Father's Day went perfectly!

The grill - This is the grill just before hubby saw it
Many of you have read about the new grill I got hubby for Father's Day and how I planned to surprise him with it. I thought you'd all like to know how it went. I was so excited, as many of you know. I could hardly wait until Father's Day to present the grill. I knew he'd absolutely love it. I barely slept Saturday night as I was so excited. Then, I ended up waking up before 7am on Sunday (and I am not a morning person). I knew I could not wake hubby so early.. so after doing some computer stuff for awhile, I decided to go bake. I baked cupcakes for hubby, his second favorite flavor.. strawberry cake with strawberry frosting. (He gets his first favorite for his birthday every year). Then I made my homemade mac n cheese which is one of his favorites. Meanwhile, I pulled the grill out of the shed and set it up on the porch (which I needed the twins to help me with because the oldest was still sleeping too). Finally when I was done with all that it was around 10:30 and I could contain my excitement no more. I had the kids wake hubby up and give him the gifts they made for him in school. Then he went to use the bathroom and I had the kids gather outside. I had the oldest stand behind the grill to video tape hubby's reaction. I brought hubby outside with his eyes closed and properly positioned him before allowing him to open his eyes. His reaction.. and I have this on tape.. was "Whoa!... Wow!". Now that's saying something because my husband is not big on reactions, plus he was still half asleep! About 2 minutes later he asked me to give him something to grill!! Good thing I'd bought some frozen hamburgers to make for lunch.. he flipped through the owners manual a little bit, then grilled some burgers. Later for dinner he grilled some steaks, and used his side burner to saute some onions, peppers, and mushrooms. He loves his side burner! He called everyone he knew to brag about the grill, he immediately posted a picture of it to Facebook to brag some more. During dinner he posted this to his Facebook: "Steak on my awesome new grill and my wife's home made mac n cheese. Could Father's Day get any better? Absolutely not!!". So.. how was your Father's Day, if you celebrated it? Here's a pic of the new grill:
@margeryann (1853)
That's cool how you gave it to him.I'm glad it all worked out the way you wanted too. It is cool that he didn't wake up on you all bringing it outside. My husband is a early bird so I would probably have to have it put outside while he was a sleep for the night.I'm glad that he was so excited. I figures he would be.
Actually he did wake up as I was getting it out of the shed.. but he just went to the bathroom and went back to bed. I was scared for a moment when I came inside to get the twins and they informed me dad had gotten up.. I thought maybe he'd seen me.. but he didn't. None of us are early birds!!
I'm glad that he didn't go looking to see what you were doing since you weren't in bed.You got lucky then that he didn't catch you.That will be a memory he will probably will always remember!
Once I did wake him up he asked me where I'd been. He told me I was no where in the house (which is small, so he would have seen me no matter where I was) and I played it off like he had been dreaming or something.. Just kept shrugging my shoulders and saying "I was here, I didn't leave". So when he saw the grill he said "Oh, so that's what you were doing?".. yep..
@bounce58 (17524)
That's really great! I liked that him sleeping-in helped you in a way to get everything ready. And that when he did wake up, and saw his present, it was just in time for lunch, and some grillin'! We did celebrate it. Me and the kids went to a local all-you-can-eat Japanese restaurant which is their favorite!
I love bringing the kids to all you can eat places. It is like the only way to fill my kids up without breaking the bank!
I love that grill, it is really similar to the one that I got for my husband for his birthday a couple years ago. I'm sure that your husband will love using it to grill throughout the summer and if he is anything like Tom, he will also grill something occasionally during the winter. As far as our father's day, it was nothing really special. We are broke right now so we really couldn't afford to do gifts this year, but the fact that the cancer is being treated is gift enough in my opinion. We ended up going to Tom's parents house and having a barbeque between rainstorms.
We aren't able to do gifts every year either, that's what made this year that much more special.
@ANTIQUELADY (36488)
i'M SO GLAD IT TURNED OUT SO WELL. i NEVER thought u would wait to give it to him, lol. U are a good wife & mom.
I didn't think I'd hold out either.. but I'm glad I did. The moment was priceless!
@jillhill (37383)
You made me cry! I am so happy for all of you! I went out to our camper where my son and his family were staying....I brought his a reeses peanutbutter pie ....that is his favorite candy bar....but this was a pie...He loved it. My granddaughter and I had made him cards....he loved them too! He just got a new motorcycle so she had made him a card with a motorcycle on it...I stayed over last night....I think he had a very good day.
That sounds like a good way to spend the day! My daughter made her daddy lots of homemade cards too.. she loves doing stuff like that. She'd love to have you as a grandma because she's so crafty, but I am not!
@ravinskye (8242)
That's so great that he was so excited! Father's Day was okay here. He got breakfast in bed and then got to open his presents. Then he got to relax and play the xbox while the kids watched him. They love watching him play. He started to get a migraine though so he wasn't feeling the greatest. We went down to my parents house for a little while so that I could give my dad his present.
Sounds like you had a nice day as well. Other than the grill and the cooking, we did nothing special. We went to his father's for awhile to let the kids play, that was nice and relaxing. We also stopped at Walmart for a few minutes. After the kids went to bed hubby and I sat and watched a movie he's been wanting me to see for awhile. That was our day.
@lilybug (21148)
I am glad he loved his gift. You really did spoil him huh? A new grill, homemade mac and cheese, and cupcakes. (The strawberry cupcakes sound awesome btw.)
The cupcakes were nothing special.. just a box mix with pre-made icing from a jar.. you know. But it's special to him. When he was a kid his mom made the boxed cake mixes and baked them in a bundt pan.. then heated the frosting and drizzled it over the cake. Not sure why.. she was a little strange like that. It kind of drove him nuts.. all he ever wanted was a normal cake! So generally for his special days I make him a double layer cake.. nothing fancy, always the boxed mixes.. I'm not a great cake maker, but I can mix up a good boxed cake mix, LOL. I couldn't find my cake pans, so had to make cupcakes instead. He was still pleased.. at least it wasn't a bundt cake. He won't even allow me to own a bundt pan! LOL
@Opal26 (17690)
Hey kats! I'm so happy that you hubby was suprised! I know how hard it was for you to keep the secret for so long! I remember how bad you felt when you had to run out and by that "little grill" and you had already ordered the "real grill" for Father's Day. I'm sure your hubby had one of the best Father's Day ever and now you and your family can grill all summer! And, I am so jealous because me and my neighbor who used to grill (on one of those cheapy little grills) aren't speaking anymore and we really aren't supposed to grill in my neighborhood even though some people do it anyway. But, the area I live in has alot of nasty "tattletale" neighbors who wouldgo straight to the landlord! I'm really glad the day worked out so well! Hugs, Opal
Aww.. Well we've gone awhile without really being able to grill. Since our old gas grill broke, we've only had little charcoal grills and we don't use them too often because it gets expensive. Aside from the cost of the food, we also have to buy a bag of charcoal each time we want to grill. So for the past couple of years we've only really grilled occasionally. When our old gas grill was working we were grilling all the time, regardless of the weather. I'm really happy we're able to do that again. Actually tonight I plan on grilling some chicken!
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
I am so happy that it went perfectly for you all. he must have been so happy and will send happy times grilling. I was in Kingston and so went to my daughter's future in laws for a celebratory lunch. It was great. also great that you did not tell him the surprise and he really was surprised
Seeing his face as he saw the new grill was priceless.. I too am glad I did not ruin the surprise. It was awesome! Glad you had a nice day as well!
I am so glad to hear how much your husband enjoyed the grill. I know how excited you have been to give it to him as I've seen a lot of posts mentioning it. You must feel so proud that you picked out a gift that he really likes. I love his reaction and what he wrote on facebook how sweet. Great fathers day for your family.
Thanks. He really does love it.. and I knew he would!
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
That is incredibly cool, hooray!
@bunnybon7 (37692)
• Holiday, Florida
wonderful. i was hoping you'd let us know how it went. thats exactly the kind my son has. he really loves it. its really top of the line. isnt it funny how excited men get about cooking when its on a grill to cute.
Ah sounds like it went really well and he obviously loved it to post that on facebook! I am so glad he liked his great fathers day present! Have fun with the new grill! : )