A cat rescue journal, day 8

Well, kitty has been here a week officially and boy has it been a difficult one. Today was an interesting mix of a day for us, a combination of good and bad. I gave the kitty some more catnip, which it devoured, so I wanted to give more. As I sprinkled it down in front of the cat, it swiped at me and drew blood. I cracked at that point, so angry and frustrated at the whole ordeal. I sat there, bawling my eyes out with kitty watching me. Not that it understood anything, but oh well. I'm so tired with this rescue, I never thought it would be so difficult. After the incident with the catnip, I decided to leave the cage open, put a little of it and some treats outside the cage and see if kitty would venture out of the cage for it. I spent about half an hour in the garden and returned to find that kitty had come out, eaten treats and the catnip, and was lazing about in the box. Some progress there, at least kitty has an out for a little while with the cage open. I then found one of the old cat toys I had, kitty doesn't know what to think about a mouse on a string, so I attached it to the cage. Well, after stepping outside to take the garbage out, I spoke to a neighbor who knows this stray, and it's confirmed that it's a female. Once I described her to the girl, she knew instantly which cat this was. The information we learned was interesting. This is a young cat who had 2 kittens in the winter, they did not survive. She has a more friendly brother who's out and about, and there was at least one more sibling in this family. The woman who used to live 3 doors down owned the mother of these cats, and when she moved away, she left them behind outside to fend for themselves. So they are still pretty young cats. Now that I know she's female, it should be easier to give her a name. I can't wait to figure that one out. One of the rescue people is coming over tonight, and will bring more food and some deworming meds, enough for 10 days. It will be nice to be able to tell her tonight the information we got about this kitty.
• Marion, Kansas
That is some good news and some progress. When our vet has given us worming meds it has been just one pill, one day. I hope she does get settled in a little better. There are several cat rescuers here on the lot, you guys do a good job.
I've now given her a name, but that will be revealed tonight on my next entry. The meds I have, it's a powder to mix into her food, and she's already eaten it, so I know it doesn't bother her. Hopefully more good news to report tonight about the vet appointment, etc.
@yoyo1198 (3644)
Things are looking up, kris. Hang in there. It's sad that people go off and leave their animals to the weather and other dangers.
I sure wish they wouldn't, it's not fair to these animals.
@daeckardt (6245)
I'm glad you finally were able to get her to come out of the cage, even if you weren't there to see it. I wish she hadn't drawn blood, but she is probably still pretty upset with the way things are going for her. Maybe you can do that a couple of times a day to help her feel more comfortable. It's good to know a little more about the kitty's background. I hope the supplies the rescue people bring will help. Thanks for the update!