What could be making me so cold all the time..

I had the gastric bypass and they told me before hand I would have a chance of feeling cold afterwards. Boy is it ever the truth. today was 81 degrees and i could not enjoy the day because to me it was freezing outside. last night i had to turn off the fan because i was freezing. Just now I turned it off while adrian is sleep because I am freezing. Adrian was about to put the ac on till he saw my face. Right now I am wearing a very thick pair of winter house pants and a think sweat shirt. I can't for the life of me figure out what to do.I am no anemic and I am taking vitamins too.
Because I am very anemic I am always cold all the time. I am wondering if you perhaps are coming down with a cold. You have done quite a bit lately and wondering if your resistance is low somewhat. It could very well be the gastric bypass that is causing this, therefore, I would suggest you call your doctor and see if there is anything they can recommend. I know you say you are not anemic but wondering when was your last CBC blood test to make sure.
I am going to make an appointment with the doctor who did my operation they should help me right.
I think it is an excellent idea. You have done quite a bit lately so maybe just a little lack in supplements. Hope all goes well.
Are you taking B12 shots Gifts? The bypass will deplete your store of Vitamin B12... I've been taking it for 3 years now.
@sedel1027 (17855)
I hope I never need one of those. I am already freezing. My husband was complaining earlier that the a/c on 78 was too hot (keep in mind it was 103 outside). He flipped on the fan and I put on my sweatshirt
It could very well be just too much cold, like drafty in her apartment. I see you too are like us where it can be so hot outdoors and even a fan running makes us cold.
There is no draft here. These are very good windows. I am cold no matter where I go or what i do.
Oh it is so nice to know someone who can share with me. have to get some of those pills. I am taking b-12 and biotin and prenatal vitamins and a multi and still I am so cold all the time. I know how it saved me because I would cry just trying to walk down the street. My feet hurt like crazy and so did my bones. When I got a shot in my foot that day i knew I was going to have it done. I had it august of 2009. I lost 103 pounds.
That seems to happen a lot when people lost a drastic amount of weight. My sister went on a diet and exercise plan she made up herself, and lost 160 pounds in a year and a half. Now she is constantly cold. She will have to pull out a blanket in the air conditioning in summer she gets so cold.
I lost 140 and gained some of that back, but I'm losing it again... I get cold quite often when others are hot. I have hot flashes though too at time when others are comfortable... so go figure?!
I am always cold when others are super hot. My mothers house is so cold I don't even go there as I was before. adrian be freezing me out so bad too.
@stealthy (8188)
A possibility of something you might want to have checked is your thyroid gland by having the level of the hormone it produces checked; it should be a simple blood test. It has a lot to do with how cold or hot you feel. I don't recall which effects it which way, too much hormone is one way and too little is the other way.
@Masihi (4228)
I second this motion, as the thyroid is very important to the body that it's working properly. If your thyroid isn't working correctly, then a lot of things don't work properly. Perhaps the surgery has affected that as well? Just a question to ask your doctor.
I have graves disease and that makes me cold too but it has to be the gastric bypass making me this cold. it happened after I had it. I am going to have it checked this summer though. Thanks guys
How long ago did you have the gastric bypass? I had mine in 2001 on October 30th... and I do at times get cold... but not all the time. I also get hot flashes where it feels like i am in a tub of hot water on a hot day. It feels awful to me. I'm so glad I had the bypass though, it really changed my life. A gastric bypass depletes us of our vitamins. I have to take Vitamin B12 every month in a shot. My daughter gives them to me. I think it can mess with your thyroid too and that can make you feel cold. If you are pouring out calories you may not be getting enough to keep your body warm.. the body's main job is to maintain body heat, but if you cannot retain enough calories you can get cold... you will know if you aren't retaining enough calories if you are still losing weight without trying.
Yes I am still losing weight and not trying. I had it in august of 2009 and I am freezing all the time. I have graves disease which is a thyroid condition which also could be why I am cold. My thyroid was fine after the operation I had it checked. But,it is time to have some blood work done and soon. i can't eat much food and what I can eat sometimes bother me so I don't eat it anymore like chicken can get me messed up,mangos get me sick,any rice over two table spoons will hurt me. I have to eat little bits here and there.
I don't have any problems like that.. I can eat about 8 ounces at a time. Sometimes a bit more.. but 8 ounces comfortably. I wish I couldn't eat much of anything... I've had no bad side effects really.. I get dumping syndrome if I drink sweet liquids, but can eat a candy bar with no problems.
It seems like women that are smaller feel this way, My daughter smokes and she says she feels this way at time. But then she is going through the change so it is probably a relief to her when she does. haha No fat to keep you warm so get used to it girlfriend! Eat some kidney beans and drink some real grape juice. You need some IRON. Think of the alternative. Hot! Hot! Hot!
I will see if i can get some pills. I know I can't go on like this much longer. thanks so much
It also has to do with your circulation. If you rub your legs and arms to get the circulation going you find that you warm up a bit. Not sure what would help that other than the rubbing.
@stephcjh (32328)
It might be because of you losing the weight. If you lost some cellulite with it, that could cause you to be cold too.
Wow that is true...
Wow see we all learn new things here in discussions as stephcjh you are right. I tend to know when I am losing weight. Even at the minimal as I can feel the difference in being cold and headaches are stronger too. Thanks stephcjh this helps.
@RitterSport (2452)
• Lippstadt, Germany
hi giftsandbags, could it be possible you need more real warm nourishing food than what you eat? even if you can just eat a small helping cause of the gastric bypass?
That could very well be the reason too.
That is really unusual. I don't know much about gastric bypass, but that sounds like the most annoying side effect in the world. I have a urinary tract infection this week, and the pills that I am on are making me tired as hell. LOL I hate side effects!!
I could only imagine how bad that must be.
Hi friend I am sure it is side effect of the surgery, a classmate of mine, my age 65 had it last year, and he feels cold all the time, though our country is warm. You must take care of yourself lol Thanks for sharing God bless you, have a nice day ahead. Professor ‘@Bhuwan@’. .
I used to work with several women that had had a gastric bypass surgery and one of the girls told me that she would always be really cold when she wasn't as active as she typically was because her metabolism was lower than it usually was. However, I tend to think that the reason that you are cold all the time is because of the fact that you don't have the padding that you used to have to protect you from the elements.
@Suzieqmom (2763)
You should go to your doctor, of course, and have blood work done, but as a quick fix, I would try doing jumping jacks or run in place or something. I am in perimenopause and alternate between being really hot and really cold. When I am super cold, I try to do some fast physical exercise that will get my blood circulating and increase my heart rate as quickly as possible. This does tend to warm me up for a bit. Certainly not a long-term solution, but maybe a way to temporarily make you feel more comfortable. Good luck!
@aisha209 (45)
My be you should try some Iron pills. they will make your blood thicker. When ppl have surgery it takes a while to heal. Give it some time and just eat a lot of vegetables.Remember eat the dark green not the light green. The darker the better P.S I wish I could be cold in 81 degree weather I can not stand the heat.Take care.