Is there a movie you love but everyone else thought it was stupid?

"What Dreams May Come" - with Robin Williams and Cuba Gooding Jr. I absolutely loved that movie - in fact I was crying so hard throughout most of that movie. I didn't live the situation that the couple in the movie faced, but I can so relate to the love they had for each other and their family. A lot of my friends (and critics apparently) saw the movie and thought it was too surreal, too much eye candy and rather silly . . . meanwhile, I put it on my list of Top 10 movies. Are there movies that are forever in your heart or made a big impression on you, but the rest of the world didn't see what you saw?
@llsling (336)
I can't name one here ,but if it'd be one that is probably the one I will have made .
Do you mean you liked "What Dreams May Come" too???
@llsling (336)
you got me wrong , I meant to say that If it was gonna be a movie like that which was probably the one I made . But i never did a movie ,so ...There won't be a movie i love but most people don't .
@llsling (336)
PS ,i haven't seen the movie yet ,so I can't judge now .
@secretbear (19472)
Hi much2say! I have watched that movie before! I don't think it's a stupid movie. I think it was worth watching and it really made me cry. The story touched me. I think the story is sincere and even though it's fictional, the feelings of the family can be related to real life. I remember I watched that movie when I was still in college. Me and my friends watched it in the house of our senior which was my crush then.^^ And it's not only memorable because of that, but because I feel like the title has been firmly etched in my mind. So even if I forget the movie, I will still remember the title.^^ About your question... I've thought hard but I can't think of a movie that's not to the liking of my friends or anyone. Or maybe they just didn't express their dislike. One thing I can think of is my love for horror movies. Some people can't understand that. And I think my brother still don't understand why I love Japanese movies and anime.^^ Oh well, it's my taste and it's my business.^^
Ohhhhh - I replied back to you many hours ago, but looks like it didn't make it - argh - don't you hate that???!!! Anyhow - it's funny how old crushes can make us remember certain things from that time. I feel that way about certain pieces of music too! I think those who are into fantasy and imagination can get into horror and anime (I have a few friends who are totally into those genres too). I find that people who aren't particularly open minded about fantasy (those who are just too technical about life) just can't get into horror and anime - they can't think beyond "realism".
@secretbear (19472)
It happens to me sometimes, too. myLot has that kind of problem. Those people probably lack imagination.^^
I've seen What Dreams May Come. I didn't see why critics blasted it so hard either. I didn't really like it much, but for ethical/moral complaints with the subject matter... I loved the imagery and I thought it was an extremely well put together story. I like a whole lot of lesser-known independent films that no one knows about and if they do know about them then they'd cringe. lol Also, I adored the Legend of the Guardians and Voyage of the Dawn Treader movies that recently came out, but they were both kinda trashed by critics. I really didn't get it.
I generally don't listen to critics when it comes to movies - if there's something I think I might like, I go watch it for myself and critique it myself (which is often quite different from what the real critics might say!). Oh yah, there are a lot of cool independent films out there - I think they get trashed by critics because they are "different" - but really, they can be creative and refreshing!
I'm not one for the critics either. Even if I know of critics that see things the way I do... I'd still like to be able to see it and decide for myself. Not so much because they're "different" a lot of the time, but also because the quality of the effects, acting, and overall filmmaking is often considered below Hollywood standards... but in that case I think it's unfair to judge a $2,000 budget film with the same standards as a film made for $200 Million.
well i cant think of an actual movie that i love and other people think is stupid. But there is this one movie ending that i think is so perfect but others say its crappy. Im refering to the ending for the movie "Salt", i love the way the ending where it shows angelina running away and then the scene slowly fades into darkness....but other people thought it would be a better ending if it just ended with a snappy cut into darknes than a slow transition......i dont know i just like the slow transition coz the movie is so fast paced, at least the ending gave me room to slow down and collect myself before i leave the theatre....
I've never seen "Salt"! But I can understand about what you AND the opposing opinions about an ending like that. I didn't like the ending of the Japanese version of the horror movie "The Ring" (or was it Ringu) - the woman drove down the road and basically it was anti-climactic . . . what da heck was that? Good point for bringing up stupid endings (or not stupid endings - hee he).
@cream97 (29175)
Hi. much2say. That is wonderful that you can see a movie in another perspective than other people can. I have enjoyed watching many Lifetime Movie Network movies. These movies have given me a more profound perspective on what it takes to be a woman. Many people don't always give this movie channels the credit that is due onto them, but I can. These movies have allowed me to learn so much from.
You know, I've seen a lot of commercials about those Lifetime Movies, but I can never watch them (with 2 little ones, there's no way I can sit to watch a full movie or even a tv show - and by the time I can, I am soooo tired!!). I've heard some of them do quite a production - well worth watching. Interesting you've learned so much from them - I should give them a chance too (once I can - hee hee).
Most of the movies that i like are liked by my friends as well. There was just this one movie that one of my friends thought was not good. The movie was Shutter Island. She did not think the movie was good at all. I got in to Leo's defense of course and told her to watch the movie again. I just thought that she did not understand the whole movie at all. ;0)
That's one movie I haven't seen - I do recall the title though! Did your friend understand it better the second time around? With me, a good movie (to me), hits me the first time and all the times after that.
@greenline (14865)
I very much like and enjoy watching comedies. Some of my favorites are the old timers, Jerry Lewis and Bob Hope movies. Really very enjoyable. But, many of my friends don't agree.
Oh yah, I grew up on Jerry Lewis films!!! Incidently, I became good friends with one of his sons later on in life - and the guy never told me his father was Jerry Lewis - I found out accidentally! Anyway, and Bob Hope was great too. Their comedy is different from "today" - funny and charming at the same time!
"The rest of the world" is an awful lot of people. I like Another Robin Williams movie "The Fisher King". It meant a lot to me for a number of reasons. Although I am very fond of the film, I can easily see why some of the rest of the world not be.
Ahhhh, yes!! I LOVE "The Fisher King" as well!! I think a lot of my friends did like that movie though . . . the comedy aspect was something most everyone could relate to. "What Dreams May Come" was probably too beyond most people.
@doryvien (2293)
Hi much2say, There is an old movie entitled "Love Story" and I've watched it like a hundred times since I first watched it back in college (and I've been out of college for over 20 years now haha). And I still cry everytime. I even got the novel and read it over and over again, with the same feeling. Friends find it silly, but I find pleasure in watching/reading it even when it never failed to make me cry.
I think sometimes we need that "emotional" fix. And we go back to those same movies because we know we can count on them for it! Yah, I've been out of college for 20 years too - man, does time fly or what?!!!
@dawnald (84130)
• Shingle Springs, California
Well, there was "Plan 9 From Outer Space". I cried all the way through that one... Just kidding. No, I can't name a specific movie like that. But I can say that in general I prefer old movies, ie 30's, 40's & 50's over newer ones. There are many exceptions, though.
Ha ha!! Older movies have that charm that the movies of today don't have, eh? Say, we introduced my daughter to Charlie Chaplin the other weekend and she got a kick out of him - she thought he was hilarious!!!