Were you a fat kid? how to react if someone ask you this?

@chiyosan (29419)
This afternoon while i was getting ready to go home, the lady receptionist in our office well, was kind of really nosy.. almost all happenings in the world of our company - she knows. I was surprised she asked me if i was fat when i was a kid. Well i have to admit i am a little chubby and i was surprised she asked me that question. it was not so much of a big deal if we were close, but for someone who i only see whenever i go in and out of the office door... that kind of took me by surprise and it offended me. her timing was just really bad... coz over two weeks ago, i started dieting too and well i am only having fruits for lunch and kind of i know i need to lose the extra 20 pounds.. but heck... i am still affected. =( If you were asked of a sensitive matter... how would you react? Would it bother you?
@Bebs08 (10689)
I will be offended of course if I will be asked questions like this. But it is good to just hold your temper for issues like this specially if you are in the work place because it is not worth to have arguments with her.
@chiyosan (29419)
Appreciate your response to the discussion, thank you very much and have a nice day! see you around the site! =P
@chuyins123 (2118)
Well if there's a perfect timing, there surely is what we call a bad bad bad timing. And this is just one of them. If you could still hold your self in, compose yourself, and let it go, it would be great, but if not, I hope you handled it well, still "poise under pressure" as they say. Just a few weeks ago, I have been trying to gain weight, I mean, I am not that skinny but I don't want to seem malnourished. LOL. So I did a lot of eating to gain weight, but one friend of mind just told me "hey, you looks like your getting thinner" wow, it alarmed me, it sort of offended me in a way, but i shrugged it off, he didn't do it purposefully to hurt me, besides he's my friend. So as to your case, well maybe she's formulating some theories in her mind, that she wants to mix up with some facts. So she did some research. Well, for now, just let it go, shrug it off. Ignore it. Go on. Don't let her get to you. I am telling you, you're already doing great. and you're getting better everyday. Continue being a better you every day. God bless.
@chiyosan (29419)
@naija4real (1293)
If I am ask some kind of sensitive question. I will tell that person that I can not remember at the moment the answers he or she is seeking for. I think that statement will end the process of asking me. I can also pretend to be deaf or and I will tell that person to excuse me and I will leave the environment.
@chiyosan (29419)
I would definitely be offended. It's rude and inappropriate to ask someone that, especially since you barely see her. She had no right to ask you that. You should've thought of something clever to say that would make her feel just as bad. I have a tip for your dieting...don't do it. While you're on a diet you'll crave so many different types of food because you're telling yourself you can't have them. Eventually, you'll break down and eat all these foods that you didn't allow yourself to have before. This happens to so many people when they diet, it ends up backfiring and you don't stick to the original diet. Your best bet would be to modify the way you used to eat. Have smaller portions and try and add healthy fruits and vegetables. There's nothing wrong with eating all the things you like, just do it in moderation and smaller portions. That way, you won't be tempted to eat all those foods because you're already eating them. This type of dieting works best in the long run because you won't binge and eat a bunch of stuff and cause you to gain weight. If you moderate portions, add healthy things to your diet, and do some light exercise, you'll be able to lose weight.
@chiyosan (29419)
i wa offended. anyway i just disregarded the question.
@ravisivan (14055)
Much depends on the timing of remark. If it is made in humorous when we are not in crowd ok. But when the same remark is made in presence of others then i will get angry.
@chiyosan (29419)
oh it wasn't humorous. grrrr Appreciate your response to the discussion, thank you very much and have a nice day! see you around the site! =P
@laydee (12814)
It depends on the situation. I think if I wasn't really in the mood and her tone of voice was somewhat offended, I would be offended too. However, if I don't get to see her a lot and know that she's the type to be that insensitive, perhaps I could give her a piece of my mind. I'm thinking that I'd probably say "Yeah, why did you ask?" and after she says her statement (and it's not something pleasing), I'd probably say this before walking out: "I could tell YOU were an ugly kid!" hahahahahaha.. However, come to think of it, we can't really react smartly when we're not ready or when we were caught of guard. I would have probably kept quiet, ignored the question and just left. But it would have been cool if I had gotten to state those words, wouldn't it? Don't worry bout it, people who are nosy are not really happy in their real lives that's why they tend to look for excitement from other people's reactions. Have a great MyLot experience today!
@chiyosan (29419)
oh i wish i could have said those words to her, i do not see her now anyway.. :D Appreciate your response to the discussion, thank you very much and have a nice day! see you around the site! =P
@gaiza12 (4889)
It would bother me of course. Why would she ask me that kind of questions when were not even that close. I would understand if we were already close and that I already consider her one of my close friends but if not, I will really be bothered. She doesn't have the right to ask me that because I look chubby now, that for me is already hitting below the belt. I will also feel insulted and a little hurt. But on the positive side, I will be determined to lose some weight as well. Don't bother getting back on your receptionist, just think of it in a positive way and show to her that you can be more sexier than you are already now. :)
@garson (886)
Did you ever ask her: "Why are you asking...?" or something like that? Like any comments here, it just depends on situations. To me, if it's not related to any topic, I would defend and ask the reason for asking a specific question. If something that really bothers me, I would just be frank and say that I don't feel like talking about it.
@piyoz000 (90)
it depends on how she said it. i'm not that fat when i was a kid, but recently i became fat and try to go on diet. in case this situation bothers me, i'll return the question back to her.
The question was sensitive because of how you were feeling. It depends on the person actually. That kind of question would never bother me because i'm in a totally different situation. The heaviest i got was only 55kg and that was 4 years ago and at that time i didn't even looked fat but since i was a kid i was never fat at all. I only started gaining weight after i had a DNC due to blighted pregnancy when i was 28 years old. I was such a skinny girl before that. So when i was 55kg and my friends in law school saw me for the first time, they called me a whale but that didn't affect me one bit. In fact i was happy because i have never been fat all my life. And they called me a whale not because i was fat but because it was really surprising to see me from 40kg to 55kg. That was an additional 15kg. But as you can see my situation is totally different from yours. I'm never sensitive about my weight and my only concern is to gain and not lose.
Awww I feel sorry for you, but don't take it too personally. I know how you feel, always being a bit bigger than everybody else and struggling to lose weight. And you shouldn't feel bad that these things offend you. If you've been struggling with your weight for so long, and it really has become a hard and personal issue, then don't feel bad. It would probably bother me as well. If I just started a diet and am trying my best to lose weight, and then someone obviously pointing out that I probably wasn't thin as a child, it would definitely offend me. Just don't feel too bad. If anything, this should give you an extra push and more motivation to achieve your goal. You can use it as fuel. Anger probably isn't the best fuel, but it still is one. And that woman who said it probably wasn't trying to offend you. She was probably just curious. But I couldn't tell from your story.
@Jessi_T (380)
I have been ask questions about my "childhood" that kind of effected me honestly, some of them made me a little "hurt" but I always just answer truthfully. If someone were to ask me if I was fat as a kid, my answer would be no but I had a lot of other problems. I think that receptionist was very rude and tacky to ask you that. After all you said you weren't close so she should of minded her own business. But my answer is I would be honest and then think to myself later. "What a rude B****!!!" When I was alone.
@GemmaR (8526)
I wouldn't actually mind if someone asked me that, because I am rather fat at the moment and am making the effort to lose weight at the moment so I would tell anyone who asked the truth. I am proud of what I have achieved over the past year, and would not have changed what I have been through for anything. I would not be the person I am now without some of the bad things that have happened in my life, so even though a lot of them were incredibly painful at the time I am thankful for them because they have changed me for the better.
I was very very thin when I was in primary school. My best friend at that time was a girl having overweight problem. You can imagine how strange it was when we two came together and played happily. So our classmates always teased us about our outlook and friendship. They even called us "monkey and pig"!!!! I did not feel angry, but my friend, was very unhappy. She went to a nutritionist, went on a diet, spent more than 10 years to have 60 pounds lost!!!! Now she looks great! I am sure everyone cares about their appearances, and it is normal that a friend is curious about us. I think the only thing you can do is to identify their reason of asking you that question. If the purpose of the question is to tease you, just ignore her; if the real purpose is to care about you, want you to beware of your weight problem, you should be happy to have such a honest and true friend in your life!
@gicolet (1704)
She asked you that question out of the blue? How rude! I would have said yeah but not as fat as you were and then laugh it off like it really was no big deal, wish her a good day and walk away. If I would be asked a sensitive matter I would always throw it back to the person...turn the table on him/her to see how it feels. What a nosy b*tch who has nothing exciting going on in her life. Cheer up...show her that you're a lot of a better person than her and that there are other things that matters to you than her rude questions and comments.