all faiths, religions, spiritualists, and beliefs. Not just christians.
@_sketch_ (5709)
Okay. Well I'm an American and I have never heard of this in my life. As long as I don't have to pray and it doesn't affect me then whatever, they can call the day whatever they want. I'll call it Thursday.