The sprint employee said never charge your phone over night.

Only charge it up to three hours at a time and wait for it to go down. If not your over charging your battery and it will start to not hold charge.
Maybe it depends on the phone? I have been charging mine over-night now for 2 full years and the battery seems to be okay with no problems. I have been told by Verizon that as soon as it is fully charged it will not charge further. Almost like a power safety thing. But if you use it a lot then I would suggest to do as Sprint says. I know overcharging can cause lessening of battery lifetime, I believe.
Yes it may be your phone. My phone will not cut off charging at all. It will just get hotter.
@CTHanum (8254)
My battery 'bloated' a few times- am I using the right word? I do not want to see him explode!
I have heard that before from other people too about their batteries exploding. I don't leave mine in he charger daily but have for days on in and as mine instantly stops charging after it is full, maybe because it is a data phone, no sure? But if it is a worry one should not leave it as the last thing we want is an explosion in the night.
I also heard that when you first use the battery you want to charge it fully and over night is fine then. Then only for a period of three hours and if more it will ware out. I only had a cell for a month. Battery was charged overnight and worked well for me all the time I had the phone.
My battery lasts long too..I don't use it that much.
I need my battery. lol 24/7
@asliah (11148)
hi, i think its yes,never charge your pho9ne over night because it will cause to not to charge or bloated battery,and also those seller said that we only need to charge our phone within 3 to 5 hours,and even my Nokia phone,i only charge it within 2 hours.
This is why I only charge mine three hours and never at night.
@Nadinest1 (2040)
Yes, this is exactly what I was told as well. normally, in the middle of the night, my husband's phone will make a noise to tell him that it is now fully charged....he reaches over and unplugs it. I bet a lot of people don't know this little trick.
I wish. my phone would give me a warning.
Yes, never charge your phone as well as laptop overnight. But nowadays many brands have improved their products design. Like the samsung phone and lenovo netbook I am using, when the battery is full charged, it will stop automatically in order to protect your battery. (did I remember wrongly? you should have bought a new Samsung phone! Congratulations! You don't have to worry about that :P) But for those who are using products without this function, you'd better be careful as it really can ruin a battery if you charge them for too long. I once ruined the battery of my dell laptop because I kept charging the battery even when it is full and I did not need to use the laptop in a mobile way. Eventually the battery could no longer be used (even when it is fully charged, the battery can only be held for 1 minutes). You know a new battery is very expensive (the battery for my dell computer worths $80 US dollars or something, not include postage). So the best way to keep the battery healthy is only to charge it when the battery is used up and follow the instructions given by the machines strictly.
My laptop has to be used with the power cord because it won't hold a charge. I just told my daughter to unplug it when she is done with it.
That is true. Batteries have life spans too. Leaving it to charge over 24 hours could cause the battery to overheat. Most Li-ion batteries and chargers contain internal circuitry that stops the charging when it hits 100% but always unplug it after long intervals, just to be safe.
I will do this just like you said. I would like to get all the life out of my stuff.
Yup ! you are right. Cellphone batteries, laptop batteries, and of-course all Lithium ion batteries are to be charged and discharged properly. For better results, one should always wait till the battery drops to 10% and charge it back to 99%-100%. then discharge it and wait till below 10%. This as you have mentioned, increases battery life and improves performance. Thanks for the useful post.
@CTHanum (8254)
Hi Gift! Yes, I always do that. I just charge the battery for 2-3 hours. I don't like to let it to get charge the whole night. I just think that it is not okay for the battery itself~ I just can imagine it's gonna explode if we overly charged it~
That will save you some money for sure.
@CTHanum (8254)
Definitely!
Well thats really awesome to know. If he hadent told you that you wouldnt have known that and would end up replacing the battery all the time when it stopped holding its charge more often. I think most of the things that I have when the charge is full they stop charging as the light goes off. I usually at that point unplug it. I dont think I have ever charge anything over night I usually just do it when I see that my cell phone is about to die I will plug it in and charge it. It takes about an hour to fully charge back up and then it will beep and I take it off the charger and put it back in my pocket.
That is good to do to save your money. take care.
@adnileb (5035)
I always do charge my phone overnight or for long hours. I mean, I don't, I just forget they were charging.
You may lose the life of your battery.
@KrauseHome (35340)
This is some interesting information, and I wonder how True this really is, and if so why do they not let this be known? Have you been doing this yourself and does it make a lot of difference. Maybe I should check with someone especially since I am getting ready to upgrade and want to make the Best use of my New phone I am wanting to get.
@syoti20 (5295)
I agree with the Sprint Employee. Never charge the phone over night and lead to over charge. What happen is that the battery bounces back. Instead of storing energy is decreased faster. When I woke up early morning. I was expecting that my battery will last still evening but It only reaches until afternoon. The next day I try not to over charge my phone. Guess what my phone lasted til evening. Same routine of using my phone.
@stephcjh (32327)
I agree. You can overcharge your battery and ruin it. This has happened to my husband's phone a few times. He puts it on charge and forgets about it.
@hanuma34 (821)
My practice of charging my mobile and laptop batteries is quite safe. I checkup if the battery is fully charged in case of mobile and switch off the power for the laptop when I shut down. Yes I too think battery life gets shortened by keeping under charge for longwe time than needed.
@carpenter5 (6786)
I had not heard this! I have always charged my cell phone all night, and actually leave it on the charger during the day if I'm not using it. I'm going to quit doing this and see if it helps. I hope I haven't already ruined my battery. I have an Iphone 3G and I do so love my phone.
yes they are right over charging may affect your battery.but now a days they have improved their design but eventhough i recommend you to charge your battery in day time when you can watch it.because overheating of the battery may even cause blast and if something flammable is around it than it may cause fire also. your small task can save your and your family member's life.
@sedel1027 (17855)
This must be for older phones. We have been told by Verizon and TMobile that how much or little your charge your phone will not harm your battery.
@Masihi (4228)
My first cell phone that I had I charged up every night, then my second one until a friend told me to not charge it up so much. I guess before I didn't even check the battery symbol much earlier, and so I did started to check it, and sure enough, my cell phone was good to go for 2-3 days, providing if I shut it off at night (if I remember to! haha).