The Crunch is KillingMe

I got a notice included with my water/sewer bill the other day. The park owner is raising the lot rent again beginning October 1. This means my September rent payment (I pay the month before)will be up. Mind you, we get nothing for this money other than the privilege of parking our trailers in the park. There is no street maintenance, no plowing in the winter. The trees are left to us to take care of, even though the park owner planted them years ago, and we have to pay our own water/sewer! The only thing the park provides is garbage pickup! In the past three years my lot rent has gone up three times. This will be the fourth raise. At the same time my water/sewer bill has gone up twice. I am living on a fixed income! I get a total of $694 per month with which to pay my bills and living expenses. With the new lot rent, barring a raise in the water/sewer bill as well, my monthly rent total will be $241! That is more than a third of my total income! At the same time the PTB don't think I need a cost of living increase! Just what is a girl to do??? Uncle Sam spends billions and trillions on foreign countries, our politicians have some of the most affluent lifestyles on Earth, yet when the budget cuts come, what do they cut? You guessed it! Welfare, Medicare and Social Security! Go figure!
@louievill (15582)
hello friend, so sorry to hear what you are going thru right now, really wish there was something I could do and I really mean that. Let me just ask, do you have a written contract with the park owner? Can he just raise rent any time he feels like doing so and he is never really liable for maintaining he's property? or perhaps he's also suffering because of the tax he has to pay for renting out? I'm not really familiar with that sort of thing cause we don't have such in our country so I presume it's the trailer?? Well at least there is some form of order there or some kind of decency in where you are, well people here just put up houses wherever and whenever they want and that's our main problem. Yep guess good old uncle Sam spends trillions on foreign aid on countries that don't really support her policies or are just pretending to be friends, and real friends are given crumbs , oh yes, most of our corrupt politicians too have the gall to live a lavish lifestyle amidst the poverty most Filipinos are going through right now although I see a little bit of improvement somehow with this new administration, wish you the best friend.
As far as I know, these rent increases are within the law. I doubt seriously that the park owners would be breaking the law. Still, it is hard. When I moved here, the lot rent was $155 and water/sewer was $49. Now they are raising it to $180 for the rent and my water/sewer is $61! This is in a matter of three years' time! In the meantime my disability check has remained the same. It is hurting, big-time. Oh...and did I mention that my food stamps have been cut from $304 to $144? May I say "OUCH!"?
Food stamps are a program we have here in the US for low income families. I try not to spend my cash on food as I have other things that I need it for more. I get so many food stamps that I can buy food with at the store each month. It looks like a credit card but the government pays for the food and I can use it only for food that I take home. I can't use it for hot foods, only cold foods. In Oregon (and maybe other states) I can also buy seeds for my garden with my food stamps so I'm trying to expand my garden and grow more of my own food. Unfortunately, food stamps don't buy soil or fertilizer. I have to find some money for that on my own. Anyway, eventually I'll have to spend more of my cash on food since my food stamps will go down again when my daughter moves out of my home next year. And my lot rent keeps going up and up and up...oy vey! It just never stops!
@Shellyann36 (7456)
It seems that everything is going up. I feel for you. We are doing our level headed best to cut back drastically. We just recently decided to hand thicker curtains in all of the rooms (less sunlight to get in and make the house hot) and we also shut off the vents for the rooms that are not in use. We live in NC so going without the AC is a no go. We don't drive anywhere unless we are combining trips (with the exception of SO going to work) and if there is something he can pick up along the way home that we realize we need he will stop and get it. We combine all of our major monthly grocery shopping trips to coincide with my monthly OB appointments. We gave up the satellite tv and if we don't get our bills under control the house phone/internet will be the next thing to go. I hope this does not happen because I do bring in a little income with places here like MyLot and such as well as gift cards that we can use to shop with. We make our grocery budget dollar stretch as far as it will, avoiding expensive cuts of meats and shopping with coupons or buying generics as much as possible. We don't go out to eat anymore and we have not been to the movies in ages. I stay at home with our 21 month old and I am having twins in November but I earn as much as I can a month online and in August I will be babysitting again when my cousin goes back to college. That will help out quite a bit around here. We have a raised bed garden this year (which has not given us much yet) but the thought process is there and I am hoping we can improve on it this fall and next year. I think I have given up on our Gooberment as being for the people... they are all about themselves. We have to stand up and take care of ourselves. I would suggest finding more places online like MyLot to earn extra money. If you need more suggestions for sites just send me a PM and I will be glad to recommend some. I hope that things get better for you. I am afraid that most folks are getting hit hard this year.
LOL...I am currently working 42 paying sites online and one that sorta pays with a gift cert, although I think I'll be quitting that particular one once I get the cert as they are making changes that make it not worth it for me to continue there. I am always trying out new sites and keeping a record of each one...which ones pay, which ones are too slow earners or have malware threats, as well as the scam sites I find that don't pay. I also write a blog so I am actively trying to make extra money online. I, too, need to find some heavy fabric so I can make some insulating curtains. Here in eastern Oregon we get triple digit temps in the summer and sub-zero in winter. Very extreme! So I need to do more to insulate so I don't use the a/c or furnace so much. My church provides me with some wood for my wood stove in winter but when the temps get below 0, the wood stove just doesn't keep up with it enough and I end up having to fire up the furnace to supplement it! Luckily I do get a fairly decent energy assistance grant each fall but heaven only knows how long that program will last. For a trailer, mine is better insulated than most but it is also a shambles. I do what I can to improve on it but it's a 1975 model so it has seen better days. I am hoping the raise in lot rent will increase my food stamps this fall. Knock on wood! We'll manage, I'm sure, somehow! I am adamant about one thing, though: I will not dip into my daughter's college fund! I want her to have a brighter future than I did.