Sleep walking, sleep talking, sleep eating... sleep BRUISING?

Ok, so I know about walking and talking in your sleep, and I have heard some people get up and eat while they're asleep, but the problem I have, I've never heard of before. I go to sleep, and wake up with scratches and bruises which I can't explain. This morning I woke up and my shoulder hurt so much I could barely lift my arm, and I have finger-mark type bruises on my upper arm. I have been having a lot of nightmares lately, but I can't imagine how I'd manage to hurt myself without realising.
@hdc4free (264)
I can sympathise Marianne, last Saturday morning I woke up and it felt like someone poked me really hard in the eye! I am sure I didn't walk into anything or hurt my eye the day before, because I would remember that! I can only assume I hurt it in my sleep, either poking myself, or possibly my husband or cat did it and I didn't wake up...I can get pretty hard to wake up when I'm fast asleep so I can see it happening. Hope your nightmares calm down and you heal fast!
I don't even remember what most of the nightmares are about, I just wake up hyperventilating. The only one I remember recently was about my daughter going to play with a friend and disappearing, nobody knew where she was
• Estonia
Woah! Sounds creepy! I can supply you with no other explanation than this: you must be moving around that much that you manage to knock yourself against the objects. But still, more questions arise: if you knock injure yourself so badly, why don't you wake up upon hitting something? That's strange. But yeah, I assume that this explanation is more realistic than if I said that someone is sneaking into your room and injuring you while you sleep. Hope you can solve the mystery soon!
I think it must be connected to the nightmares, this morning my partner woke me in the middle of a really bad dream and every muscle in my body was tensed, so if that's happening in my sleep, no wonder I'm aching. The bruises I suppose I must have done while acting out the nightmare in some way
@AishaBR (345)
I have a friend like this. She told me she wakes up with scratches and bruises. She doesn't know how she gets them, she just says she fights herself in her sleep. Where i'm from they say if you wake up with marks on your body and you don't know how you got them that means you have jumbie in your house. It's like an evil spirit. They say that you have to a bag of sand outside your bed room door so they can't get it. They have to count every grain of sand so they can go into your room. But yes thats what they say on the island maybe your just sleeping rough.
We do have a spirit in the house, but he seems to be be mischievous rather than evil. My 4 year old son tells me his name is John, all I know is he thinks its funny to play with lights and the printer, and throw things across the kitchen to get attention lol
@alvanloh (162)
I used to sleep walk. But never have i ever bashed up myself while sleep walking. It sounds really extreme. Instead people around me get bruises. There was one time when i was still little, I sleep walk all the way around the house, turn on all the lights, then switch them off again. I have no idea why i did that. But,when i entered the room, i was sharing rooms with my maid so i accidentally stepped on her leg. She started screaming and i woke up. I still sleep talk now and then. I feel extremely unsecure when i sleep talk. This is because im afraid that i let the cat out of the bag and let others know about my scandals. Just kidding
@ebuscat (5949)
For me yes i had a friend who is like that can open the door but not eyes open and walked in a long until they find home they noticed they are sleeping it is a bad thing happened in her life because in this day many are bad people.
@greenline (14864)
I had a friend who does sleep walking. That was when I was staying at a dormatory of the University. There were four of us, and we were sharing the room. We were so suprised and so shocked to see one of the room-mates was doing sleep walking. Yes , he was also sleep talking while walking around in the room. We all got so scared !
Sleep talking is something I consider as normal. It's probably because of the person's dream or nightmare. Sleep eating is common for babies but can also happen to anyone at any age, Sleep walking as what we call somnambolism. All those sleeping disorders I mentioned here are due to excess energy and overthinking. Now sleep bruising??? That's something I've never heard before. When I was a kid, I remember one time I woke up with a scratch on my feet. I was not aware I was scratching my feet bec an insect bit me. In your case, you have done something to yourself while you sleep and can barely lift your arm when you woke up. Hmmm... I'm just wondering, is there anyone who has an access to your room? No! - Just kidding. Lol Maybe you should consult your physician to verify if it's a possible sleeping disorder or an effect of something. :)
The bruising you're experiencing is probably just a reaction from moving around in your sleep. It's possible that you've been hurting yourself in your nightmares. In my case, I know that I've fallen asleep and started snoring loudly at a slumber party while my friends were watching movies. They finally got so annoyed that they shouted, sprayed water at me, kicked me, dragged me across the room on my blanket, and banged pots and pans all to no avail. I am the kind of person that falls deeply into sleep and can wake up with bruises (or on the floor or someplace else where I didn't fall asleep) and have absolutely no memory of how I got there. I don't sleepwalk, but I don't think you have to to accidentally move or hurt yourself in your sleep. I've done it before and been baffled too when I've had nightmares. As long as you can figure out what you're afraid of and deal with it, these nightmares will probably go away and you can get back to sleeping in peace and waking up without the strange bruises.
That happens to me all the time, and I swear my friends and family probably thin kI am getting abused. Typically, we move around a lot when we are sleeping and don't even realize it, so you could be bumping yourself while you are sleeping, which causes bruising. This can also be an underlying issue to a more serious medical problem, so if you are in doubt, be sure to check in with your doctor/
marianne people who sleep walk usually do not remember doing it and i would bet you walked in your sleep and did some sort of repetitive movements with your arm to make it sore. also you might have banged into something or bumped something and caused bruises and scratches like a hedge outside or something scratchy.Is there anyone in you home who could come into your room while you were asleep and grab you to wake you causing finger bruises on your arm? there has to be a logical explanation of these things.
Judging by the position of the bruises it doesn't look like I could have done it myself, but when anyone comes into the room I wake up instantly - my kids often come in when they have nightmares or have wet their beds and woken up. Likewise, if my partner gets out of bed, that wakes me too. I used to sleepwalk a lot, but my partner isn't a heavy sleeper and he says I haven't got out of bed :/
You aren't alone. I get bruises a lot that I know nothing about. I am very mobile in the bed. I guess I thrash around at night. I have sleep apnea and I move and wake up many times a night but don't realize it. I sometimes get bruises on my legs and I can only imagine that my other leg.. foot... hits or scratches my other leg... or the heel hits my other leg and makes a bruise. I also have scratches around my neck that I never know how happened.
@thatgirl13 (7307)
• South Korea
I have never seen anyone sleep walking or sleep eating but sleep talking, alot. I sleep talk myself actually. But the funny thing I heard is about this distant relative that cooked in her sleep . I don't know how these things happen though. I can't really guess what is happening to you but anyhow I hope you get the answers soon.