Ma'am, Ma'am, MA'AM!

@SomeCowgirl (32273)
I was calling to cancel a subscription I did for an offer to go through on a website and I swanny if some people just don't get it! I mean, okay maybe it's there job to have to say all that but I said "Ma'am, please just stop, I want my account cancelled and that is all. Please I don't care about that, just cancel my account." She goes on to keep talking about it, I said "Ma'am, Ma'am.. please I'm not trying to waste anymore of your time or mine," and she finally got it. I guess they have to say what they have to say but after the first time someone says "Stop" they should be allowed / should stop what they're saying and just do as the person asks. I didn't want to be rude but I stopped listening to her after I could tell she was going to start on with the "please stay with us." She wanted to know "I said I got what I needed out of it, thank you." It's like seriously, please. Does anyone know anything about telemarketing? Do you have to keep pestering the customer even after they say please stop? I mean do you have to read a script or some such thing no matter what? I think that if you do, the lasw on that need to be changed, it only wastes peoples time. If they want to come back, they will, but if you pester them they won't. How do you feel about this? Was I in the right?
I worked in telemarketing and customer service for nearly thirty years. Usually there is a script that you have to go by. It is their jobs! It is very stressful because of this. I remember when I was young and just starting in a telemarketing job. If the customer asked me something to get me off my script I was lost. Until I knew the business and had some experience I was flustered real easy.
@SomeCowgirl (32273)
I am sure it's a stressful job and not something that I would want to do. I would get really aggravated about it myself, and hurt / angry when a customer was mean to me but as a customer I know how it feels to be on the receiving end. Though I'm not a telemarketer, I can understand how stressful it must be.
It really is. Nothing I would want to do very long. And I have been on the receiving end and it is frustrating for both.
@SomeCowgirl (32273)
I have a cousin who did it for a bit, i think maybe a month or just a few weeks, either way she didn't last long. I think she was always being yelled at. If any kind of phone operator I'd rather be say a bank telephone operator or a cellphone tech support as it doesn't seem to be as much stressful.
@Lakota12 (42794)
I was told if you hear NO three times then it should be over
@SomeCowgirl (32273)
Really? Well I believe I said atleast twice, I don't belive I actually said it a third time. I'll keep that in mind for next time, and if they still bother me with it I may just ask to speak to a supervisor and give them an earful.
@Lakota12 (42794)
Not sure you will get a super. just remember to say no 3 times then hang up I do
I hate when telemarketers are overly pushy. She should have stopped when you told her you were not interested. I know that the telemarketer was doing her job, but she should have respected your wishes and stopped when you asked her too.
@SomeCowgirl (32273)
I even told her "I don't want to waste anymore of your time or mine." The minutes she spent trying to get me to stay she could have been using to get someone who would stay to stay. Oh well, I don't have to worry about it anymore as it's cancelled.
Did the company send you a letter or give you a confirmation number that it was canceled. I had a situation where I was told that something was canceled and then found out that the company lied to me and I was charged. I had a hard time disputing the charge, but I did end up winning. I had to climb to the top to get it cancled once and for all, but I won.
@stephcjh (32385)
I think you were in the right. They will not take no for an answer alot of times. I just go on and hang up on them because they will not shut up about it.
@SomeCowgirl (32273)
I would have if I didn't need to make sure it was cancelled! she got a bit "rushed" towards the end with saying "good bye thanks for calling have a nice day." I did wish her a nice day but I doubt she heard me.
@13tyates (1611)
Yup good ol' telemarketers. They will eat away at your soul trying to get you to either join them or stick with them. I know it is bad enough that they will not stop talking sometimes, but what gets me even more worked up is when they pronounce my last name wrong. That just hits me in the wrong place and makes me REALLY mad. I guess it's a job for them though, I would probably not make it as a telemarketer as they get yelled at all the time.
@SomeCowgirl (32273)
oh and that is EXACTLY what she did. She said my last name wrong, she used a P instead of a T. I corrected her and she said "that's what I said" I was like "riiiiight, no it wasn't." I had to call them because the number I had called no one could hear me on!
What you did was perfectly fine. When I was seventeen I briefly did telemarketing. I quit because I hated it and people would curse at me before I even got ten words out. But yes, they are told to keep going even if you say no. The script gives different things to say after each rejection. The one I had told me to keep trying to get them to buy it three times before finally giving up. So she is supposed to do that. And she could get in trouble if she doesn't. Another thing I know because I worked as one, is that the boss checks in on the line you are using. So he can hear what you are saying to the customer any time he wants to. And if he/she doesn't press the customer and gives up after the first time, they could get in trouble. The whole thing is stupid. They shouldn't make the telemarketers pester the people when they say no. Because those people have every right to want to be left alone. Also, when you get a call trying to sell you something you can tell them to take your name and number off of their list. They are legally obligated to. I don't get that many calls anymore because I'm on the do not call list.
@bounce58 (17527)
I think telemarketers are well trained to sidestep any comment you make, to let their message out. Or their sales pitches. I'm sure that whatever we say, they almost already have a scripted response so the conversation will be led to a sales pitch. We get frustrated, but I think it's just part of their job.