The welfare museum

@Porcospino (17848)
Denmark
Today I visited a museum called "the welfare museum". The museum is situated in an old institution, and the residents in the institution were divided in two groups. One group was called "The people who are worthy of help" It was mostly elderly people who weren't able to work anymore and didn't have any money. The other group was called "people who are unworthy of help" and it consisted of young people who were poor, homeless and unemployed. Many of them had alcohol problems or other problems. "The people who were worthy of help" had better rooms and were generally treated much better than "the people who were unworthy of help" The residents were not allowed to drink, smoke or sing and many of them ("the people who were unworthy of help") were never allowed to walk around outside the institution. I didn't know much about the living conditions of those people and I learned a lot from the exhibition. One of the women who worked at the museum were very nice to us and she told us a lot about the history and the different parts of the museum. What was the last museum that you visited and did you find it interesting? Why/Why not?
@TrvlArrngr (4058)
That is very sad! We were not a very helpful or kind world - were we? Back then we just segregated them and treated them poorly. very sad. Last museum I have been to was probably the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington DC. That is an incredible museum. I highly recommend it if you are in the DC Area. Lots of things to see and do. They have simulator rides too. My kids love that place!
@Porcospino (17848)
• Denmark
I think that it was a sad experience to see how people were treated at that time. The institution seemed almost like a prison, because the the residents lost their rights to make decisions about their lives and some of them were never allowed to walk around outside the institution. The Smithsonian Air and Space Museum sounds interesting. I have never visited a space museum, I don't think that we that kind of museums in my country. Historical museums or art museums are probably the most common museums here.
@oscar6 (1939)
The last museum I visited was the museum of science and industry in chicago IL. It was really cool and I actually learned a lot. I remember I used to go on field trips there as a child and I liked it then as well. I can learn things there as an adult and as a child. I think that is what makes this particular museum a really good one.