Last night's solar eclipse

@ddaguno (3110)
According to the news, last night's solar eclipse was the 2nd longest eclipse of the century. a lot of people gawked at the sky to see the moon slowly disappearing and turning orange. I know it was a phenomenon but I was too lazy to go outside. A lot of superstitious beliefs come along with the fading of the moon. It says on the internet that it is bad luck to have a baby during an eclipse and I also read a very silly one that said it is dangerous to cut a cucumber when the sun or moon is hiding. Why? I have no clue. I don't believe in superstition but I know a lot of folks from my town who do. So, do you let your decisions be influenced by superstitious beliefs? For me superstitions only drag a person to the olden days when everyone believe the sayings of ancient people.
@Orson_Kart (4414)
I heard it mentioned on the news but usually when such events occur and I look, I am disappointed, so I didn't bother. I don't believe in superstition and suspect it's probably a good idea not to try to cut a cucumber when the sun or moon is hiding if that is the only light available. If you can't see what you are doing, you may cut something else! Ouch!
@ddaguno (3110)
@NoWayRo (1062)
I watched the beginning of the eclipse yesterday, and it was beautiful; it's such a humbling experience, makes me feel so small in the universe. Everybody told me to keep an eye on my cat, because animals can go mad during the eclipse, but I suppose my cat is too dumb to feel anything like that, it just slept the whole night Hm, I did not cut any cucumbers, but I ate some chips with pickle cucumber flavor, I wonder if that counts
@ddaguno (3110)
i guess not. there weren't any knives involved right?
I didn't watch it last night. Actually I didn't really pay attention to it. First, I may not see it since there is pollution in the city. We can't even the stars in usual. Second, it appeared so late and I couldn't wake up. Today my friend told me last night she expected to see the solar eclipse but finally she slept all night long and couldn't wake up:) I love China
@ddaguno (3110)
the pollution would block the view of the sky??? that's sad if the one on your avatar is your kid then you better move to a cleaner place. i feel sorry for his lungs
Just like you, my husband and I couldn't bring ourselves to wake up at 4 in the morning to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. Instead, I just chose to view it during the primetime news. It's the first time I have heard of such superstitions. Maybe it's because I wasn't exposed to those and so I'm not one to follow or believe those things. To each his own is what I always say to that. :)
@salonga (27957)
I had the opportunity to see the eclipse at around 3:30 am. That was when the moon was already 3/4 blackish/reddish. It looked very dim and to me it was a gloomy sight. I did not enjoy it actually so I did not bother to monitor the eclipse till 4:00 I went to sleep after the first view. The superstition they associated with the eclipse are nothing but crazy and ridiculous. I can't be fooled by superstition. Superstitious beliefs are only for the unlearned and uncivilized. We live in a modern world. We have been educated so why still believe superstition?
Hi ddaguno Nope not at all, I was cuddled in bed as I was completely exhausted. I suppose I will never get to see it but then not sure what I would have missed. lol No I don't let any superstitions influence my beliefs, wait unless walking under a ladder will bring me bad luck. See I have enough of it so I figure why add more. lol
@thesids (22358)
• Bhubaneswar, India
Hi ddaguno There was a lot of talk on these superstitious ideas here at my place - on radio, tv and even on the streets... but then, it was rains all day and night and even today. I was interested to visit the planetauriun and have a look but that all was spolied due to the weather.
@ebuscat (5949)
For me yes it is happened in the world i don't amaze it.
I haven't seen the eclipse last night because it happens at dawn here.I read the news about eclipse by now and found out that the moon have streaks of red because of volcanic ash. There are lots of superstitious beliefs about eclipses but it is a serious thing for Muslims.It means that the world is so sinful and it actually serve as a warning.So people in Islamic countries actually prays when they saw the eclipse to ask forgiveness for their sins