If this was pre mylot/internet years what would you be doing to be happy?

my wife in 1998 - and now!
@ajk111 (2527)
i reckon i would be sitting with my feet up on a stool as i read the evening paper with a pipe in my mouth. my wife would be making fresh lemonade as the kids play ball with 'bouncer' the local stray mongrel. Thank god that's not happening!!! instead i am sitting with a bottle of red wine as i stimulate the keyboard on mylot. what is the difference with your life from today if you were transported back 20 years?
Hmm let me think I was still cute as today, but a bit younger. lol Two kiddies at home calling mommy all day long. While I worked 10 hours a day and never resting when I came back home. I remember inserting this disk into my ole Gateway and turning it on was amazed to here "You Got Mail" - Good ole trusty AOL, was my first introduction to the net back then. So the difference is that most times now I get to pretty much sit and do what and when I like, within reason. lol
@ajk111 (2527)
what about if you had the freedom you have now but...say 1990. would you have the fun you have now on mylot? i cannot begin to imagine how boring my mum & dads free time must of been!
Oh gosh yes, I can't even imagine being bored when I am 80. I plan to continue venturing into all sorts of areas. I do remember me as a kid and living with the foster parents and I felt like hmm I got up and went to bed that was my usual routine. Oh for the occasional Telenovelas on the TV, I walked around like this all the time.
@thesids (22455)
• Bhubaneswar, India
Hi ajk Transported back to 20 years... there are two ways I wouldlove to respond to this one - Way I - 20 years back I was 17 and in college... So if the age gets reversed, I would be back at college, enjoying my life with tennis, badmnton in the evenings, with outings and some late night parties... No Girls (I did not have any girlfriends then) Way II - I remain 37 but am transported back in time - In this case, it would be me with my beloved wife together listening to songs, going on long evening drives, wrapping up with some movie or even a date at the restaurants... I love food and eating so I knew what are the best places where we could hang out together for food, entertainment. And of course, the long drives would be near the beaches (we stay about 60 kilometers away from the beach). I miss out all these because of my illness that has crept in since 2000 but 20 years back, I would assume the illness never had occured and I could move out of this place
@thesids (22455)
• Bhubaneswar, India
Oh yes, I almost forgot - I would never have worked overtime anyday if it was way II
@shattered (1731)
Without getting young and be transported 20 years back, I think I'll be doing the same things I'm doing now. But instead of getting on the computer and mobile phone to talk to my friends planning a night out, we'd probably be using the landline. Regardless, I'd still be hanging out with friends and family. Computers and the internet are only there to make life easier, my life does not revolve around the internet right? Instead of typing here, I'd probably be trying to get an article published in one of the local newspapers.
@ajk111 (2527)
good answer! the internet and computer are there to make life easier.
@peavey (15380)
I'd be getting a lot more things done, that's for sure. I always complain because I don't have time to do things, then I sit here and I know better. I justify it because I'm making a little money, though, and sometimes I have things running in the background so I'm making money on other sites at the same time.
@ajk111 (2527)
agreed. making money is a good option!
@misterMR (797)
I guess I would be more outgoing. However, I can consider myself as outgoing even though I am always in front of the computer screen. The reason why I'm in front of the computer these past few weeks is because it's a holiday here. School starts next three weeks. So yeah, I reckon that I would be more active and play with my friends outside. Sounds fun though.
@ajk111 (2527)
yeah, being outside sounds like the option!
@CarlHalling (3629)
I sometimes wonder how I passed the time, but I did! 20 years ago, I was often out. I partied a lot and I partied hard. But when it comes to twelve years ago, I often wonder how I spent my time. I used to do a lot of writing on an old typewriter, but I rarely kept anything. I used to record songs. I worked; and I was still socially active. I was pretty busy throughout the '90s. I watched TV, videos, listened to music; I was often out and about. But since coming online, I've been less active, because I spend so much time online. I do so much online! It's become my world!
@kiran8 (14149)
• Mangalore, India
I would be reading all my favorite novels. Ever since I started my online activities reading has been neglected to a certain extent.I used to read a lot before but now I only read in between when I take a break and at bedtime...I also have not watched a movie in months. I would have watched a good old movie after dinner..
@megamatt (14333)
Well twenty years ago, I would be about three years ago and not really care about much of anything, except for watching cartoons on television, playing, and just causing the general amount of havoc you would expect the average toddler to do. Those were much simpler times, with much simpler pleasures. Where there were not a great deal of worries in life, in fact, during that time, there were not really any worries in life. I was a toddler, why should I care about anything? In general, if the 23 old me from today lived life in the year 1991, there would be so much different. A lot of things that we take for granted, would either simply not exist or not be as common. In general, the world before the Internet was more simpler. It has really opened up many more avenues and broadened by horizons. Of course that is not necessarily the best thing in the world a lot of the time. There are times where there are a lot of examples where I can to see the very worst that people can do. So really, life in general was rather more simpler and more isolated. I would be more naive back in the days prior to me getting on the Internet. Of course, in many ways, I am glad that my eyes were opened.
20 years ago? Exactly the same as today - on the PC, connected to the Internet. OK, there was less of it, it was slower and it wasn't crammed to the brim with commercial crap, but apart from that... well, no change for me.
More phone calls, visits to friends and relatives, listening music, more reading, more gardening, writing, trying out more new recipes...............
hi ajk I would be dashing out the door to the library, hurrying in to gturn off the alarm and praying it would not set off the fire alarm as had happened to various of us. and it oftebn did with my frantic n endearos to get the d amned thing shut off. and the fire truck and the police oh my G here I was sweat running down my face, the sound of the clanging fire alarm still in my ears and explaining it was a false alarm to the firemen and the police, and the incessant ringing ot the phone the branch manager'they told me you had trouble with the fire alarm yes maan I did. youi did not get the new code. try this and she recited the code. I entered it and no more alarms fronm either the burglar or the fire alam. all left after admonishing me that false fire alarms were not any fun blah blah blah. yes sir yes sir yes sir.then home to my invalid hubbie with his new colostomy and being alone all day. he had made dinner for us. beef stew my favorite.it was so good and not to have to cook all I did was sit and eat then wash the dishes.It was not a bad life just tireing but I kept at it for 23 years. all past now i mylot and am happy again. I do miss my husband although I ha ve been a widopw since 1991. lolI was happy those years and after grieving I am again happy each dayh though I am not where I want to be but where I h ave to be. long story but hope that it ends with my son getting a full time job and us moving back into an aprtment together b ut for now I am happy as its awful to be sad.
@cripfemme (7719)
If I was done with homework, hitting algebra because I would be a high school freshman!I'd be watching TV (probably Discovery). I'd be writing stories or poems on my computer.
@ravisivan (14051)
20 years back this much of internet was not there. We have to read newspapers only. Ofcourse TV had come. this many channels were not there. Now in Tamil Nadu-India - we have nearly 15 tamil channels. only doordarshan (govt) TV was there. Of course speed was less. computerisation was not this much advanced. to that extent probably crime rate was also less. People were also relatively more happy in one respect. Communication-wise present days are an excellent achievement. In those years we were not able to communicate this much easily. thanks