The Movie Larry Crowne ( a rant)

have you seen the premiss of the movie Larry Crowne? Just because he didn't go to college they fire him from a job he got Without a college degree!They were upset that he wouldn't be able to advance? Really? Of course in the film he goes to college. If this happened to me I would be going to a lawyer's office! Now I thought it was me, I hate Romantic comedies so when I saw the promo and I become livid , I thought it was my normal reaction , but no! This is so unfair that I want to scream. Do companies Assume everyone Will advance? Would they Really fire an employee Just because of a degree he didn't need to get hired in the first place? i don't think so. Am I the only one who went for the level I wanted and stayed there? I remember 21 years ago a co worker saying to me that this job isn't a career. Well i thought then who wants a career? So I thought I would ask you. Did you take your present job because it was a stepping stone or did you Want to stay at the level?
@bounce58 (17526)
I've always been ambitious. And I always think that every job I've had was a stepping stone to the next one. That's why I always try to work on my resume and start sending them out on my first day of a new job. Now that's not to say that I want a career. Selfishly, I just want to do the least, and earn the most. Not a Tom Hanks fan?
I love Tom Hanks But I'm not like my mom. She loved Alan Ladd and saw Every film he made , the good , the bad and the ugly! Me? I have to like the plot of a movie or I don't watch it. This plot made me livid.I thought it was my " normal" reaction to romantic comedies but no it was that " You must have a degree!" plot twist! My favorites of Tom's are Bachelor Party and Philadelphia, honorable mention Forrest Gump. I must have be absent when they passed out the ambition! I Never looked forward when I got my job. I was just grateful to get it. Now I'm so respected , it feels great.
@isloooboy (1741)
• United Arab Emirates
Who wants a Career? Well I think during student life everyone plan for good career and what kind of Job he want to get he choose subjects regarding to that direction. So yes everyone including me look for good, better and safe career. Present Job as stepping stone? Well I started my professional career from very low job and still I am working hard towards my goal which I set for me during Student Life, so yes it is but I am doing my present job with honesty. I want to clarify one more thing, "I am moving towards my path with right direction because I choose company related to my Goal. So its natural I can achieve my goal with this single company". I don't have to change my Job place but maybe just floor or room. So I am not ready to stay at the level where I am right now.
Hi Bhai. You did it the correct way. college is for learning what you need to know for the field you choose. Me? I got to live out my life's dream without graduating highschool. It had Nothing to do with a career or money.And everyone asked what I was going to do after school.Since I didn't have an answer, being a wife and mother was out!, I thought I Had no future. So instead of knowing that many don't know and it is ok. I thought , like with everything else, there was something wrong. And since I couldn't see a future meant I had no future. So after school I said I was looking forward to sleeping and watching hockey . But secretly I plan to die. The only reason I'm still here is because my mom convinced me it was ok. I got the job I still have and I'm happy. It is a low level job, the type students get As they go to college but I Still haven't gone through college. i will never move up. I may remain poor , money wise, but each day I get up and look forward to work.
@JenInTN (27565)
At first..I took the job for the money and didn't really expect to go anywhere else. Over time I saw people in house getting promoted. Then I kind of saw a chance to advance myself. It is a crazy thought that a company would fire someone for nothing more than not having a degree...I mean..once they are hired..they are in...even if they do stay at the same level. I really can't say what my job is to me right now. I have been there a long time though.
My job was my first job. It was suggested to me when I Finally thought I should get a job. It was my second interview and I have been there for 21 years on July 18th. There have been people who think I should have moved up. I even had a boss who tried to make me move up , but I didn't figure it out until she left!I'm the Alex Reager of my workplace. did you ever see the sit com Taxi? It was about cab drivers and Everyone was moonlighting except Alex. He scanned the room and said he is a boxer , she works at a art gallery , me? I'm a cab driver! that's how I feel about my job. Many want to do other things Me? I love what I do. and no degree is needed.
@kingparker (9698)
You have regretfully to say that, current job I have, it is not my career choice, it was just my temporary surviving job. With my current job, I couldn't go anywhere further. Instead, I need this job to pay off my debt first, then I would think about a stepping stone, an advanced job for my life choice. I saw this movie trailer, quite a hit for this summer for me.
As soon as you can, follow your bliss. Good Luck.
@blue65packer (11835)
O.K.! I have been trying to write this discussion so it makes sense and shows up! A few minutes ago I had it all done,poster the response and nothing! It didn't post and now I am again! Wher I work we had something similiar what happens in the movie.3 1/2 years ago,out old boss quit to take another job. The perfect canidite for the job was the guy who was working under the boss! He didn't get it because the big wigs wanted someone with a degree! Apparetny the guy who wanted the job wss not qualify! No degree! Ya they hired a guy with a degree! An #sshole! Only one person on campus likes him! My boss has ticked everyone else off! That is just the start! I could go on but it would keep on going for awhile! The big wigs probaly know they messed up hiring the jerk but won't admit it! So that ia my story!
A plague on them. They should have hired the guy they wanted. but no. so it's on them. what pi$$ed me off was that the movie made it seem that he got the job Without a degree and now he is fired because he doesn't have a degree. All I could see was a lawsuit waiting to happen. And this is the last thin the suits wanted me to take away from the movie trailer!
I agree that not everyone out there is in it for the competition, and besides, who says the guy can't advance, if he wanted to? There are a lot of geniuses out there who never had degrees, and look what they accomplished? I agree with you about hiring a lawyer, if this happened in real life.
Thanks! I thought it was just me!
@inertia4 (27651)
Put plain and simple, a job is a job and a career is a career. I never went to college but I landed very good paying jobs in my life. I was never in it for the competition or advancement. Although other thrive on that aspect. Being rich to me does not mean making millions, it means being truly happy. So, as society goes I am the little guy. Well, thats the way I like it.
@jillhill (37384)
Before I have the job I have now for the last 26 years...I had a job with alot of responsibility....24/7....365. I got my present job to stay in one area and go home and enjoy doing what I do without all the hassle...I work at home on the things I love and my job it perfect....not alot of hassle or responsibility...I got tired of it!