I almost mastered the bbq grill

Hello fellow mylotters. I barbequed some chicken today. I really do not like to use the bbq, but I love how it tastes. I put a small amount of briquets on the grill, then splashed some fluid on it, let it soak in, gave it another dose, and another for good measure. Then I wondered how I was going to light it. Using my lighter probably would result in lost eyebrows, so I had a bright idea to get a piece of junk mail to burn. The wind began kicking up as I decided this. I lit the paper and set it on the charcoal, quite pleased with myself. There was no flame! The paper was burning without a flame. I lit it again and again, and finally I managed to get the fluid lit. O, my. The flames leaped through the air, and I stood back to wait. Finally I could put the lid on it. Opened the lid about 10 minutes later and almost got burned. I kept waiting and waiting, opening it periodically. Finally it seemed the smell of the fluid was gone, and the coals were hot so I put the chicken on. When the juice started to get onto the charcoal, there was more flame and the smell of fluid was in the air. O, boy. Now my chicken is going to taste like fluid instead of charcoal I thought. But that did not happen, lucky for me. Then I realized the briquets should have had some grey on them before I threw the meat on. Eh, live and learn. Usually my friend lights the grill for me, but this time I tried it myself. I am very pleased to say that I did not burn the bbq sauce this time! I cooked it just right. One of the stray cats came to join me for dinner, so I grabbed some cat food from the cupboard to feed him and enjoyed my bbq chicken, complete with extra bbq sauce, just the way I like it. The cat may have fancied the chicken, but instead he got kibble. He laid down under the table when he was finished to keep me company while I finished the chicken. Yum! Have you mastered the grill, or are you still attempting to learn how to cook outside? What is the worst thing that ever happened to you when you were using the bbq?
@ebuscat (5949)
For me yes it is good and have nice to taste I like to eat that but not everyday it can cause seas in your body and active the cancer cells.
What is seas? I think the only way it can increase the cancer cells is by eating overcooked food that is charcoaled. Then again, with all the preservatives in our food, who knows what it is doing to our bodies. I'll take my chances with my grill, it is soo delicious!
@mysdianait (63977)
seas = disease maybe?
• Guam
You have to wait longer, even if gas smell sees gone. The brisquets or charcoal have to almost completely gray before you put meat on grill. If you need to clean grill but have no brush. Use crumpled foil and brush the grill. It works good. When you need to cut meat and the cutting board is moving alot. Use a wet paper towel on one side and place it under the cutting board. Try using wood instead of charcoal. It will taste better. Try using soy sauce, lemon juice, sliced, white onions, and if you want,some bud light or bear as a marination. Soak the meat for a couple hours if you like or overnight in a container if you want. Worst thing to happen on a grill is if the fire gets too hot and the fat on the grill makes the fire big. Have a bottle of tap water ready too cool fire down but use enough to cool it, not kill it. Chicken takes the longest to BBQ. Have fun.
@lilybug (21182)
I would not say that I have mastered cooking out on the grill, but I do a decent job of it. I have used my grill 3 times so far this summer. Every time the food came out pretty darn good. The worst thing that has happened to me while cooking out on the grill would be the second to last time I used it. I had run in the house to grab something and I forgot to put my shoes on when I went back outside. I just happened to step on one of those ashy gray coals that had fallen out the bottom of the grill. It was a nice bright red on the inside still, so it melted the skin on the bottom of my foot.
Ouch! O my that must have hurt beyond words.