Domestic violence

I signed up to this cause today. I emailed a national charity and volunteered my services. I told them I will do anything from fundraising, to entering dangerous situations in order to rescue abused women and their children. As a housewife and mother, this may seema strange thing to do. But I was in an abusive relationship in my teens, and I know how it starts - I was smart enough to get out quick. I feel sorry for women who don't know when to run, then find themselves trapped. I am sincerely hoping for the opportunity to go into homes and help women leave. Would you want this "dangerous" task? Have you ever been in an abusive relationship?
I do agree that women and children in abusive relationships need help and a safe place to be able to go. However, I think that there is a mostly silent population that needs help as well but rarely gets it, and that is men that are abused. I know, many people do not think that men can be abused, especially physically by women, but they can. Not all men are strong and burly, and not all women are small, fragile and weak. I hope that domestic violence programs start trying to reach out to these men and offer them the help that they need while at the same time trying to remove the stigma of being an abused male.
Yes, it does sound like he is being abused. At least he can go to your house and talk about his cats or whatever and escape the abuse for a little while. I suspect that you are right, though, it is still a taboo, and I imagine that he would be greatly embarrassed if anyone ever said that he was abused. That is sad, though, because he could use help just as much as the female victims can.
• Greece
I have never been in a physically abusive relationship but, like everyone, I feel that I have been mentally abused sometimes. I would help abused women by talking with them, listening and offering my ideas. Other than that, I don't think I'd do anything else. I feel like it's all about women building up the strength, self esteem and courage to stand on their feet. No fundraising, no interfering. Abused women should learn to love and protect themselves, not have a savior.
Some women need someone to wake them up. I know I did.
Some women cannot do it without help, especially when the man is so controlling that he keeps track of all the money, household expenses, and wants a receipt for every single purchase. They do not have the means to get out of the relationship, because they are financially dependent upon the men. In fact, that is one of the ways that these men make sure that the women are kept in check and under control. Many times, they are also not allowed to contact family and friends, so they do not have any form of outside assistance ... or they are too ashamed to admit what is going on or are afraid to put their family and friends in danger by seeking their assistance.
I have and will again in the future donate things that our family no longer needs or extra money that we might have to the local domestic abuse shelter. However, I don't think that I would ever be able to walk into a person's house that was in an abusive relationship and bring them home with me. Yes, I was in an abusive relationship when I was younger and because of that, I know that I have to go at the first sign of one that I would see in the future.
I know I should be wary because I don't want to put my own family at risk, but I would happily enter their home and help a lady pack her (and her children's) things to go to the shelter
@maximax8 (28256)
I am pleased to hear that you have signed up for a national charity that helped abused ladies and their children. It is sad that some ladies get hit by their man and the children also suffer this. I am divorced now but when I was married my ex-husband used to push me against the wall. He would shout and scream at me. He when angry plus nasty and I didn't want to be around him at that time. We have a son anmd he was born in the second year of my marriage. Even worse than that I have experienced a friend's road rage. One time he drove tthe wrong way down a one way road. It was horrible when he got very angry and shock the steering wheel. I didn't like it when he shouted at me because he himself backed into a metal gate. It made me nervous and in the end I said I wouldn't go in his car again. I am pleased to say I passed my driving test and now have my own car on the road.
The man I was with when I was 16 behaved exactly the way your ex husband did. We didn't have any children, but I knew I had to get out, I couldn't live like that. I am my own person. I remember once when we were 30 miles from my home and he had taken all my money, after he had hit my head against a wall (for replying to a man who asked me the time) I told him to just go away and I would find my own way home. This was in a dangerous part of London in the middle of the night; I felt safer taking my chances on the streets. I am lucky in that I was born obstinate, and then educated to take no c**p. The guy stalked me for months after I told him to get lost, but I eventually sorted that out by asking my biker friends to speak to him
@ludyvel04 (312)
Thanks God I have a loving family. Though we sometimes had misunderstanding, we manage to talk about it and tell how much we care and love each other. I believe people suffering from abuse must be saved. They don't know where to go. There must be people that have show their concerns with others. Whenever I saw parent spank their children which seems to be unreasonable, I never hesitated to tell them that what they're doing is against human right. if you can't do anything about it, call the attention of agencies which you think will help them get away from this miserable life. They deserve to be love and live a happy life too.
@Bryanx54 (644)
Hey, im a guy here, 18 years of age and i've read some heartbreaking stories about violence against women and children and even babies. No one deserves to be put through so much pain and torment, so i would definitely help those abused because it does effect people mentally as well as physically. I suggest people to look up the website forgotten angels so you too can read and see for yourself the amount of abuse these people get, there are some evil men and women out there that would hurt there small children even there own son and daughter. So i wish i could work, but my heart goes out to all those who were, physically abused, mentally tormented and sexually abused, god bless you all.