Hand held scanners to help expedite the check out line

There are several retail stores experiment with this hand held scanners for customers who shop in their stores. When customers finish their shopping, or absolutely sure that the items in their cart are what they want to get, they can pick up one of those hand - held scanner and scan those items. When they finish them, they simply push their shopping carts to the check out counter, and pay the cashier according to the total that scanner gets. Would that be much convenient and faster? Because according to some survey, some customers just hate to wait in long line in those retail stores. But there some concerns about it too. Such hand held scanner might create shoplifters. But without it, we also have many shoplifters too. So, this controversy really depends on how profitable those retail will get vs shoplifters concern.
@kenzie45230 (3563)
I'm not sure that would be any faster than the self-scanners they have now in most grocery stores.
@stary1 (6622)
I have never used a self scanner. How does it prevent items being missed?
@eagletrek2 (4979)
• Kingston, New York
Hi were I work this how the scanner work the customer down load a , app on their smart phone aim the phone at the product the customer wants and they pays on the phone with debit or credit card. They skip the cashier line and just go to the greeter line. It does save some time if people only want like on item. since my store in a whole sale store some time the wait can be a half and hour in line because some small business owner in front of them. My store does not have a express line they are to cheap.
@stary1 (6622)
Interesting..I have never heard of customers scanning their own carts. Where is that happening? I know at Costco a cashier sometimes has a portable scanner and if you don't have too many items they will scan and you go through faster, but I haven't seen customers use a scanner. It does seem as if there would be people who cheat.(in this case steal)