I Chickened Out

@Janey1966 (24127)
Carlisle, England
http://www.mylot.com/w/discussions/2524609.aspx In relation to my above discussion, I chickened out from taking my steamer back to M&S. The main reason was that I didn't want to "show myself up" in there. An Aries head can get very hot in these situations and I'm never quite subtle enough to win through. Why the change of heart? Well, I reckon (after a long think about this) that, say the steamer COULD be repaired, it would - most probably, come from China originally and it's unlikely it will be shipped all the way over there for new rivets to be put into it. Also, management would say that I shouldn't expect water NOT to affect the rivets - over time, stainless steel or not. Anyway, hubby has ordered me another steamer off the Amazon website. It cost £19.77 with delivery which isn't too bad, as the cheapest one on the M&S website is now £35. I'm hoping that a couple of the tiers I already have might slot into the new one as they are the same diameter (20cm), then I would be able to re-use at least part of the old one that has nothing wrong with it. If I end up like Mum I'll have lots of these steamer pans but there again she is a Gemini and has to have two of everything!
@yoyo1198 (3643)
How much is £19.77 in American dollars? Apparently it isn't an electric steamer? If it is electric, I think I would have tried to get them to replace it. But, then again, guess you didn't need the hassle. Do you prepare whole meals in yours? How many tiers? I use a simple bamboo steamer and have never tried to get another kind. Do you use it often? You think you've gotten your money's worth out of it? So many questions here because I'm now thinking of getting one.
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
20cm Stainless Steel Steamer - Steamer similar to one ordered online.
It's $32.36 but it changes daily lol. My new steamer will look similar to the one shown in the pic below. I shall place it on the gas hob but any hob will do. As for getting my money's worth out of my old one..before water started leaking through the rivet I used it practically every day. The best thing about it is that I only have to use one gas ring..otherwise it could be two, or even three, therefore saving money on fuel. Hope all this helps.
@yoyo1198 (3643)
Yes, it helps very much. Thanks.
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
You're welcome!
@cher913 (25891)
thought you were all gung ho to take it back and i was waiting to hear of your story of you against the big box store...:-(
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
I know, I'm sorry I didn't go in the end. My new steamer is fine though and I have kept the two tiers that weren't faulty..so if I ever come across a new base I'll then have two steamers. Can you keep up with me, no, I can't either lol.
if she's anything like my brother,it's not that they have to have two of everything,it's that they forgot they already had one..
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
Haha! Sounds about right!
@mrgpk63 (444)
Well You either Test a Companies Reliability to back Their Product. Sorry it is Silly to Fear You will not be taken Care of or Fear Yourself Losing Patience. But You can also just Toss Out the Old One and Buy a New Unit.
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
The only bit I will "toss out" as you put it would be the faulty bottom section. I am hopeful that the rest will slot into the new one, when it arrives later on this week, therefore, at least I shall be re-using part of it.
I say if you buy a product it should work as promised. If it doesn't, take it back or return it. Companies stay in business because of people like us who buy. If they have unsatisfied customers they have to change or go under. If you don't make it a point to let them know, they don't change and others get stuck with a poor product. I say put up a stink!
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
I thought the same was as you to start with. However, even John wouldn't keep his receipt after 3 years and if the model isn't stocked in M&S anymore that suggests to me is that it's been replaced for the very reason I was going to complain about. Unfortunately, this new one they sell gives them a feeble excuse to charge another £23 extra. Hopefully, this new one I'm due from Amazon will have better steel and I have noticed that the rivets are slightly higher up than in mine. Maybe that's significant, who knows? If I can fit 2 of my steamer sections onto it I'll be very happy as there is nothing wrong with those, then I will have double the capacity. Question is, what else do I put in the extra sections!
Probably best to forget the aggravation. Your reasons sound warranted, with so much stuff going on as of late why endure any unnecessary stress. I have done the same in the past, where I get so worked up and upset and want to stand my ground to a few days later re-think and change my mind. Nothing wrong with it. Sounds like the new steamer was a great deal, I do hope you can convert all the extras together. Nice deal and enjoy!
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
I suppose if the steamer had been a lot more money I would've been more tempted to complain but, it was only £12 and I reckon most people just buy another one when they corrode like mine has. It was a good deal, I agree and I hope it lasts more than 3 years lol.