chemo 5

@daeckardt (6245)
I just got out of the hospital from my fifth chemo session. If you saw my blog you have already heard about this. I got to the hospital around 10 am, but it took until almost 1pm before they got the premeds to me. That means it was about 2 when they started the first chemo drug. Everything went ok for the first two drugs and even the first bag of the carboplatin. But that one only contained .566 mg of the drug so of course that wouldn't cause a problem. They were about 3/4 the way through the second bag (5.66 mg of the drug) when I started having a reaction. At first I noticed itching in my wrists and I thought it was just my watch and the bracelets rubbing, but then I also noticed red splotches and showed it to the nurse that was in the room with me. We kept an eye on it for about 5-10 minutes and noticed the red was spreading so she turned the drip off and called the other chemo nurse in so she could call the doctor for advice. The other nurse noticed there was a protocol that covered reactions so she got ready to start that. The word came back from the doctor that there would be no more carboplatin. That was about 10pm last night so I got a full night's sleep and I got four good meals out of it. I was somewhat happy to get that. I saw the doctor this morning and she doesn't know if they will let me continue on the study or not. She still wants me to be on the avistan because there have been good results on studies on patients who were battling ovarian cancer the first time, but there haven't been enough results on recurrences for them to make a conclusion on that. That is why she wants them to let me continue on the study. I will see her in two weeks and she will let me know what they say then. She is going to fight to keep me on the study because she wants my results used in their conclusion. She says she wants to keep me on the drug even if I am not on the study because she thinks it would help. I just have one more treatment with taxol and avistan and then if they let me stay on the study, I will get the avistan every three weeks indefinitely. Not that I look forward to that, but at least I know that it would help someone down the road even if it doesn't help me much. If I'm on the study, they would pay that expense but medicaid would cover the IV and related expenses. If I'm not on the study, medicaid would cover it all. I guess I will know in three weeks.
@margeryann (1853)
This is such a scary situation your in.Hopefully everything turns out alright. I will be keeping you in my prayers.Hopefully they keep you in the study. Thank you for keeping us updated. Just don't give up and it looks like you aren't which is good.You are such a strong minded person.
@daeckardt (6245)
I have a lot to live for...at least I think I do. I might not have kids, but my thing is helping people and while I may not be able to do that directly, I can help get paperwork caught up for the Red Cross so that they will be able to help more people. I started going there a couple of weeks ago and I have finished one project and started on another. Once I get the office manager's paperwork caught up, I will get disaster's paperwork caught up. By that time, I hope to be in good enough health that I can start going out in the field to help with local disasters like helping people who are burned out of their homes. I really enjoyed doing that when I was in North Carolina. I wouldn't be able to do that right now, but I will get my strength back soon. I can also get the message out to people about getting checked out to help improve survival.
It is great how much you like to help people.Red Cross is a real good organization on helping people!I'm glad that you are keeping strong. Take care and have a good week.
@daeckardt (6245)
I agree with you on what you say about Red Cross. I can't wait until I can start going out into the field again, although I will probably also spend time in the office to make sure paperwork is up to date. If that isn't all in order then the money spent on disasters can't be reimbursed to the local offices by the national office. Have a great weekend!!!
@bunnybon7 (37468)
• Holiday, Florida
oh dear. i do hope and pray they do whatever is best for you. thats all i care is that you get the best part without to much pain and sickness. prayers and best wishes dear one. hugs, bon
@daeckardt (6245)
I can't wait to see the results from the cat scan they will do some time after the next treatment. Of course the tumors were too small to be seen on it, but maybe it will have some good news about the condition of other things that might determine whether they can fix the other problem that is going on in there so that they can reverse the colostomy.
The reactions that you've had to the medication have to be very scary to you. I think that would probably scare me more than the treatment of cancer itself. So, I don't know if I would want to continue in the study or not, but if they are willing to let you continue and if you are willing to deal with the fact that there will probably be side effects, then I would continue. However, if the side effects are that scary to you, I would request to be taken off the study and continue with more traditional medications.
One of the reasons why I was happy to hear you were in the hospital for the treatment as this way you get some knowledge up front with any upcoming changes and are able to catch and decided right away any changes. I do hope that which is best for treatment wise that they proceed and all the covered expenses get taken care of for you. You have enough to worry without any additional side effects and or if things will be covered or not. Does sound like despite you are feeling okay.
@daeckardt (6245)
The biggest advantage of being in the hospital at the time of the reaction was that they didn't have to take me across town by ambulance to get me taken care of. Since they won't be doing the carboplatin again, I will be able to be treated at the cancer center again so that I don't need to make any extra trips into town. Of course, by the next treatment, I will probably be living in town, but I will be able to take the bus if I can't drive so that will be a big help. I was able to drive myself home today as I had the whole night and half the day (over 14 hours after the last benedryl administration) to recover from the effects. I am feeling ok right now, but I'm not sure when the joint pains will start. Maybe if I'm lucky they were being caused by the carboplatin and it won't be a problem again, but I don't think I will be that lucky. We'll see. Thanks for the response!
I am so proud of you and I am hoping you will survive this challenge so you can help others also. May God be with you always.You are strong and I think you can make it. By the way,How many sessions did you went through?
@daeckardt (6245)
Thanks for the response! I find this encouraging. The first time around (in 2003) I went through six sessions with carbo/taxol and this time I have had five so far where I had carbo/taxol/avistan, but the last one will only be taxol and avistan since I have had reactions to the carbo even at low levels they give for desensitization. So far, the doctor is happy with the results of the blood tests which show the tumor marker has decreased following each treatment so that gives me hope that I am on my way to being cancer free for another period of time. Have a great weekend!!!
Oh that sounds good. Keep going and I'll pray for you.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
How many chemo sessions will you have to go through and when will you know if it's doing you any good? Is the doctor optomistic or what does he/she say your chances are? What ever they say, they're not always right because God is in control. When God is ready to take you home, He will and not a moment before. In the meantime, please stay strong and keep your faith. I feel that you're going to beat this hands down and I can't wait to hear about that moment.
@daeckardt (6245)
Actually, I talked to my doctor this afternoon and I am still on the study which means I will be on the avistan indefinitely (maintenance chemo). I was supposed to get one more round of everything, but the study director sent an email to my doctor saying because my last two CA-125 (cancer tumor marker) readings were normal, I don't have to do round 6 at all!!! I get another CT next Wednesday (instead of chemo) and the last two showed no evidence of disease. More in a separate discussion. Thanks for the response and have a great day!!!
@KrauseHome (35517)
All I can say my friend, is that I am wishing you the Best, and will be keeping you in thought and Prayer. I know with all of the issues I am enduring at this time something like this for you is stressful, and may not always work out as planned but God is in control. Just hope something Good comes from this and you will have Good results from it all. Please keep us updated as you can.
@daeckardt (6245)
I can go along with what you are saying here. I know that everything will work out for me. I will know soon if they will let me continue on the study (to see if the avistan will help keep me cancer free for longer and improve quality of life). I am told that in first cancer clinical studies that it has helped and if it helps the first time around that it should help the second time around. My doctor is considering keeping me on it even if I'm not on the study because of the promising results of the first cancer studies, but prefers that my results be included in the study in order to help others in the future. Have a great weekend!!!
I know we all hope it works out in the best way for you.