How do you think that you city will look like in 50 years?

@Porcospino (16435)
Denmark
Some time ago I read a book about Denmark in the year 1930. The author had chosen an unusual way to introduce his topic. He wrote about a fictional walk in Copenhagen. Two people walked around in 1930. One of them lived in Copenhagen in 1880 and to him a walk in 1930 was a visit to the future. The other person lived in 1980 and to her a visit in 1930 was a visit to the past. During the walk both of them described the differences that they noticed compared to their own time. The description made me think about the idea of a walk in the past or a walk in the future. I would like see how my city looked 50 years ago and how it is going to look in 50 years. I am sure that I would notice lots of differences. If you had the chance to visit your city in 2061 which difference do think that you would notice? No one knows what the future will look like, but what do you imagine? Would you prefer to visit the past or the future if you had the chance to choose?
@harck721 (372)
That must've been an interesting read. As for me, I would rather go fifty years into the past. I've read some stuff about my city fifty years ago as well as seen some pictures and heard some stories. It was completely different from my city now. There were lesser buildings, the river was cleaner and the main mode of transportation was horse-drawn carriages. It wasn't perfect, but it was a nice place to live in. As for the future, I would imagine the city more congested, but with a better drainage system that doesn't use the river as its dumping site. There would be better electrical and water services and everyone would be living in subdivisions. I work at our city hall, so forgive me for my generic answers. They're sort of the projects the city government is currently working on.
@Porcospino (16435)
• Denmark
Yes, I found it interesting to read the descriptions of the city and I learned a lot of new things. I have seen some old pictures from my city, on the those pictures there were also house-drawn carriages and few houses. It found it interesting to see the difference between the way that the streets look today and the way that they looked in the past, sometimes it was hard to recognize the places because they were so different. On the picitures there were a lot of trees and green area that no longer exist today.
@harck721 (372)
It's sad that a lot of trees have to be cut down just to make more space for us. It's not that bad in our city. We still have a lot of greenery around, but it's significantly lesser than before. What bothers me the most is the state of the river that runs through our city. My dad used to tell me that it was clear when he was young. Now, it's this murky brown color that smells horrible on really hot days.
• Calgary, Alberta
I wish there will be less pollution in my city 50 years from now, I know it sounds too good to be true but I remember a polluted city in my country became clean in just 6 years. Its a very unrealistic dream but 5o years from now I want my city to have something to be proud of. My city doesn't have a tourist spot to be proud off, it doesn't have a local cuisine and historical relevance, So yeah i hope 50 years from now my city is relevant tot he country.
@Porcospino (16435)
• Denmark
It is great to hear about the polluted city that became clean. In my country they are trying to do something to reduce the pollution, but I think it will take a while to change it. Some politicians want to offer free public transportation to reduce the number of cars, but some people are against it. My town and my island are quite peaceful compared to the big cities, but there are still more cars now than there were in the past.
• Calgary, Alberta
I also wish to see less poverty and suffering, the government is trying to make a law to help poor couples do family planning but Catholic church is trying to control everything, my country have issues with overpopulation too. Back to my city, I wish 50 years from now its going to be progressive and relevant tot he country. Since my city has nothing to be proud of, As Is aid earlier, there is no historical relevance, there is no tourist spot and we dont event have a delicacy or food item to be proud of. this city is all concrete.
@Angelgirl16 (2177)
Change in societies is called progress. I don't think any place on earth will remain the same for 50 years; for better or worse nothing remains the same. I think we will see less trees and more pollution. There will be more obese people walking around with many chronic and fatal diseases. I think I would rather live in the past because it was a calmer time and family life was very important.
@Porcospino (16435)
• Denmark
I also find it hard to imagine a place that stays the same for 50 years. It is interesting to see pictures of the way that my town looked in the past. Some places were full of green and peaceful areas and today and they are full of cars, noise and pollution! I think that even more green areas will disappear in the future. In past many people lived in the countrysde, but today many of those families want to live in the city instead and it is neccesary to build new houses all the time.
It is really ashame that we humans have depleted so much of our natural resources, which were the sources of a healthier life. If someone doesn't do some major restoration of our planet, we are doomed.
@ravisivan (14051)
An interesting discussion indeed. I am 60+ years old. During the last forty years the world has grown very big and has become a small village. Yes. movement has become easy. communication has become fast on account of internet, cell phone, fax, television etc. In the next fifty years the travel communication will be still faster than it is today. New power would have emerged. I am not predicting which county will it be. It is because identification of petroleum resources in middle east made it a busy hub in the last fifty years. Similarly identification another rare resource in an unknown or not so famous part of world may make it stronger area. But my wish is that there should be one world - one country - there are advantages and disadvantages in this. People from heavily populated countries will be benefited by moving to other areas. It is a nice thought indeed.
@Porcospino (16435)
• Denmark
That is true, so many things have changed. Now communication is a lot faster than it was in the past. When I was a teenager we had no cell phones and no internet. At that time it took me at least two weeks to send a letter from Europe to Australia and two weeks to receive a reply, now I can send a message via the internet and receive a reply immediately. Many things would be different if there was only one country, and there would be both and advantages and disadvantages about it. Travelling from one part of the world to another part of the world would be a lot easier if we didn't have to apply for a visa each time. My country is a member of the European union and travelling from one country to another has become easier than it was in the past.
@ravisivan (14051)
nice. good observations. I agree.
@katie0 (5212)
• Japan
I really don't like how enterprises go cutting threes, burning entire forests and woods with Animals in it, but I think we will have few more years of this sad eco-terrorism happening. I think in the future we'll have more buildings yet...Then we'll be suffocating and humanity will wake up that being VEGAN, eco-friendly, thinking about others same way we think about our selves, living for the planet first and them for our selves and maybe, just maybe, we can still save Earth.
@Porcospino (16435)
• Denmark
In my area there were many green areas in the past. When I look at old pictures I can see how peaceful and green my area once looked, but today most of those green areas have disappeared and houses and streets have been built almost everywhere. I think that we will have even more buildings in the future, and that is a shame, because in the past the ares were much more peaceful and there was less pollution.
@r0ck_r0ck (1956)
Well i think my city would either be more improved in every way of just turn in to a jungle or something, with all the 'world coming to an end' thingy i read every other day, im having trouble thinking about our future.
@Porcospino (16435)
• Denmark
I have also read about the people who think that the world is going to end soon. According to some people we only have one year left. I hope it isn't true, because there are still lots of things that I would like to see, do experience and learn in the future.
@bhanusb (5709)
Hi Procospino, the world is changing so fast that it's difficult to imagine what will happen after fifty years. We can make fiction only. It is safer to go fifty years back. Because we know that. So I prefer to visit the past.
@Porcospino (16435)
• Denmark
You are right about the fast changes. When I think about my childhood or my time as a teenager so many things have changed, and many of the things that weren't possible at that time are possible today. It is hard to predict what the world will look like in 50 years. I think that it could be interesting to visit both the future and the past. I am interested in history and I think that would be a fascinating thought to visit my town 50 years ago. Of course time travel isn't possible, so it is just a fantasy.
If i had a chance to visit my city in 2061, I've probably phrased it a bit wierd...perhaps no one that bothered. perhaps they'd assume that... there are in fact web experts who predict that the future of the web is to be. And if i had a chance to choose I would prefer to visit the future to see what is the improvement in my city.
@Porcospino (16435)
• Denmark
If we had the chance to visit the future we would be able to see the changes and the improvements that are going to happen in the future. I think that could be interesting, maybe I would even see some things I don't recognize because they don't exist yet. I also think that it could be interesting to visit the past and see how the streets, the buildings and everything else looked 50 years ago. I have seen pictures of my town in the past, but it is could be fascinating to be able to walk around in the streets and experience everything in person.
@topffer (29869)
• France
I cannot project myself in the future, but I know that our views about the past are often not true. I live now in a town where a great writer, Balzac, spent a few months in the 1830's, invited by friends, and wrote some novels based here. I worked on the topography of this period, and learned that many things have changed since the 1830's : streets have been aligned and quite all the facades of this period have disappeared, the castle has been "modernized" in the 1860's to install a town hall and only two towers have been kept, and the most visited monument at the time of Balzac, a chapel from the Renaissance, has been destroyed. However, it is a common idea among Balzac specialists, that nothing has changed : I had a lot of fun recently when I read an article made by a writer visiting this town and beginning by "Everything here breathes the past." I am quite sure that the habitants of the 1830's would not agree and would not find easily their way to home, not saying that recently many old street names -- and often the name was the only thing old in a street -- have been changed. Topography is very interesting : even if we have some old maps, we have not always drawings or pictures for every street, so I would definitely prefer to visit the past.
@Porcospino (16435)
• Denmark
I have heard about Balzac, but don't think that I have read anything by him. It sounds like there have been a lot of changes in the town where you live. It is an interesting thought to imagine what the inhabitants of the past would think about the town today. If the inhabitants from 1830 visited my town today, I think that there are a couple of streets that they would recognze because in the old part of town the old houses still exist. There are rules that the owners have to follow and there are some details about the houses that they are not allowed to change. I like to look at the old maps from my town. It would have been interesting to have pictures from every street or even a film, but that isn't possible, so I also think that it could be interesting to visit the past. I would like to walk around in the streets, look at the architecture and listen to sounds from the past
@ebuscat (5949)
For me very good and nice ambiance because it is more commercial space with have many condominiums and houses.