I'm still waiting to hear why Libya is different than Yemen and Syria...

@Taskr36 (13923)
The pro-war crowd on the left continues to support Obama's illegal war on Libya which has been going on for over 60 days in violation of the US constitution without the consent of congress. One of the common excuses is that Gaddafi attacked the rebels with the military. Despite that I still don't see the left calling for 4th and 5th wars in Syria and Yemen. Syria is attacking civilians with tanks and has killed plenty of protesters, most of whom were peacefully protesting. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110529/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_syria The Yemeni air force is bombing protesters there. https://leaksource.wordpress.com/2011/05/27/yemeni-jets-attack-protestors/ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/yemen/8541167/Yemen-air-force-bombs-army-camp.html So why is Libya different? Why are people so anxious to be at war with them while ignoring the other two countries? Why are so many democrats who screamed that the Iraq war was illegal just fine with Obama's illegal war knowing full well that he went to war without the consent of congress when Bush actually took the time to get authorization from congress? Obama hasn't even TRIED to get authorization from congress.
@gewcew23 (8011)
Since WWII the USA has been engaging in one illegal war after another. The only exception was the 1991 liberation of Kuwait. Illegal is illegal but I guess to some if the elephant's guy got us into an illegal war then it justifies the donkey's guy to get us into an illegal war.
Eisenhower tried to warn us of the military-industrial complex that would seek out any combat possible just to ensure the continued economic prosperity of our new military economy that started during WWII. I just wonder how many people would change their tune on foreign military involvement if it meant the American economy had to crash completely to end it? Obama, just like every other President, has had to be realistic about balancing the many pressures on his decisions. Every president since Reagan, who was the last to be able to use the "Communism-card" has been ridiculed in different ways by the anti-warmongers. The silly name calling of Obama as a jihad-ist is just the latest and won't be the last. I personally wish I was in charge, but under me we'd be kickin' a$$ all over the place and the UN would be my bi[(h.
No difference in reality, but international politics is not reality. The US role has been minor in the UN action in Libya, so it is unfair to blame Obama for this particular inconsistency. He wasn't the one who signed us up for the UN or committed to assisting in UN actions. On the real question: Why Libya and not Yemen or Syria? In order to act the UN must pass a resolution, which given so many different goals being represented is a difficult thing, not to mention the veto power of the BIG 5. Then there is the problem of limited resources. The US could wage war in 5 or 6 "theaters" at the same time, but the UN barely manages one at a time and they're neck deep in Afghanistan too. The military strikes against an apparent majority in Libya created greater disgust than the smaller scale government violence in other places. AND, politically, more European Nations care about Libya and its importance to the Mediteranean Area than care about the Middle East. The Iraq to Libya analogy is flawed because Libya is a UN mission and Iraq was not only an American mission, it was against the express wishes of many of our UN and NATO allies. Finally, Obama knows he doesn't have to ask permission from Congress for military action, a Presidential Precedent that Ronald Reagan popularized.
@debrakcarey (19924)
My opinion and it is opinion only; the UN and Obama are helping the Muslim Brotherhood to gain power in these areas so there will be a strong coelition against Israel. http://scrollpost.com/blog/2011/05/21/tunisia-muslim-leader-says-arab-s http://www.nowtheendbegins.com/blog/?p=5131
@anniepa (27240)
Well, I'm not fine with it. I'm no expert on international matters but I'm sure someone could come up with some "differences" between Libya and Yemen and Syria but I think they're pretty much besides the point at this point. I understood the whole "we do what we can when we can" bit at the time this all started in Libya, but enough is enough. It would be great if we lived in a world where we could magically make all the evil dictators go away and end all the oppression and violence that exists along with all the poverty and sickness. Of course, if we lived in that kind of world, those bad things probably wouldn't exist to begin with, right? Sadly, we don't and we can't afford on so many levels to stick our noses into everyone else's business. I feel it's PAST time to get the he11 out of Afghanistan and Iraq. Annie
@debrakcarey (19924)
I am in total agreement.
@anniepa (27240)
@Taskr36 (13923)
Yup, as we've discussed before, I don't see any reason for us to still be in either of those countries. The missions in both really have been accomplished.
Silly rabbit, Libya has A LOT of oil of course.
@Taskr36 (13923)
Even if that's the reason, it still only explains the part about politicians doing it. No citizens want wars over oil. Clearly, if oil is the reason for these wars, it isn't paying off for us.
@Adoniah (7515)
Iran is not backing Libya, but it is backing the other countries. That makes it much safer and easier to attack Qaddafi and look as though he is helping the little guys somewhere in the Mideast. This is not really about oil. It is trying to look good to more and more arabs. Hussein Obama is a very nasty man. His foreign policy goal in his presidency is to see to it that the Mideast falls into the hands of the islamic brotherhood on his watch. It will you know...between his efforts and Iran's it will. When has Hussein Obama bothered to get authorization for anything recently?