Do you agree that children are more in touch with their emotions than adults?

I believe that adults have tendencies to suppress their emotions and it makes them more insensitive and less mindful of the feelings of others. These are due to the fear of experiencing pain by exposing their real feelings to other people. I, myself, is guilty of such. I can't freely express my emotions to my family and friends. But I am trying to undo that tendency. I now say to my niece my feelings to her and even try my best to vocalize my love to my parents and my sibling. It was hard initially but when I learned to express it, I got this satisfaction of seeing their smiles and knowing that my love for my family is reciprocated. Children finds it easier to express their feelings. Thus, it is very easy for them to understand us adults of what we are actually feeling. Just seeing our facial expressions, they know immediately if we are not happy or if we are mad. How I wish I can go back to that situation where it is easier for me to express my emotions. How about you, what is your comment on this?
I agree, children are more emotional than adults. They still don't know how to handle these emotions that's why their only option is to express them. Although I'm gonna have to disagree with you partly on why adults suppress theirs. You see, as we grow we learn a lot from our experiences. We act towards something based from our experiences that's why when something new is introduced to us, we get afraid because we're gonna have to learn new experiences. I would say an adult controls, not suppress emotions mainly because we can. If the situation is right, that's when we express them but if it's not then we control them. You can't just laugh in the middle of a meeting after seeing your officemate having a booger hanging up his nose.
Hahaha. There's sense in what you've said. Control is indeed more appropriate. However, if this control goes out of hand, anything that is too much, is not healthy. Thanks for participating in the discussion.
No problem. Yep, it's not healthy holding up too much emotions or it could lead to a nervous breakdown. That's why we need to keep all things in moderation. Don't get me wrong, I have so little control over my anger but I try to control it as much as I can. I tend to get physical at times but those times serve as learning experiences for me.
Your honesty is refreshing frontvisions101. That is the right way to see it. I wish you luck and hope that you'll get all the strength to control your anger.
@laydee (12815)
The loss of control of emotions is actually maturity. Just imagine if you're in a situation when you need to be the adult and be mature, you cannot just flaunt your real feelings all the time. Unlike kids, adults have more responsibilities and they need to act their part, else nobody would lead or take control of the family or situation. It's just like how some stars or idols just go about running loose. They're expressing themselves, right? They're not afraid to. They don't see the consequences of their actions - could we call them adults? I don't think so. All in all, it isn't bad to control emotions or not express feelings. We need to do that, else there would be a lot of confusion. Just imagine your father starting to weep because of spilled milk, that's something that's traumatic because we all expect adults to take a hold of their emotions. Sharing information, sharing emotion has the proper time and place. You don't flaunt it out every time you feel like it. Have a great MyLot experience today!
Hi laydee. You sounded like a very serious type of person. You are correct in some way. It's just that too much control is unhealthy and childishness is unhealthy as well. If we do things in moderation, we may have a well balanced life. Childlike behavior is nice to see from people. But too much may have a not so good result. My point though is that we as adults should relinquish some favorable traits of our childhood to have a happy feeling within us. Thanks for commenting.
@laydee (12815)
What I was trying to say is that there are two sides of the coin in anything. You can't always be childish, neither could one always be serious. There's a right time for everything. I was merely pointing out that controlling one's emotions has its advantages. Further, it would be weird if we act on our childish ways when we're older. We can't shout when we want to, right? Unless we're in a game. Neither could we just hang around and be lazy, most especially if there are little children, etc. All in all, we just need to know when the right moment is. Times like going to the beach, laughing with jokes, or simply smiling is enough. I guess adults have different ways of showing humor in their lives as those of kids. Regardless, it's still showing emotions. Still, kids would have better means of showing them because they can get away with it, after all, they're kids.
@axlrate7 (1366)
I totally understand what you really want us to see in this discussion. Children are so very special, they only see the world as a playground. They never think of tomorrow, what just they know is it always okay and happy and joyful! I always look at them and see how they play and smile and laugh. How I wish also to express myself as easily like a child... Nice discussion! God bless you! =D
Thank you very much axlrate7. I love children. Actually, I get energy and inspiration from them. I have a niece and a nephew who easily gives love back to us adults and they serve as joy of happiness to my family, specially me. Best regards to you.
@axlrate7 (1366)
Yeah, children are really amazing, and they really gives us inspiration. =D
Kids are more transparent and they aren't afraid to tell you what they're feeling. Adults are more inhibited because a lot of reasons that belong within the bracket of "life experience." As a theater performer, inhibitions are unnecessary and in the workshops and classes I've attended, we are encouraged to be childlike. Or to think like a child. This doesn't mean that we are to act kids and be all immature and clueless. We are to be inquisitive and to be honest about how we feel. My experiences on and off stage have brought me to spot in my life where I'm in tune with my emotions. Having moved out recently, we were all crying and I've never seen this happen in my family. My sister moved away two years ago and we weren't as emotional as we were when I left. I guess it's because I'm more vocal about how I feel. Our whole family went through my departure together and it was with transparency and honesty. Even though we're apart, we feel stronger and more bonded. All this is because we were honest about we felt.
Hi redmaryjane. It is good to know that you were able to be in tuned with your emotions. Basically, that is the key... "honesty". And if you would try to assess it, it is one of the traits of children. They can be as honest as they are. Have a nice day!
I cannot agree with you more. We adults have experienced a lot and we do no think something is strage or interesting, and sometimes we think too much. I am also not good at expressing myself. Sometims I just think it is not necessary to say something out, and other people must understand me. But actually no one knows what i am thinking. But my niece can always tell me what she wants and how she feels.Then I know how to fulfill her and make her happy. See, children are more good at expressing themselves.
Exactly. That's my point. If others would understand us easily, then they will know the things that would make us happy. However, we still have to consider the right words to say. Have a nice day!!!
Children express their feelings better than adults. Adults are taught to suppress their emotions in order to please other people. Then, the adults teach the children to keep their emotions hidden. It sometimes gets to the point where people feel like they are putting on a mask every morning in order to make themselves seem normal. In other cases, these people become so out of touch with their emotions that they are actually lying to themselves because they are afraid to accept their feelings.
Wow! You've hit the point - "...people become so out of touch with their emotions that they are actually lying to themselves because they are afraid to accept their feelings." I've promised to myself that I will be true to my feelings. I will worry if I want to and will be happy when I have the chance. It's hard to just keep your emotions to yourself. I may become susceptible to pain but that heals faster than keeping it to yourself. Thanks for commenting.
@asyria51 (2870)
I can empathize with other people's feelings and situations, that does not mean that as an adult they do not need the harsh truth and to be told to get over it. Young children do not have the self control to handle their emotions, so it is obvious what they are feeling. As you grow up, you learn that if you do not get your way, you cannot throw yourself down on the ground and throw a temper tantrum. I do not suppress my feelings, I feel them but I feel them privately sometimes. It can be hard to express my feelings outward with certain people, but that is more a commentary on the relationship than it is on an ability to express the emotions.
Hi asyria51. You sound like a very profound and wise person. Thanks for your inputs. It makes me think again and count the benefits of being an adult. The fact is I am already in this age and I cannot bring back the hands of time. It is also unwise to have regrets. Best regards to you.
Children are like uncut jade and unrefined gold ,they are innocent and artless,so they can free to express their feelings such as joy, anger,sadness and happy.As to adult,they have rich experience of life and keep in mind at any time that they do not speak out of turn.
In the eyes of a child, life is a lot easier. How they cope with issues is much simpler. But there are good things to being adults. We become stronger despite complications. It's just that we sometimes misses the right approach to life. For children, it doesn't hurt much after having a fight with their playmates. But in our adult's life, we usually end up severing the relationship after a fight.
@EdnaReyes (2628)
Children can easily express their emotions because they have nothing to lose. They are not bother by what will others have to say about it.They have no concerns on how this will affect them. Adults have so many things to consider before they can easily open up or show their emotions. There's society, works, duty and people's judgements. We have been children once and all of us have this undying wish to go back to this phase of life since in this time we are all free-spirited and can do anything we want. But as we grow older, slowly and little by little, the free space wherein started to build fences that restrict not only our movements but also our emotions and freedom!
Very good assessment. That exactly are the reasons why we, as we grow old, tend to lose the freedom that we used to enjoy. Instead of growing up and developing the capabilities to explore the world, we tend to lose our freedom because the world becomes a constricted place to live in. Now, how to have freedom can still be achieved. We just need to unlearn the fear and relearn the basics. Thanks for commenting.
@raj_gupta (312)
Adults are expected to behave in a certain way and hence at times have to suppress what they actually want to do. Kids can laugh if they feel something is funny but an adult has to see the situation first! Kids can fight with some one and be their best pal the next day but by the time we reach adulthood everyone develops an ego, a sense of respect for self and hence a fight is a fight. How I wish the world would expect child like behavior from adults, at least where ever possible with out giving tons of consideration to it!
Hi raj_gupta. I have the same sentiment. How I wish I'm still like a child. But you are correct, adults tend to develop some sense of self respect. But is that what we really wanted? Be more complicated and not being true? I can go away with the childish temperaments but what I want to maintain is the childlike approach to life. Thanks for commenting.
• Netherlands
I believe this is true. Especially young baby's. They don't have any other way to know how things are. I mean they just feel if you are feeling good, sad or happy. My experience was that I suffered of depression when I had a baby. The baby just cried and cried. At a day I decided to get help because I was feeling so down and felt like a weight was lifted from my shoulders. That same day the baby smiled for the first time and since that day it was just another kid. As if he felt I was feeling like crap before. Als small kids sense thing very good. Your kid trust you and if you get scared of anything it is very probable the kid will also be scared. Are you smiling a lot, probably your kid is also a smiley one and so on..
Yes, you are right. I noticed that my niece who lives with us smiles a lot and is a happy kid. It's because we don't allow unhappiness persist in our family. Before, we had lots of differences. But we learn to accept each other. My niece knows that she belongs to a family who loves her a lot. I wish you happiness and enjoy commenting here in mylot.
hi snowhybiscuis children are honest and open and if they are sad they will bawl, mad they will yell, and so on with any emotion.We adults are told not to do these things so we stifle our natural emotions and thus stress out then take pills and get side effects. Sometimes when you are sad,crying is actually good for you as it relieves a lot of stress.. An adult will not usually hug her friend and say I love you even though we do feel that way. sad at times too.I know what you mean as I was raised in a family where we did nogthug or caress yet we loved each otherl but I was blessed with a hubby who did hug and caress and showed me how to show my love too. I worked with a Jamacian male nurse who at first really startled me. He would come up and put his hand on my shoulder,"{Mrs Hatleyh would you you do me a favor. I am behind on these meds and you are now acquainted with the rooms. Could you take these meds to the patients on the left side of the hall? He smiled " you are a little unc omfortable with my hand but we are taught to show our emotions and I am just telling you what a great help you are tonight" I got used to him and he was wonderful to work with as he was never grouchy or hard to talk to. the patients all praised him too.My own dad never held me or rocked me but my mom did and was a toucher all her life.
I like what you've shared here, Hatley. Hugging or touching is indeed comforting if done properly. You would know a friendly gestures compared to those ill-intended touch or advances. A person can accept a friendly hug and avoid or prevent unfavorable advances. It is in our nature as humans. Thanks for sharing. All hugs to you and happy mylotting.