Tiger's vet appointment.

Well, interesting vet appointment and attempt to get Tiger into the carrier. It started with a call from the lady from the rescue, reminding me of the appointment. Tiger really didn't want to leave the cage, it was a frustrating time to get him into the carrier. Yes, Tiger is a he. We were all wrong about him. Sure am glad I didn't call him Twinkle Toes. So, I finally got him into the carrier, and surprisingly there was no struggle. He sat in the carrier, no fights or anything, no crying, just no fuss at all. I picked up the rescue lady and we went to the vet. As I dropped them off prior to parking, she dropped the cage on the street accidentally, the handle broke off the carrier. Tiger was fine though, no problem, and I guess he didn't hold any grudges. We went to a clinic that I believe I'd heard negative stories about, but we had no problem there. We went into the exam room, I was allowed in, although I'd been told originally that I couldn't. They took the top of the carrier off, and tried to touch Tiger. He swiped and hissed and the vet said that he would be sedated. So they gave him morphine, and he was out within 5 minutes. But just prior to that, the rescue lady was able to touch him and rub his head. The vet then took him out of the carrier and that's when I saw that he was a boy. I loved the fact that I was able to touch him finally without him freaking out on me. His leg is definitely infected, and xrays revealed a break in the bone just under the elbow joint. But it will heal on its own, it's very small. But there is a lot of soft tissue damage where he was bitten. So he's now on antibiotics, finally. When I got him home, I got the carrier top off and he bolted under the coffee table again. I brought him food and he tolerated me holding the bowl so he could eat, but he wouldn't let me touch him. So it seems that he's back to his old sourpuss self, but who knows. I'll keep trying, and maybe he'll be ok. I'm happy that things have worked out, and it looks like I'll be keeping Tiger for myself, as the rescue thinks that I am keeping him. We'll see what happens.
@yoyo1198 (3643)
So, with the rescue people thinking you are going to keep him, are they going to be able to contribute to his care and feeding? Are you going to need continued help with that? You still going to have him neutered? I think that would be a good idea 'cause when he's all healed up, he's going to go around spraying and that smells horrible. I'm so glad he's finally getting some antibiotic. I've wanted that from the first. He was probably feeling so badly that he couldn't put up a fuss about the carrier. He's probably very frightened about everything that you all are doing but too sick to voice his distress or act out. Especially when he was dropped. How does someone not be able to hold onto a carrier with a handle? Sounds like you just found a better name..Sourpuss...I knew he would eventually name himself. There are so many Tiger's and it's so common. I think Sourpuss fits him better. Thanks for the updates. I'm always interested. You are to be admired for your tenacity with this one.
We had a problem with the handle from the start, and it simply popped out when she picked up the carrier. He is an extreme sourpuss today. I found the door open to his room, but he was still under the table. Went in to try to touch him and he swiped at me, sort of came out just to do that. And he got me pretty good this time. I am now fully responsible for his care, they were only helping with his leg. So now I have to pay for everything, including the neutering. I will try to do this, not going to be easy, and now I'm not so sure if I'll be keeping him after his reaction to me this morning. It will be a wait and see thing.
@yoyo1198 (3643)
You can't take and single out any onc day and his reaction to base the decision on I don't think. He's still feeling pretty rotten and will for some time to come. Along with the pain from the break and the infection, he's now got some queasiness and nausea because of the antibiotic. Also look out for some diarrhea because of the antibiotic. You've got to give yourself and the cat more time. You are still very early and young in your relationship with him. And he's been sick the whole time. I think when he starts feeling better, he will gain more trust in you. It's just going to take time.
I feel it is a blessing he has you as you sound very fond of Tiger. It will take a bit of time but surely Tiger will get very comfortable and appreciate all the care you are giving Tiger. It really sounds like you have truly been very caring with Tiger. Therefore, it is great you get to keep him.
He let me rub his head for a few minutes a little earlier after he ate a bit, so it's a good sign. I started with a pen, then decided to try again. He definitely lets me know when he's had enough, he moves away, and he might hiss. Not bad though, he is making me happy knowing that he's realizing that I'm not going to hurt him.
When he feels better and has built a history with you he may socialize with the other animals, or he may just live in that room. It is interesting to learn that he is a he. We could not tell Creamery was a he because he had so much hair in back that hubby and I both thought he was a she. Til we took him to be spayed. He may be grouchy because his morphine has not totally left his system. I hope he gets healed up well.
I hope so too. He does allow me to get close, but doesn't let me touch him yet. But in time, he will, I know he will.
@daeckardt (6245)
Well, I'm glad we finally know what he is. It has gone back and forth for so long! The lady that told you he had babies must have been thinking of his sister or something! So now he is on the mend, finally. I'm glad they gave him the antibiotics and hope that they start working soon. I'm sure that as he starts feeling better that he will start becoming more affectionate. Since you have been feeding him for so long, he should start liking you once he isn't hurting any more. Keep us informed! Have a great week!!!
@ElicBxn (60884)
Sometimes those wild guys are hard to deal with, but maybe after you get some serious work in with him, he'll come totally around! My semi-ferals go "leg-less" at the vets and they don't believe that they are really wild at home!