My Daughter Makes Me Laugh

A while back my daughter off-handedly told me, "I think I want to sing Country music." I said she could probably do a good job of it. Then she said, "But I don't like Country music!" LOL This from the girl who loves to put my Hal Ketchum CDs into my player...and all my other country music CDs. "But I haven't downloaded any Country onto my MP3!" she says. "What do you call Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood?" I ask. She just throws up her hands at me. Last week I introduced her to Randy Travis. She loved him! Even though she does prefer Carrie Underwood's rendition of "I Told You So", she went nuts over Randy's hits, "Forever and Ever Amen", "He Could Walk on Water" and "Look Heart, No Hands" among others I found on youtube. I told her, "Yeah, he has some good songs...and I don't usually go for the real twangy Country." She said, "I know!" The thing about Randy Travis is that his songs are easy going, natural songs about things that matter. They're positive...a departure from the traditional cheating and drinking songs that many associate with Country. While I don't have any of his CDs in my collection, I do enjoy hearing some of his hits on occasion. My daughter insists that since her MP3 is mainly filled with techno and pop that those must be her favorite styles. Ah, but truth be known, those will fade as the fads they are...I know when I was her age, I was the same way. But as I matured, I found myself going more for the meat and potatoes styles of Country and Folk and less for the candy styles of the pop of my day. Aren't teenagers an adventure, though?
@ElicBxn (60884)
I still like rock and roll, The Beatles, Sting, various others, but I'd even more prefer to listen to a book than music... tho I can always listen to Tom Lehrer... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnrgWgr00k8
Oh, I like rock and roll, too, but don't listen to it on a daily basis. Just like I like Jello but don't eat it every day. Wears me out to have so much hard hitting music all the time. I like something I can dive into like the Nestea plunge. LOL
@ElicBxn (60884)
I like a rock song with a kind of story
@ElicBxn (60884)
it didn't have to be MUCH of a story, "Baby you can drive my car" is enough to make me happy! and really, back in the late 1960's early 1970's it was hard to separate folk from most rock
@bounce58 (17526)
My son is just turning 11, and although he still thinks himself more of a boy, I can definitely see the adventures that I am going to face as he turns into a teenager. He is not into country music (yet), but he seems to enjoy techno. He keeps moving around when he hears this music, and he keeps referring to it as 'his' dance. Frankly, I don't even understand why he considers this as 'dance'. For all parents that have (or will soon have) teenagers, goodluck to us all.
LOL...when I was a young adult, my favorite things to do were dance and shoot pool. I remember finding a dance partner who didn't embarrass me on the dance floor was difficult at best. I think that women tend to be better dancers than men in general. Finding a good dance partner is a rare treat for us.
@cher913 (25891)
oh most definitely! i have two girls currently living here with their dad and i. one is 14 and the 18. life is sure and adventure with them! my 18 year old love taylor swift which is good!
Music is such a personal thing, we have to be careful what we say to our kids about it, too. When we attack a person's music, more often than not, we are attacking that person whether or not we mean to.