Children playing computer games

My 2 older children are 5 and 4. Until a couple of weeks ago they weren't allowed to touch the computer, but we got this game in the charity shop, a Disney Princess game where they could design dresses, and they LOVE it. My 4 year old son actually now wants to be a fashion designer, though that doesn't surprise me, he loves clothes shopping with me and does have very good taste too. Anyway, I got bored of this game quite quickly, so I found some of my old games. They have been playing Creatures Village, where you hatch little creatures from eggs and take care of them in their world. You feed them, dress them, take them out around the village, and to the doctor when they are sick. I feel this could be quite an educational game as well as being fun.
@indahfth (11173)
Yes. it is a good game for kids. we as parents, should be able to choose a good game, and in accordance with the age of our children. We also have to restrict our children play in the game, so do not become addicted.
Computer games are new to them right now so they are trying to spend all the time they can playing them. I have bought a cd with 500 educational games so if they do start wanting to spend all their time on the computer, at least they will be learning. I am also making sure my eldest daughter reads and practises her writing and maths as she is in her 2nd year at school. And in my spare moments I am teaching her Spanish and French.
@nanajanet (4436)
I let my granddaughter, age 3, play games that I bought for her, lessons in reading, Italian (she learning it), writing, and just fun games. As long as the time is limited to about an hour a day, it is good. She is better on the computer than my husband!! LOL
@indahfth (11173)
let children play with educational computer games, is great for kids, but we do not let the children spend time at the computer constantly, they also have to socialize with their environment.
@watergirl (569)
I think the computer can also be a medium in teaching kids. Children tend to be more interested in learning new lessons from educational games. I've collected CDs on Language and Math with games by famous Disney and Nick Jr characters for my kids. It's our role to regulate and guide when and how our kids play in the computer.
People are always so quick to jump on you for letting kids watch tv or play computer games, but in my house I know I don't allow them to watch rubbish or play violent games. Its all educational and they are willing to learn because they don't KNOW they're learning, they think they are just having fun.
True. The kids are learning while having fun.