Christmas shopping - have you started?

Yes, I really have. I am paying off my debts and using any left over money to buy for birthdays and Christmas. My son's birthday was in March and I finished buying his gifts in January. My elder daugher will be 6 in August and I finished shopping for her last month, and I have only bought a few gifts for my baby's birthday in September as she won't remember her 1st birthday. I have now begun Christmas shopping, which I plan to finish by September. This year I have been buying much less for birthdays, and will be buying less for Christmas, because I don't think the gifts have been appreciated as much as they should be.
@zazen6 (170)
Wow! a very early Christmas and birthday shopping. I wonder how you choose your gifts... I am a bit concerned that the gifts won't be useful to the receiver considering the length of time that will pass before the receiver will get it. I'm more of a personalize giver, I find out the hobby or interest of the recipient before I shop, which is usually a week before the event.
Well, right now my older 2 are just getting into Lego, so I am selling some of their babyish Megabloks on ebay and using the money to buy Lego, which I'll put away for Christmas. They won't grow out of that too quickly. They are also into Marvel heroes and X-Men, and have been for some time, so I don't think they'll lose interest in those before Christmas. I do bulk up the gift pile with useful things like clothes, dressing-up costumes, chocolate etc.
@zazen6 (170)
Thank you for sharing some very useful tips. Selling the babyish Megablocks on ebay to buy Lego... I should have done that before when I got rid of my boy's Megablocks, instead I gave them away. And giving comics will definitely be appreciated by the recipient regardless of age.
Oh man that seems crazy to me! Have you always gotten your christmas shopping done this early? I am a last min person, which is not a good thing. But its way to early for me to be thinking about Christmas already! Maybe I should be looking out for gifts all year too, it would create a less stressful winter, that is for sure!
I have to live on a very tight budget and it makes sense to shop now. I do a lot of my shopping on ebay, my kids don't mind 2nd hand gifts, but in the run up to Christmas everything gets more expensive and people are panic buying. This time of year, you get stuff so much cheaper!
Yeah, that makes since! It seems like once a year I get behind, though, and it takes me all year to catch back up. So then I dont have spending money most of the time. Kinda stinks, and I am trying to get out of that routine.Things are cheaper, for sure! I have never used ebay before.
@cerebellum (3871)
I haven't started yet but I will in a month or two. I am disabled and order a lot of things from catalogs or on-line. My driveway is very long and I don't shovel the walk, so if I don't order before the snow, I would have to go to the post office to pick things up. I don't like to do that, so I start early. I also make a lot of presents and I have started that already!
@m_perez (506)
I think it is way to early to go christmas shopping. What if you buy someone something and a month later they get the same something. Then you can't return the item. I just like to wait for the christmas specials...saves me alot of money. I would only start early if I had an outstanding number of people I would want to give gifts to...but then again I'm not rich so that's never going to happen.
I only buy for my family. And other family members and godparents always check with me before they buy gifts for my kids, to make sure we don't end up with duplicates. With my parents and sister and grandmother, because I look around and try to be original with their gifts, I have never yet bought something which someone else has thought of.
@yoyo1198 (3644)
I do not Christmas shop and haven't done so for years. I crochet all of my gifts and currently have a good supply already made up. I can use my projects as gifts for almost any occasion. Afghans, socks, market bags, baby layettes, various clothing articles to kitchen dishcloths and washcloths are all part of my stash. I shop for yarn in different types of stores from the department stores to yarn shops to thrift stores. Sometimes finding yarn at a cheaper price can be done online.
I wish my mum would make Christmas presents! I keep asking her to make me a red Christmas jumper with gold star sequins, she made one for me when I was maybe 6 years old and I don't care if its not fashionable - I want another one! lol.
I am starting on my homemade gifts, but I have not bought any gifts yet. I am planning my budget later on this week and plan on sticking to it. I am hoing to te enough gifts cards and make money on here so I can buy extra gifts this year. I am surprised that some of the Christmas stuff is not out yet. I am still looking for glass ornament balls. I am also look for tins to where I can pit little items in for my niece and nephews so they can count down to Christmas.
I will be doing homemade gifts so I will be starting in September. Right now I need to get through my hardest class (which ends this week) and then I get my house remodeled. I already got the deck redone which makes me happy. Now I have to redo the floor in the master bathroom as well as paint both bathrooms. I am also hoping to get the painting done in the kitchen. I know if I work hard enough I can get everything done by the end of the summer (I was hoping July, but now I think that may be unrealistic). Then I can focus on Christmas.
I actually started my Christmas and birthday shopping for my children and for my family in March of this year (all of the kids in the family have birthdays that fall in the last half of the year with one birthday in September, one in October and two in December). I've already gotten all of the toys for my nieces for Christmas, an outfit for the new baby niece that I will soon have as a Christmas gift. I've gotten two outfits for my daughter, a birthday toy and also a Santa Claus gift. For my son I have a birthday toy and a Santa Claus gift. I'm done shopping for my sister's birthday and Christmas and I've also worked on my brother. I also have nearly $300 in Amazon gift credit that I will also be using for a large part of my Christmas/birthday shopping.
@gracie04 (4555)
Hi there, I have not started my christmas shopping yet. I do not have enough budget to do that now. I need more time to save up so I can purchase real special christmas presents for my loved ones... Usually, I do my christmas shopping 1 week before december 25... i like the feeling of "christmas rush"... last year, i did my shopping 3 days before christmas... it took me a day to wrap all the christmas gifts for my family and some close friends...
@ckciasigurl (1570)
• Vienna, Austria
hi marianne! no i didn't still got shop for this coming Christmas , because i don't still have enough money to buy some gifts because my account has a small money . I need to make it more bigger so that i can spend it one at a time.
@evexky (71)
Hi marianne87, Me, not yet because it's too early maybe by September. Good for you because by Christmas time you don't have any problem anymore in giving gifts. Preparing as early as now is so good. Cheers and happy mylotting :)
Wow, i congratulate you for being that! At least, you get to buy them in a lesser amount because the demand is still nil. However, i don't do Christmas shopping that early. I usually would buy, when the holidays is already in the air. I like to feel the spirit of Christmas first, to make me in the mood to shop for Christmas gifts.
@peavey (16600)
I shop and make things year 'round for gifts. It's the only way I can afford to give much. Last year, I saved my Amazon gift cards from various rewards programs and a couple of gifts and bought Christmas with that. I intended to do that this year, but I've needed things and bought them with the Amazon GCs instead. I'm also always on the lookout for neat ideas that I can make for Christmas gifts.
@stary1 (6622)
Wow I am impressed. Congrats to you for being so organized. I always promise to do my shopping early and some years I am a little better than others, but I never start quite this early. I am just now thinking of summer...
@cher913 (25891)
yes, although we are a little slow this year because we just dont have a lot of extra cash this year. i got something today for both my daughters though; something i had ordered from ebay for one and a figurine that the other daughter collects.
Usually I do start in the summer months. But my kids are getting older and it is just too hard to anticipate what they will want. I see money in their gift future and they can pick whatever they want.
@moneywinner (1866)
• Brazil
Wow you really start to shop early! I didn't even started to think about that yet, it's too soon. Actually, I only start to shop for Christmas in december and sometimes I didn't finished to buy all the presents until 24th of December..lol!
not yet.. maybe because there are still some events that I am preparing for.. So, maybe i will plan for my christmas giftsby september.. or december.. hahah