My lettuce and the miracle of genetics.

Sister lettuce plants don´t look alike - This is a picture of my lettuce. I placed together the 4 different kinds I have although none is the same as the other.
Chile
I have told you all how I started my lettuce seedlings. One of last season´s lettuce seeded and I just placed the dry seeds from that single plant in a container with good soil. The seeds turned into seedings and I started to transplant them to the soil and to single pots. All seeds were sisters from the same plant yet not all of the looked like their mom lettuce. The mother plant was a dark red lettuce. Now I have four types. The all green are stronger and grow faster. The dark red curly lettuce is the one that is smaller and more difficult to grow. I wonder who was the father lettuce! Don´t you think it´s awesome how nature turns back to its origins? I hope plants can survive the evil of mankind, making transgenic plants. What do you think about it? Have you seen something like this in your plants? Share. I´m posting a picture of the 4 types of lettuce. They were all planted and transplanted the same day and they have the same amount of sun and water.
marguicha I just had a really big laugh here! I even showed the picture to my boyfriend and he too laugh along with me. I was going to say that something was hanky panky here but he insists that the seeds somehow are mixed. I continued to debate with him that they only came from one type of plant and how was it possible they all look different though. So if you are sure you did not mix the seeds then amazing how nature in veggies have the same attributes in humans where though from the same genetics they can have their own appearance. lol
I couldn´t have mixed seeds, HWG, as I only had seeds from the only lettuce I let seed from the lettuce my daughter gave me last Spring. So I can assure that they were from the same plant. But I also know that if the mother plant itself was a plant genetically mixed, that could have happened. That happens more often when you buy seedlings in the country where seeds are gathered as I did. I feel that this is far better than the transgenic plants we are starting to eat. I have a colonoscopy scheduled next week but when I come back home I´ll eat my first homegrown lettuce. I will have deserved it
lol this is what I debated with my boyfriend, I kept saying no she did not mix them, she specifically says it was from one that she got them all. lol That is when we both agreed that the genetics of the lettuce are completely different. Wow sorry about your colonoscopy and hope all goes well, bet the salad is going to be super yummy.
I am learning so much about different veggies and recipes from you marguicha and am very grateful. I will be looking closer at all lettuces from here on in as I find it so intriguing on how much knowledge you have with your gardening. Thank you so much for my BR!
I think this is the result of hybridization, and we have been doing that for many centuries. Selective breeding for specific traits. It is funny though. I used to garden a lot and often planted hybrid tomatoes. The following year any volunteers would almost always be an egg shaped pinkish tomato, and not any other kind that I have planted. Now they are going back to many heirloom plants, and those will be true to seed when you replant them I understand that they have better flavor too. There may have been a father lettuce at another place and some pollinator insect brought the pollen to your mother dark red lettuce, and that is why you now have multiple kinds.
I´m sure of that and I love to have several kinds of lettuce instead of just the one I was expecting. I have a small plot and few needs so it´s absurd to buy several types of lettuce. The plant was generous as to provide me with 4 kinds to make a colorful salad.
How beautiful and tasty.
@daeckardt (6245)
Wow! That is a big difference in size! I think that big one looks the best. I don't care for the red ones myself. I wish you many good meals out of those! Have a great week!!!
I´m transplanting 4 or 5 lettuce a day so that I can have a lettuce salad everyday, even if I have visitors. I´m sure my daughters will come and take some to their homes also. They have grown in no time at all
@Kalyni2011 (3503)
Sister i am very fond of gardening, we had some place in front of our home, but when it was remade that space is gone, so i asked hubby Professor to make a small garden on our roof top, actually it is just 2 feet wide touching the walls there, there i planted tomato, egg plant and some flower plants for my daily worship But they are dry now, i find difficulty in going there due to diabetes neuropathy, same problem hubby has.. Thank you so much for sharing Namastey. Kalyani
Dear Friend, As we grow older it is more difficult to climb stairs of any kind. I am seriously thinking on selling my house which has 2 stories and but a smaller one can can just suit my needs. But things are not as simple as one wants them to be so I postpone my decisions. Now my garden is keepein me tied to this particular place. We will see. Can´t you plant some in containers, at least the plants that you need for your worship? Which ones are they. Do tell me!
@yoyo1198 (3644)
Your lettuces are coming along nicely, marguicha. I understand to what you are referring in the 'evil' of the transgenic plants. Perhaps we can all keep the original seeds and progeny alive with our small individual plantings?
I hope so. Yes, I feel that trangenic are evil at its worst. Another good idea of mankind to destroy the planet and to make some people rich at the expense of others.
@alottodo (3061)
Funny how nature works...I was given a yellow rose plant some years ago...well this is what happened I had one year with yellow roses and after that the plant changed! it grew bigger and now I have red roses with a yellow center! can any one explain that? I thought may be there were 2 plants...but no there was only 1 plant in the pot! it was only when I planted the rose in the garden when the change occur. I will say nature works in it's own mysterious way.
Isn´t it awesome though? I´m very thankful to my lettuce for its mixed seeds. I will have beautiful salads thanks to that!
Dear friend May be they are miracles of genetics, honestly speaking i don't have much idea, you know i am basically a man of Physics, though i studied Botny in my Intermediate classes only. You are expert in gardening, wish i visit your place lol. Thank you so much for sharing Enjoy life to fullest. Professor ‘*^Bhuwan^*’. .
I´m just a beginner gardener, friend. But I´m glad that at my age I still wonder at the miracles of life. I see so many young people old at heart that I´d love to make them understand that they must be humble in front of the giant orchestra of the Universe. A common lettuce is something to thank for.
Nice picture there marguicha. I think I can understand this. I had a litter of puppies a few years ago from the female who was white and the male a pure brown but we were pleasantly surprised to see a few black puppies there. This I understand they get it from their ancestors. I can relate this to your lettuce as well!
I also saw it as a pleasent surprise as now I will have a colorful salad from my generous mother lettuce.
@jak2010 (1550)
• Papua New Guinea
The father of the seed, whoa, that is a very difficult question and I do not know, a horticulturist can answer this.
I was just joking, jak. I think that these lettuce might have beeen from the country and the seed is not as pure genetically speaking as the ones with brands. I prefer these anyway. It was fun to get so many diffrent types of lettuce from a single plant.