Cell phone questions

@marie2052 (3697)
I need the assistance of mylotters that use a cell phone. I have had a contract with T-Mobile for 7 years. While I have always liked my phone service and customer service has always been good to me, I have a VERY good rating with them. One of the reasons I kept my contract to keep my credit rating up. About 2 weeks ago I got a letter in the mail that stated my insurance would go up 2.00 per phone on June 15th. I am paying $5.99 and its going up to 7.99 per phone per month. so I am canceling the insurance on the 2. Thats a savings of 12.00 to 16.00 a month. Then over Xmas I got my son a new phone which threw him into a new 2 year contract. I asked the representative if I HAD to have the web she said no but suggested I try it for 30 days. While I was looking over my account I remembered I had kept that on and thought there is another $15.00 in savings. so while I was on with a T-Mobile rep I asked her to remove that from my account that my son does not use the web for his phone. She informed me to LOOK on my account and I would see that this is a REQUIRED charge for that phone regardless whether we use it or not. I gently reminded her I have been a good customer with them and that at xmas time the rep informed me I did NOT have to keep it (you could see smoke coming out of my ears while I am biting my tongue) Again I could not get it removed from my account. Soooo I am considering canceling the contracts which would cost me 400.00for both accounts and I went to Best Buy and I can geta monthly prepaid plan for like 30.00 a month for what I use my phone for. Or 50.00 a month for unlimited everything through Verizon I talked to the Best Buy rep for quite a bit he looked up my T-Mobile bill for me and said yea, it would be cheaper for you to cancel your contract and just get a phone and use a prepaid plan. I am just wondering how many are on prepaid plans and if they are working for you compared to locking into a 2 year contract. You don't save any money. at 145.00 a month its costing me $1,740.00 a year and you cannot get another phone til your contract is up anyway unless you pay full price. So I think buying a phone at 29.99 to 99.99 and paying only 30.00 to 50.00 a month would really be a savings to my son and I and if the phone goes out you just get a to get a new one something you REALLY have to prove to the insurance that you did not do anything to it. So any cell phone people out there that does the homework and knows how to save on money for their phones etc I would REALLY love to hear from. Thanks in advance!
@daeckardt (6245)
I had a t-mobile plan a few years ago, but I let it go when I couldn't afford it any more. I think my contract was up at that time anyway and I didn't want to keep paying for it since I was hardly using the phone at all. I now have a net10 phone and I can get minutes for it for as little as $15/month I think. I do need to get more minutes pretty soon, but since I don't do anything except occasionally call my brother or get calls from him, I don't need anything more. I only got the phone so that if I was on the road, I could make a call if I had a breakdown or something. I definitely don't pay for texting or internet and if I had a plan that required such things I would drop it.
@marie2052 (3697)
Thanks it has been very frustrating to see my cell bill go up and up and then have a company tell me what a good customer I have been and how good I pay on time blah blah blah. the only thing I have through them is unlimited phone usage and text and I can get pictures through my text I have never had web because on a tiny phone it is not worth it to me to try to read all that. When I got my son his phone, I got the minimum web for him to try they swore I could remove it. this really bothers me more than anything that I fell for a scam through a company that recieved money from me on time for the last 7 years. yea this is what companies really think of us...just take our money and run I am looking into with my son what plan we will get for a prepaid phone. paying this much a month is ridiculous.
@daeckardt (6245)
I know there is a phone that my brother got from walmart that is prepaid for $30/month for so many minutes (I don't remember the number) or $45/month for unlimited and I think that included text and internet but not sure. They had a choice of 4 phones from basic to one having all the bells and whistles. I don't think I would go for one of those phones only because I don't use one that much. I hope you can find something soon. Good luck with that!