I am so confused about the chores you all mentioned..

Today,I want to be ready with what ever it is we will talk about with kk. I don't know what chores she could do to earn money. We are all living with adrian now. Here in this house everything is cleaned as we go. we all wash our own dishes as we use them. No dish is ever left in the sink. we all clean the bathroom at any given time. so it is always spotless. We all wash our own clothes. Kk has washed her own clothes since she was 9. I really think 8. There is nothing here for her to clean. adrian does not let a dust ball settle long enough to have her dust either. He is always with the windex washing windows and mirrors. so,she really has nothing here to do. I want to make her earn this one time amount she will be getting. So,where do I go now...
@ravisivan (14053)
If she is interested she can take up baby sitter jobs or teaching assistant job in montessori schools or day care centres. This is possible if u have similar establishments near ur place or reachable by public transport.
She could also work or volunteer at a community center or something. She wouldn't get paid, but she would earn her allowance for doing something good like this.
She would love to do this is a animal shelter I will talk to her about this. Thanks
@ravisivan (14053)
How I wish the child gets some good opening and feels good about herself. I can only wish and pray to God that He should get her the desired chances. have a nice day.
It sounds like she doesn't need to do chores. But maybe personal things for Adrian or you. Or keeping a respectful tone. Her behavior. Keeping up with what she is supposed to be doing. And I really think she needs to have an allowance. Starting to budget her money. She gets so much and she has to budget it. Maybe she gets it in incraments at certain times of the week. And she has to do what she is supposed to be doing. Looking for work,etc. But I really think that a set amount is very important.
We are going to give her one set amount for the month. I may break it up into two weeks. to help it last longer. She will have to make it last because I am trying to pay off bills and will not slack up on it. I did not cut off my internet and phone to give her the extra cash.
I think she will be thankful in the long run. Teach her to budget.
What about taking care of the pets? Maybe she could do some stuff like organizing things on the computer. Take out the trash? File things that need filing. I could put a kid to work shredding my things that have personal information on them. Maybe she could do that.
I will see if she want to go to the animal shelter and work there.
This is kind of hard, because everything is kept up so she can't really do cleaning. I would have her continue to do what she does... make her bed, clean her room, and maybe there could be some list of chores that Adrian could leave for her to do. Someone mentioned about paying her to keep behaving in a certain way... so maybe she should be rewarded for keeping her tempter and being home at a decent time at night, and stuff like that. Someone else mentioned about cleaning other people's houses, but I'm not sure about that. Anyone could accuse her of stealing or whatever, and she wouldn't have a way to defend herself. I don't think I would do that.
Your response is what I too had in mind that if she can control her behavior and not have the constant reminders of what she already does then it would be okay to get the allowance.
Thanks HWG...I think it can be very challenging to change one's behavior. But over time by positive reinforcement (the allowance) can be very helpful.
This is the best thing I see right now. Because it would mean the world to me if she could do this. told her today she needs to humble herself if she expects to keep a job.
@carmelanirel (20979)
notlistening took my suggestion, what about neighbors? Some neighbors need help, but can't afford to pay someone who does cleaning for a living, but might be able to afford to pay your daughter a some amount to help them..
We don't live in a good neighborhood where I would trust this. there are too much crime her for me to allow this.
What about the community center? Or some other public place that is safe? Even a church, if you are still going, could use help sometimes..
Since all cleaning is already done, I would say that you both can say that she is to make sure without a question that her things are completely done weekly. If at any time she needs constant reminders then she gets no money. I would also say that her behavior should also be accounted for. If she is not tolerant to your rules then she does not get her allowance. If you decide this is the route to go you do have to be consistent with it.
This is what we just talked about. Now it is up to us to sit down with her and be on the same page. I said $300 a month he said $200
I would say $200 but maybe you two can agree on $250.00 you will then meet in the middle. lol
@Nadinest1 (2040)
I read a long time ago about what svhores kids should get paid for....and what chores should be just a given...considering they're living in the house. Pay kids to do any chore that you wouldn't ordinarily do....like spring cleaning out closets, basements...things that are not part of the everyday cleaning routine. I hope this helps. My kids try to get paid for putting in and piling the winter's wood in the basement....I just say "I think you enjoy the heat each winter, so you are not getting paid". They don't even ask anymore.
I had adrian laughing at this. I had to go tell him about the heat.
@Nadinest1 (2040)
lol
@carolscash (9500)
Well, it is great that he does so much around there, but maybe he should give her things to do and see that she does them. I would say that you could also give her a time to be in by and see that it is followed as well as being respectful to the two of you.
She really does not go out so we don't worry about this part too much. If she is gone we know she is right down the block at my sisters house. and adrian will drive to pick her up.
If there is nothing additional that can be done at home, she should be given an allowance of some sort for the work that she does do in the house. If she needs more money beyond that, I would suggest seeing if any neighbors have chores that they would like for her to do for them. Also, babysitting is a great way of making money for a teenager as well. If she wants to get a real job, the best suggestion that I can offer is working in fast food.
@sid556 (31003)
That's how it is in our home. I never paid my kids for chores unless it was something really big and extra. For the most part, it was our home and up to all of us to keep up with it. How about giving her a small allowance and she will have to just make it last. If you are providing food and shelter etc then she just needs a little pocket money. Is there any way that she could get a job for the summer?
@stephcjh (32327)
I'm not really sure. It sounds like you all have everything covered. Maybe she can get the mail and things like that. How about laundry or taking out the trash?
Perhaps she coulld do chores for busy neighbours!