weird lil flies

I'm an avid line dryer when it comes to my wash during warm weather here. Now over the years I've noticed this fly that I'd say is half the size of a regular house fly that clings onto my clothes lines and then dies. Is this not weird? Anyone know why these flies cling to my clothes line only to die? The other day I counted atleast 15 I had to flick off my line. I usually find a couple a day but that day was nuts.
I wonder if they are simply flying at full speed and dart right into the laundry causing them to stick on the wet and or damp clothes and die there. Also wondering if they are actually shedding and the wet clothes allows them to feel comfort and when they fly off they leave their shedding wings and or skin??
I wonder if the sun and heat causes them to stick??
@ElicBxn (60016)
I'm wondering if they aren't really just shedding their skins... I'm always finding burst open insect bodies where they've outgrown their skin and shed it...
they are not shedding their skins, it's intact.
@SomeCowgirl (32273)
I am trying to think of the name of them, but I know what you're talking about. I believe a friend of mine told me that's all they do, get on to screens etc and do that. It's like a little fly body with big fly wings right?
I think the fly's body is smaller than it's wings. It's legs are wrapped around the line lightly and they appear motionless.
@gdesjardin (1938)
Wow! I have never heard of something like that. We do have a lot of nats here and they are annoying! I have never heard of flies dying like that either. Maybe if you call up an exterminator they might be able to help you determine what like of fly/bug that it is and how to get rid of them without trying to talk you into coming out and charging you.
I'm sure with the way the economy is they'd definatly want to charge me to ask a question. But it's not urgent by any means more of a curiosity as to what why it does this outside on my line.
I'm not exactly sure what these flies are that you are talking about. However, we've had some strange flies that have gotten into our house this year. They are like tiny houseflies, somewhere between the size of a fruit fly and a house fly. There are literally tons of them and try as I might I've not been able to get rid of them. I've gotten quite a few of them with the fly tape, but they are still always coming from somewhere. You are lucky that yours are just outside and not in your house.