RAHHHHHHHHHH!! No Electricity!

@erikmama (12934)
Due to bad weather and storms and possible tornados, our power went out at 2:00 a.m. It just came back on about 45 minutes ago...and it is 8:20 pm.It was so hot today and I had no way to cook! It was horrible! I was starting to worry as I did not have any candles... The day dragged on what seemde like forver, and because the electric was off, my son missed the school bus so was stuck in the heat without electricity with me!! I can not imagine how people live without it... Have you ever experienced a power outage that lasted for several hours or longer ?What kidns of things can entertain you during this time? What do you think about storms?
@schulzie (4068)
I don't like storms. I used to live in a state where we had tornados and I absolutely hated the power outages and mess afterwards. Also, those darn tornado sirens, etc. I was without electricity during one of those storms for 2 days and it sucked. You never really realize how much you depend on electricity until you don't have it. And this all happened to me when my 4 children were really small. Now I live in Florida and we have hurricanes here. At least you can plan for those so I have my supply of candles, matches, batteries, canned food, etc. just in case. But still it does really suck... And I can appreciate your comment about the heat and no air conditioning. When stuff like that happens you just have to hang on in there.
@erikmama (12934)
Storms scare me. The one that happened this night did not even wake me up! Gess I sleep pretty hard. 2 days is a lot to be without electric, and you are so right, it is those times when you think and realize how important it is. Hurricane...ICK!! But being prepared can mae a world of difference. Knowing they might happen at least allows you to be aware.They do not occur that often here, thank goodness.
I can think of two times in my life where we have been without electricity from between five and seven days. Both of these times were because of ice storms that we've experienced here in the past. So, of course, instead of having to deal with heat, we had to deal with cold. We kept the house a little bit warmer by using the wood burning stove that my mother has at her house. During the day we would keep ourselves occupied by reading or working on crafts, or playing board games. We also had a power invertor for the car so we were able to watch a little bit of television by running the power from the car. We also went to the movies a couple times just so that we could get warm. As far as these storms here lately go, I am beyond sick of them.
@erikmama (12934)
WOW!! That is a long time! I dont know what I would have done that time. You defintily have to find something to do or else you will go crazy. I am hoping this was something never happens again.
• Marion, Kansas
I have not been without power in a long time. I am fortunate that in your situation I could walk my child to school, and then I could sit in the glider swing under the trees outside. I have lots of things growing in my yard. Playing board games and reading books and crocheting are the things I would have done. Or walked to the library. Storms just happen.
@erikmama (12934)
Oh how I miss having that big yard all my own!! I could not get him to school and I know the poor guy was sooo bored. Plus I was not able to cook... He was tired of sandwiches! LOL! It ended up coming on and going off 3 times but knowck on wood I think it is on to stay this time.
@bounce58 (17550)
Several years ago (in another lifetime), I lived and worked in Asia. And during that time the country I was in experienced a lot of problems with electricity. So the government started rationing power. We would have scheduled blackouts with nothing to do! The only good thing (or bad thing, whichever way you look at it), about the schedule in my place then, was that the blackout came at night. When it wasn't too hot. And it was about that time that battery operated, handheld game consoles came out. I got really good at 2D brick games.
@erikmama (12934)
Wow yuo lived in Asia Bounce? I never knew this! That is so cool!! Scheduled blackouts? OH NO! That really had to suck. I would die I think. But I guess when you get use to it you find other things to occupy your time.But it still sucks!
@bounce58 (17550)
Yes I did. And yes it sucked! I'm sure it would have sucked even more if I were already on myLot back then, and I couldn't go online because of the blackout!
@cher913 (25895)
wow. we have friends who live out in the country and their power often goes out. i guess they are used to it by now though because they have lived there long enough.
@erikmama (12934)
Hehe...I guess it is a country thing! Hope it doesnt happen any time soon. I dont know what I would do it if were a frequent thing.
@dream_ozn (1758)
Wow! You really have a really really long black out. I hope i won't face this situation. MOst of the time, the blackout that i experience is less than an hour. I can't stand the heat. Plus, your black out had to occur during the wee hours of the morning where it is pitch black everywhere, making things even more difficult. During such a situation, it's gets really bored. What can we do with the time? It's really a hard question. If it's during the afternoon, perhaps you can go out and shop and at that time, most shops are close, perhaps light a candle and try to read a book? THat's the best activity i can think off. However, it is a problem if you don't have any candles. Perhaps you should make use of this experience and now stock up on your candles, in the even that black-out occur again.
@erikmama (12934)
Well, there are lots of people who have and have had it worse. But it really sucked to say the least. I am glad that it did not happen now as the weather has been near 100 each day and it would have been horendous. The other power outages I have had have lasted no more than 3 to 4 hours, so this was a new experience for sure. I will be prepared should it ever happen again, aso I was not at all during this outage. I took my son out and we just chilled during the day. But I was unable to work, unable to eat, so it really bothered me. It is all done and over with now, and hopefully this will be the only story I have to tell about it.
@millertime (1398)
Several years ago, my power got knocked out by hurricane Wilma and I was without electricity for about 3 weeks. Let me tell you, it was an adventure. Luckily, it was late in the year when it hit and the temperatures were coming down. It didn't get oppresively hot during the day and it cooled down enough at night that we could sleep without being miserable. At times like those, you really realize how much we are dependent on electricity. We take it for granted that when we flip that switch, the lights will come on. Then when it's not there, we are scrambling to get by. Luckily, living in a hurricane zone, I was somewhat prepared with extra batteries, candles, etc. We cooked on a propane grill and burner. It was a little like camping for 3 weeks straight. I had learned from a previous hurricane though and I went out and bought a small generator to have for emergencies and it really came in handy. It's enough to power my refridgerator and run the TV and a few lights. We couldn't run it all the time though so we would have periods where we had to get by without power. We did a lot of reading. Now, since I've been through it, I'm ready for it. I know what to have on hand and how to prepare for living without power. It's inconvenient but it can be done.
@erikmama (12934)
I tell ya Millertime, it would have been nice to have had you there with me on this day and had a great bog Millertime!!!! I am sorry to hear that you were affected by Hurricane Wilma. I know that these situations are far worse than anything that I have ever experienced, and hopefully ever will. We are spoiled. We do take it for granted until we do not have it. The little things like cooking something to eat are impossible when you do not have electric. Youare a very strong person to have made it this long without electric. I think I may have went crazy during that time period. I will hopefully b e better prepared should it happen again. But lets hope neither of us experience it again.
It so happened that we had power cut over here yesterday,It was from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.I often surf Internet from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.,so much for that.I felt as if I had nothing to do.Fortunately It isn't very hot in recent days,or else,It was really hard to put up with.
@erikmama (12934)
Hi chang! It has been in the 90s here latley, so I am fortuante that it wasn't quite that hot this day. I was more upset that I was not able to get on the Internet as this is where I make my money. Hopefully neither of us will have any more power outages any time soon!
@thepank (202)
Its usually happens in my country when ever there is a heavy rain fall power gone...so what I do i enjoy the rain ..and its not hot at all. Strom's are very power full indeed :) and yes storm can stop the power for long time coz they make damage to the power equipments :)I also can't tolerate the long power cut its horrible specially in summer ..
@erikmama (12934)
I think it is just a rule of thumb that the electric goes out when a storm comes. It does here, but usually it is right back on. I do not remember ever going this long without electricity, and I hate it!! I think this day someone hit a transformer or something, I am not sure. But I made it through it and am still here!
@bmorehouse1 (1029)
If its daytime you can go outside and find things to do. Take a walk or take the kids to the playground. If its storming of course you can't do that. Thats when you resort to making up games. You can get out paper plates and let the kids decorate them. If you have a candle or flashlight you can make shadow animals with your hands. I don't like storms and feel very fortunate that we have missed many so far this spring. Even if you are without electricity think of those poor people who have lost their homes to tornadoes and floods this spring. You still have a roof over your head. Best wishes too you and yours!
@erikmama (12934)
Good morning, b... That is pretty much what we did..We went and played some video games and took walks and played outside. But the drinks got hot...I couldn't cook...I couldn't work...so I guess I was just a bit irritable on this day without my electricity!! I know there are people a lot worse in these storema and my heart goes out to them. When Hurricane Katrina happened it broke my heart in two. And still to this day to hear about New Orleans. I haven't heard a lot about MO but I know it has done a lot of damage, and of curse my prayers are with them.
Actually we had a travel to my husband's hometown hometown for three days in the May holiday. However, there was no electricity since early morning. Fortunately the weather was nice and it was comfortable. It was cool and we went out to have a sightseeing in the morning. And we had dinner earlier at night. After that, we sat together and had a chat. I really enjoyed it and it seemed no more problem even if there was no electricity. We had the torch and they could last for a long time. And my cellphone had enough backup batteries. I could still go online by my cellphone with GPRS connection. So everything was still fine for us. I love China
it`s hard to imagine there is no electricity~