How to deal with selfish neighbors?

They are very nice to you when they need something or when they want to borrow something but when you are the ones in need, they will turn their backs at you. They would reason that they don't want people to borrow their things because it might be ruined. They don't like to share. It is very frustrating to deal with these kind of of people. How did you manage? Do you have a neighbor like this? Just curios...
@Metatronik (5911)
• Pasay, Philippines
That is our frustration as well. We are fond of lending them when they are borrowing especially digital cameras. But then when we are need, they don't want us to borrow their things. Yes there is this saying that you should help people without asking them to pay back. But then I still have to admit that it is kinda frustrating that no one wants to help you when you are already in need. But I have learned it that there are really some people that are selfish and tend to use you if they need.
My neighbor and I borrow from one another all the time. My neighbor loan me money all the time too. She bought me food to cook the other night as well.
@Bebs08 (10690)
That is kind of hard. In the place where I am residing now, we don't have neighbors or we have one but don't even talk to them because they are busy.. People in the area where I am are not so particular of borrowing or asking things from neighbors. But if I have that kind of neighbor, I will try to be kind but I will also tell them the next time they will borrow things from me, that I want to take care of my things and I don't want it to be ruined therefore they will understand it because that's what they do. Which means they can not borrow mine the next time...