Abandoned house and garden! snakes and criminals....in my neighborhood !

@kiran8 (15399)
Mangalore, India
There is an old house with a largish garden exactly opposite my house.The house is on the verge of collapse and the garden around it has overgrown to the extent ,where no one can go in.The other day we were all shocked to find the police come looking through the old house and garden because it was being used by some criminals who were supposed to have been hiding there and just imagine no one in the neighborhood had a clue about it ! Prior to that one evening while I was busy watering the plants in my garden , I had a visitor who scared me no end - A huge Python that must have been at least 13 -14 feet long slowly coming from the wilderness from the opposite compound.It was safely taken away later by the zoo authorities. However, other kinds of snakes,bandicoot,rats etc etc continue to thrive there and keep visiting the neighborhood. Now, the owner lives in the same city 3 kms away in an apartment , but never bothers about this place.When some of us called him and informed about all the happenings his answer was " Naturally ! when no one is living in the house, such things are bound to happen ! When we suggested and requested him to at least clean up the place and rent it out so that all the problems get solved , he wanted to know ,whose house was it? and why can't he do as he pleases with his house? His reasoning is that he has bought it for investment and since the property prices are going up, he need not bother about anything else! There are also coconut tress within the compound, a couple of them right next to the wall which is in front of the connecting road.The coconuts fall from the tress on the road and anyone who is passing below when they are dry, so one has to get them plucked in time, and there have been near accidents with coconuts falling from the tree on children and others .. Since there is no other go, we pay a coconut plucker and get the coconuts plucked from that garden as well when he comes to pluck from our trees... Now my own feeling is that the person is being extremely selfish and irresponsible and personally I could never think of letting a house go waste and collapse because the owner doesn't care or bought it for investment. It is a constant source of worry for the entire neighborhood, but we are all helpless... Please share your views and also if you have had some unpleasant experience in your neighbor hood please do let us know
@deebomb (15322)
Hello kiran. I have not had anything like that happen near me. In my country that would not be allowed to happen. The city would fine the person who owns the property. If they did not clean it up and maintain it. the city would come in cle3an it up then send the bill to the owner.
@kiran8 (15399)
• Mangalore, India
Ideally thats what should be done to the owner of this abandoned house. But , in India we have many rules and laws on paper but putting when it actually comes to implementing it, it is not easy at all !It is because the system is lax that people tend to take advantage and do as they please without bothering about others ..thanks a lot for sharing your views !
@deebomb (15322)
Maybe if enough neighbors complained often enough the law would do something. After all the squeaky wheel gets something done.
@kiran8 (15399)
• Mangalore, India
Yes what you say is right ! It has been nearly 3 years now since this has been going on and all the neighbors have run out of patience.We have to do something about it pretty soon . My biggest worry is the onset of monsoon, it begins with a fury and I am sure the house would collapse which may be good in a way. It will be automatically looked into by the owner or the authorities...
@cream97 (29166)
Hi. kiran8. This owner is really crazy! Why would he purchase a house from an investment only to have it just sit and stay abandoned? People who purchase homes like this, become smart and savvy after wards. They rent this home out to potential tenants. First they fix it up and clean it and reinvent the entire house. The house is renovated and brought back to life. What is he really thinking? If he paid money for this house, surely he should at least make something worthwhile out of this house! He obviously does not know what it means to have a business. That is very sad. This house is causing problems for the neighborhood and he cares the least! So sad! Maybe the city can cite him and this will leave him with no choice to either renovate this abandoned house or tear it completely down. This house is a great easy way for criminals to hide in to do their dirty business. Why would he want all of this going on with a house that he has purchased cold cash for? I really don't understand him at all! Well, since he won't use his head, maybe the house will become damaged or burned to the ground and maybe the police won't have to worry about this problem anymore. He is very selfish and stupid too. I truly believe that if someone gets the mayor or the city involved this coconut tree could be cut down too. His house and the coconut tree is a great danger to others, doesn't he even care??? What if someone actually got hurt because of this house and the coconut tree. This abandoned house could be a place where someone could get raped beaten, or even killed. This owner really should consider something like this. I feel that if any owner makes an investment on any house, they should rent it out or at least keep it in immaculate condition so that snakes, criminals and any other bad things can't get access into the house. If not, then the owner should be fined and serve jail time because of it!
@kiran8 (15399)
• Mangalore, India
Hi cream, it is exactly as you said - when you pay and buy a place for investment you done let it go to ruins instead you will get the best out of it. But the owner of this property has inherited it from his parents , who had in turn got it from their ancestors.So, he doesn't really care ! As for the dangers connected and that may involve the place, he has been made aware of all this and all that he just shrugs off saying that he will take care of matters when they happen - totally irresponsible and selfish to the core.In fact, a neighbor offered to take care of the property, getting someone to clean up the place and also find tenants, but the owner would have none of it.This year I am sure that it is going to collapse with the onset of monsoons..You know we have very vague laws here in India for such behavior and any suit of law takes years to get resolved. So people feel that it is better to put up with the inconvenience rather than run around the police station or the court ! Thanks a lot for sharing your views, have a wonderful day
Too bad Kiranji Do you live in a lonely place, is it near your garden,i think you must report to authorities, antisocials, snakes, stray dogs, cats usually take shelter there. While in service we had purchased a plot of land, it had an old house, we rarely had time to visit, one day i found it was occupied by the so called 'DADA' of my city, i had to take shelter of police to kick him out. Thanks for sharing Cheers. God bless you, have a nice day ahead. Professor ‘Bhuwan’. .
@kiran8 (15399)
• Mangalore, India
Hi professor, I live right in the middle of the city. The house I am talking about is opposite to ours.In our locality all the houses have large gardens and trees, so it becomes very convenient for anyone to take shelter including anti socials and creepy crawlies - Now we are thinking of complaining to the health authorities , all the best and enjoy your evening
@anil02 (3371)
Hello Kiran. I also see here it. The person buy plots for investment and they never care these. The slum develop on these plots and it is cause of neosence. Although it rule of local authority that after allotment of plot one must construct it with in 2 years but no one care it. If you have problem from your neighbor than you consult with any advocate, I think no one have right to create problems for others.
@kiran8 (15399)
• Mangalore, India
Hi anil, Yes I agree that people have become very selfish in India. It is a reflection of our society.No wonder then that we get such politicians.It is like people getting like leaders !!In my case it is not a problem just for me but for the entire neighborhood and it has to be sorted out by the owner and the concerned authorities ,no point in consulting an advocate ! thanks a lot for sharing your views anil and have a great week ahead
@bhanusb (5709)
Hi kiran, your neighborhood house and its surrounding place is the safe shelter for the wild animals. It is an island of nature at a crowded town. Why you bother so much? The animals are doing no harm to you. Let them live safely there. Yes the criminals are the subject of concern. You all the neighbors go to the local police station and ask them to drive away the criminals from that house. It is like the story of the Monster and the Little kids.
@tlb0822 (1412)
That does sound absolutely horrible. Where I live people are fined by the state for leaving houses in this kind of condition because they are a hazard to others. The town in which I live actually fines people if their grass is to high. I would try looking into any such laws in your community that can force the hand of this irresponsible owner to clean up the mess. I couldn't imagine seeing a snake that big, I would probably have a heart attack. It is a ashame that the guy is acting like a complete jerk, and has no consideration for others that have to live by this hazard. I'm sure he wouldn't want to live next to a house like this, so why on earth is he forcing you and your neighbors to live with it. Hopefully there can be some kind of resolve before someone gets hurt, and you will no longer have to deal with it. Best of luck.
@kiran8 (15399)
• Mangalore, India
Hi tlb, it is horrible.The owner in fact visited here yesterday with his family for a few minutes,looked up the place from the outside, like looking at a tourist spot and left.We will have to wait for the rains and hopefully nature will take care, we are all almost sure that the house is going to collapse and then things will have to be looked into and we can complain to the corporation...thanks a lot for sharing your views and have a great day
@savypat (20246)
Can you all get together and complain about the health hazard to the local government? I don't know what the laws are where you live, but here if someone had that property they would be worried that someone would be hurt and would sue them.
@kiran8 (15399)
• Mangalore, India
Hi savypat, that's what we are all thinking of doing.But I am not sure who we should complain to? We were all thinking of going to the health authorities because there can be stagnant water accumulation during monsoons which would breed mosquitoes and the onset of malaria.The owner of course knows that he can get away with anything because of the lax manner in which the authorities take action or rather no action is taken except some verbal exchange ..
Manny houses here have been abandoned since the recession hit. It is sad but none are left to collapse by people who are paying for them...crazy!
@kiran8 (15399)
• Mangalore, India
LOL it is indeed crazy ! A few weeks ago a construction worker was enquiring as to whether he could repair the house and stay in it, also take care of the garden and maintain it. But the owner flatly refused because he dint want to rent it out...