why is it when a business turns 50 its big news and exciting but when someone

@cher913 (25895)
turns 50, they are just getting old?
@topffer (31866)
• France
I felt very old at 39 years and 364 days, but the day after, looking at myself in a mirror, I was still 20 in my head. I was not afraid at all by my 50's. If my health is still good, I will be pleased to receive the medal they give in my country to people reaching 100 years.
They give you a medal when you reach 100?? Oh Id like to have one too lol.
@topffer (31866)
• France
It is an interesting one, is not it ? It is also the only medal that the mayor of your city bring you at home : I don't know why they think that centenaries cannot go to an official ceremony to get their medal.
This is very interesting. Well maybe most centenaries cant attend an official ceremony and thats why. I wish they would do this here...not so much for the medal but because that way we'd know who made it and maybe they'd share their secret!!
@savypat (20248)
mre people turn 50 then businesses? Just a guess
@dawnald (84156)
• Shingle Springs, California
I'm not getting old. I AM old. Oh wait. I mean, I'm better. :D
@megamatt (14332)
That is an intriguing question to say the very least. So let me take a stab at this one. Most businesses on an average, don't really last past their first year, never mind about fifty years. Therefore, when a business has been around for fifty years, it is something that is a huge milestone. Most people on the other hand, chances are they may live to be fifty and many years beyond. Or at least that's what the average life expectancy is, therefore it is going to be something that is going to be celebrated quite less. There is no time frame on a business. There are times where it could be broken down or salvaged at any possible time. With the human body, while there may be certain things to help stall the inevitable like living a healthy lifestyle, eventually its going to break down and nature is going to take its course after a certain period of time. For fifty, it might be two thirds of the way to the end or half, but generally there is not that much time. There is a potential for a business to grow for generations to come, while even the most healthiest of people, there is a certain number that they will hit and the bell will toll.
@zandi458 (27953)
When a business entity can reach 50, it signifies that the business is successful and has a strong foundation. But when it comes to a person turning 50, it shows the strength and beauty of that person is depleting.
@KrauseHome (34152)
Personally I think it is just a matter of mindset. Because in reality the people who think 50 is old are probably in their teens or early 20s. They are just beginning life so anything that much older than them, is old. Now that I am just over 3 yrs. from turning 50 myself anyone who considers 50 is old better think again. The problem becomes in the work force people quit wanting to hire people that age thinking it is taking too much of a risk, but in reality most of them will have many many more yrs. to come.
@bounce58 (17524)
I think that when a business turns 50, it already has a history that they can draw upon. It would make them more established. A person turning 50 would still be dependent on where he or she is in life. If she has a little bit of success, then turning 50 could be a source of pride. But, if he or she has nothing to show for at that age, he or she just got older.
Though I do acknowledge the fact that there is a whole lot more festivity that is involved when a business celebrates its fiftieth birthday than there is when a person has their fiftieth birthday, I really think that birthdays should be celebrated just as much. In fact, it was two weeks ago that we went up to Cincinnati (where both of my parent's family are from) to have a surprise 50th birthday for my Dad's baby sister. It was a big deal in that case, but when my mother turned 50 a few years ago, there really wasn't much celebration at all.
@ShepherdSpy (8563)
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
Seems to me that a Business as an entity celebrating being around that long has had some measure of success behind it,with the potential for still more to come ahead... But for a Person,It's a landmark age to reach the Half Century,(Early Retirement age for some!)Just Old enough to have achieved some maturity and experience,but not old enough to be "Past it",so I think still some reason to Celebrate! A Business,though,can continue doing its job long after the founders have moved on..Think of a business as a Tree..it has a greater life expectancy potential than one of us if it's continuing to provide a needed service...And there's trees hundreds of years old...
Well in my family, when someone turns 50, we have a HUGE party!! Maybe its because nearly all of my family members live to a ripe old age of 90 something? My dad is 85 and he's still working at the golf course because he likes it. He still drives, so do his sisters and brothers who are all in their 80's. Oh sure, when you're 50, you dont look as good as when you're 20, but that is up for a discussion. Some people look better in their 50's since they were ugly ducklings when younger haha. As for companies, well if they can last in this day and age to the ripe old age of 50......more power to them. Thats why its big news. I know of a family where the men all die before they reach 50. Two of them are still alive and are in their 60's now. They arent looked at as old men, they are looked at as miracles. So it all depends how you look at it I guess.
@oscar6 (1939)
lol thats an interesting question! I think that when I turn 50 its going to be a big deal with a huge party. I am not even halfway to that yet though. I think that with a business its a sign of success to be able to survive for that long without going out of business. For a person to live that long really isnt that much of a success due to modern day medicine. However we do see news stories when people live to be over 100.
@BarBaraPrz (18502)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
It's a conspiracy!