Economy class?

@ElicBxn (60894)
There are times you just have to shake your head and wonder what people are thinking! Like, WHY would someone allow themselves to be PUT in this situation? I can understand illegal aliens trying to sneak into the country doing something so dangerous, but "normal" people? http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43368425/ns/travel-news/ I just can't believe that anyone would allow themselves into this situation. Would you? I wouldn't!
Wow that is absolutely crazy and no I would definitely not risk something as this. While I understand that for some drastic measures call for some odd and bizarre things, but this my dear friend, no it is not something I would personally take a chance with.
@ElicBxn (60894)
Really, and just to travel to another place, and probably just a shopping tour or such nonsense! GADS!
@maximax8 (28547)
I know that illegal immigrants are desperate to get into the country they think is excellent to live in. I can't understand them going in the luggage compartment because it is so very dangerous indeed. Even worse it is that normal people are trying to do this same thing. The other day I saw a documentry about how the illegal immigrants try to get into Israel. I love to travel but do it the normal way in an economy seat on a plane or it a seat or bunk on a train.
@ElicBxn (60894)
sadly, if they tried that, they would get caught and turned away, that's why they do such dangerous things to get into the country. Still, I can't imagine getting talked into riding in there for ANY reason!
@cerebellum (3871)
I'd never ride in the luggage compartment! That is crazy, and it is worse tha they had been warned, so it must have happened before! If the bus was full they should have just given them refunds or not sold tickets in the first place. Even if there was a time limit, taking the next bus would probably only put you an hour or so behind.
@ElicBxn (60894)
I'm not sure that this kind of bus has "another bus" these things are chartered for these tour, generally for things like shopping trips to other cities.
@JenInTN (27564)
There is no way I would..lol..it does make you wonder what people are thinking sometimes. Why? I just can't imagine why anyone would for one accept a ride in the luggage cart and for two..what was the driver thinking even sending them there? Weird.
@ElicBxn (60894)
That's about what I thought - even if the bus was full, give these guys their money back - what on earth possessed them to even CONSIDER getting in there?
@paula27661 (15899)
Okay that is crazy indeed! How dangerous, not to mention uncomfortable! What some people will do is incredible sometimes. Six people in the luggage compartment, ouch! Can’t say I have ever heard of anything like this before…
@ElicBxn (60894)
I can't even imagine being talked INTO it! CRAZY!
@daeckardt (6245)
That is absolutely insane!!! I would take the next bus before I would ride in the luggage compartment. I am not surprised that they made the company stop operating since they are putting people in danger.
@ElicBxn (60894)
I totally agree, I can't believe these people actually put up with this! I'd be demanding my money back!
It´s a shame these things happen. I don´t even understand that last year the company was warned that it shouldn´t carry people in the luggage compartment. Aren´t there laws anymore in the US? I could not place myself in this situation in my country, even if I was insane enough to want it. There are laws here and regulations about how many people go in each bus. And the are inspections. Not even animals are allowed in the luggage compartment here. And we do have illegals coming to Chile all the time as our economy is better than that of our neighborgs. We accept them though so they don´t have to come as cattle.
@ElicBxn (60894)
Yeah, this company had been warned before, and this is even worse than letting the drivers have a sleeping berth down there, because if the driver's down there sleeping, that means the people aren't going any place (probably because they are at their destination and the driver is waiting for them to come back). A lot of these "tour" companies take people to distant locations to shop, here in Texas they arrange these trips to Mexico, and at the end of the school year, a lot of schools arrange a night at a theme park like 6 Flags for different grades.
I care about language and freedom has nothing to do with licentiousness. That´s the reason why there are 2 words. Laws should protect citizens (and tourists also) of all this. This is not freedom to choose. It seems it´s better to hitchhike. Years ago there was a big news story about an american girl that disappeared in Aruba. There, again, I saw the line between freedom and licentiousness being crossed, with a horrible end for the poor girl.
@ElicBxn (60894)
Well, I went to 6 Flags and we had both teachers and parents as chaperons, but after we got OFF the bus, I never saw them, but I was with a bunch of girls, and they were probably following the boy/girl groups!
@kingparker (9698)
Wow, people just would do anything to come to the United States here. I hope that they would be safer, but they shouldn't take the risk again. I hope that everyone have a better life.
Excuseme, kingparker. But it seems that the people travelling that way were your fellow US citizens. And many people would do anything not to come to the US. In my country, if such inhuman thing happen, they would not fine either the bus drivers nor the company. Someone would be put in jail. We don´t even place animals in the luggage compartment. I hope you get to have a better life.
@ElicBxn (60894)
These others are right, these people were traveling IN the U.S. not trying to get here (and believe me, they take lots more chances if try and get into the U.S.)
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Sometimes people do such stupid things that it leaves us scratching our heads and asking "What were they thinking?" I guess we'll never know, will we? Dumb meets dumb as stupid meets stupid. I guess it's all part of how our world keeps going around and around.
@ElicBxn (60894)
I guess so, until the beautiful, stupid cattle will become the meat of the ugly people underground... (The Time Machine)
@MsTickle (24993)
No way Jose - what a bunch of idiots. How did it start, I wonder. I guess the bus was full, passengers were begging, greedy operator said okay, jump in the luggage compartment. Unbelievable really.
@ElicBxn (60894)
I wondered too, but they didn't bother to tell us that important piece of information!
@TheCatLady (4695)
• Israel
What idiot would agree to travel in the luggage compartment? I can see traveling without a seat. I've done it. OK I stood or sat in the exit steps or in the isle on long trips, but I was on the bus. I would never do anything as dangerous as go under the bus without air. It's dangerous.
@ElicBxn (60894)
Yeah, what were these people thinking?
@leeloo (1494)
• Portugal
If the bus was overbooked which happens, that means that it was a mistake by the company or travel agent, the passengers have the right to have either their money returned or have their ticket changed so that they could travel in the following bus safely. At least that is what would happen here. The thing is that these passengers subjected themselves to this is even scarier, it shows how desperate they were to go on this bus. Desperation is a powerful motivator, but this seems odd. The fact that no one was injured or hurt due to an accident or smoke inhalation is amazing. That the company has no criminal charges against it, is weird. From the way the article is written though the company seems not to care as long as it makes money, for them to change the logo and continue the same practice with another name just speaks of negligence and civil irresponsibility.
@ElicBxn (60894)
That is so true! Its scary that these things were allowed to go on and I'm glad the feds stepped in and put a stop to these unsafe practices - for ONCE someone is doing their job right!
@carpenter5 (6786)
WHY was this company not shut down almost a year ago when they found people riding in the luggage compartment? I mean this is not only stupid, but dangerous! Could you imagine what would happen if the bus had an accident? It sounds from the article, that this is a pretty common occurance. Why else would there be mattresses there?
@ElicBxn (60894)
I don't know, I suspect they should've been inspected again sooner after the first event!
@vandana7 (68435)
It goes on very normally in India. People travel on footboard, and you are talking about luggage compartment. :)
@ElicBxn (60894)
ya know, I do know there are places in the world that people are desperate enough to ride on roofs and stuff, but the "safety" minded U.S. won't put up with it!
@dragon54u (31638)
62 passengers in the luggage space?! That's kind of hard to believe, are you sure the numbers are accurate? I would wonder why these people would consent to riding there. An overloaded bus is dangerous and hard to control, I'm glad they were shut down!
@ElicBxn (60894)
I think there were only 6 in the passenger space, but I've slept since I read that - but the bus was over loaded, the folks should've either been refunded their money or another bus dispatched.
@BarBaraPrz (20997)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Boggles the mind...
@ElicBxn (60894)
I know! I can't even believe someone would put up with having anyone ASK them to do it! okay, MAYBE some thrill seeking teen, but that would about be it!
What, illegals aren't "normal people?" lol I know what you mean, just the words used seemed funny to me. Anyway, the only time I'd ride this way would be if I was trying to escape from a bunch of Nazis or something. Fortunately the Allies and the Russians took care of them, so no worries there.
@ElicBxn (60894)
I'm sure they are normal, but trying to get into the country without proper papers. How would the Canadians feel if we tried to get there without proper papers and no money to support ourselves? Yeah, if I were trying to escape people trying to kill me, that would be entirely different
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Did they at least get a discount?
@ElicBxn (60894)
It didn't say, but they should've!
@makatas (1101)
• Greece
That is not only insane, but very dangerous too. I am glad it reached the media so there would be measures taken against them. Have a good day!
@ElicBxn (60894)
I'm not sure that it WOULD'VE reached the media if they hadn't been shut down first - scary! Honestly, who would ALLOW themselves to be put there?
@skysuccess (8881)
Bus Ride - Overcrowding buses is very common in Asia. This is in India.
ElicBxn, Kids say the darnedest things while adults do the darnedest things. I know you may be surprised here but it is really quite a common occurrence. This incident just happened to be reported due to an arrest - there are just many more that happens under our noses. I believe the drivers have to be blamed most of the time for trying to make extra bucks on the side. At least, the problem is not as severe as those that happen in Asia where overcrowding can be a way of life especially during festive seasons. Especially countries like India, China and Philippines where overcrowding is very rampant. I hope that the authorities will be stricter and conduct more impromptu checks on buses plying on the road. Otherwise, it will be exploited by criminals and on a more serious note insurgents.
@ElicBxn (60894)
I wouldn't worry about insurgents here in the States, but good grief, this is just crazy to allow this!