Ouch, my hamster bit me hard... :(

@lady1993 (16091)
i was quite shocked, I was feeding her bread and then she jumped on me and bit my finger, it bled for a while... I was a bit pissed and sad at the same time- i am not gonna hand feed her again, I'm scared to even pick he up gain.... Maybe she was just hungry or sleepy..do I look like food to her?
@Suzieqmom (2763)
Don't be afraid of your hamster--she needs human interaction and won't understand if you suddenly stop feeding her by hand. Just make sure not to feed her anything that can leave its smell on your fingers when feeding her by hand! I used to have hamsters, and they can bite--and it hurts A LOT--but they also like being around humans, so give it another try.
@lady1993 (16091)
Yeah, I am touching her little by little now, she still looks scared of me though, I just put her food in a container now- she looks like she's gonna bite me again. It doesn't rally hurt, the bite since they have little teeth..
@Suzieqmom (2763)
Little by little, you will both regain your trust in each other. My hamsters always liked being stroked on their back, starting with the head/neck and working down towards their tail. But I would only do this when they were calm or playful.
@lady1993 (16091)
Thank you for your advice.. when I tried touching her back, sometimes she immediately looks at my hand, like shocked, so I quickly pull my hand out again. Does your hamster drink water?
Hi lady, we have pet hamsters too and we are very fond of them. The girl one, bites sometimes but she always touch our toes whenever she goes around the house. Maybe its her way of telling us to be careful cause we might step on her again. We thought she would die when i did not see her once and i stepped on her at her neck part. We cried because she was a sweet pet. I stroke her at her back and put her inside the cage. Fortunately after three days shes back to her usual but her cervical spine is not straight anymore but at least she's alive. Since then, we could not pick her up because she would bite us. She gave birth to two female hamsters a month ago and they are very playful. They are eating bread too. But since i read from this post that it is not good for them, i will not give them bread anymore. They usually love eating beans and leafy vegetables. They eat steamed rice too.
@lady1993 (16091)
I never let my hamster out fr a long time though, my mom doesn't like it. And she might get stuck somewhere in the corners of our house and I may not find her anymore. Are beans healthy for hamster? She really loves beans too, I give 2-3 a day.
Hi! i think its good for them it has protein, but i think too much would not be good anymore.I still give them the hamster food i bought from the pet shop once a day.
@lady1993 (16091)
I don't really know what is too much for her, since she just eats everything I give her, her favorites now are beans and oats.. I get scared sometimes, since I may have given her too much, but she just wants more.
My brother bought 2 hamster last day and then he decided to freed them because he doesn't know how to take care of those little ones. I feel sad because he just put them in our garden and mom told him to look for those poor hamsters. But they're gone :(( ...
@lady1993 (16091)
I don't think the hamsters will live long in the garden since cats can easily eat them, or dogs.. Your brother should have done a little research before he bought the hamsters..
@yoyo1198 (3644)
Hamsters do bite, especially if you stick your finger in front of their mouths. They are not exactly people friendly. Why are you feeding a hamster bread?
@lady1993 (16091)
I searched in the internet and it said that i could feed a hamster bread or sliced bread.. and she ate it anyway.. That was the first time she bit me which is why I was quite shocked....
i'm sorry to hear that lady. Maybe your pet did not recognized you, do you look different that time than your usual look? Well, next time, just be very careful.
@lady1993 (16091)
No, not really, i still looked the same.. Maybe she just got irritated since I sort of woke her up accidentally, so I just decided to feed her, but then she bit me- she still ate the food though.
@whatrow (793)
I got a hard bite from one of my guinea pigs when I tried to break up a fight. It got infected but I am OK. I, also, was afraid to go near him again. But there were other pigs in the cage and I knew they had to be rescued. After putting on two pairs of gloves, I opened the cage on the top to grab the others. For once, the pigs did not try to run away from me when I grabbed them. They were scared!