Unforgiving Flip Flops

@erikmama (12929)
I love to wear flip flops in the summer!they're the must have accessory for me! I mean, what could be better than slipping them off and going? Well, for the last 3 days my feet have HURT. They are also swollen...and red...and I am thinking it is because of my wearing flip flops all of the time. After all, they don't provide a lot of support, and I am walking around a lot. What do you think about wearing flip flops? Have you ever had such a problem wearing them? Should I stick to regular shoes or look for anothr cause of my foot swelling and pain?
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
]Well it could be that you're feet need more support. What I Would suggest is buying the rainbow brand as they are supposed to be much sturdier and comfrotable to wear. I had a pair of flip flops I had for years break not too long ago and I was out too, looking quite ridiculous with the way I had to walk! [em]rofl[/em It also wouldn't hurt to look into seeing if there could be another cause, but you seem certain it's your flipflops.
@erikmama (12929)
Where do I find Rainbow at? Guess I can do an Internet search. I thought the ones that I had were actually decent. Maybe I am just wearing them to muvh. It seems the flops always wanna break at the worst times!! I am sure that you had fun on that day! I can only imagine!! I am not sure if it is the flip flops or not, which is what I am trying to figure out. I have never had problems like this before, but I do not know!!
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
Now I wear the flip flops with a little bit of heel to them and that does hurt my legs a little after wearing them for so long, but It's just curious as to why your feet hurt. I do get sores between my toes if I am wearing them and my feet sweat. Hmm, I believe Rack Room Shoes has them but I am not sure on that one. You may be able to find them for cheaper online though.
@erikmama (12929)
Flip flops with heels on them?Hmm...I am trying to picture these, and can't. I will try Rack Room SHoes, thanks so much!!
I spent walking for about 6 hours in flip flops. I thought that flip flops would be a great idea but I was wrong. My calves were hurting. I plan to buy a pair of small wedges so that I have support and my calves aren't strained from the flexes of walking. Flip flops also tend to expand your feet. I read that somewhere but it kinda makes sense. I don't like to wear flip flops every day when I go out. If your feet are tired though, lie down and rest your feet somewhere higher so that the blood circulates and relaxes your legs.
@erikmama (12929)
Hello Red Mary. Ooh no! Sorry to hear about your experience! Trying to walk for this long in flip flops at one time has got to be torture on the feet and legs dso I can imagine you were in pain after this day! I did not know about expanding your feet, but I really hope not because I think that I already have wide feet!! Luckily the pain and swelling is gone now, and I am wearing regular shoes along with the flip flops now.
@13tyates (1610)
I love to wear flip flops in the summer also because well, it is just to dang hot to deal with sweaty feet in regular shoes! Not to mention for me they are pretty comfortable. Your problem seems a little weird for me because I know every summer when I start wearing them they are a little painful for a couple of days then I get used to them and they are just fine. If it really is a problem with the flip flops maybe search around for some that give you good support. I know there has to be some with good support out there...
@erikmama (12929)
Ugh! I know what you mean! Sweaty feet in the summer is the worst, and this is always what happens when you have to put on socks and tennis shoes!! I hate it! I did not experience any pain when OI started wearing them, and this is my 3rd week of wearing them, so I am not sure if it is the slip flops causing it or if it could be something else. I have always worn flip flops and have never had a problem until now, so it may very well be something else. I thought the pairs that I have a fairly decent, so I am not sure that the flip flops are doing it!
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
Yates, You almost sound like you're talking abour bras there at the end! I just had to comment and say that!
@13tyates (1610)
I bet after all it is the flip flops. Maybe look around for some with the best flip flop support! SCG - I just read it and it does! HA HA!
I too own and enjoy using flip flops all summer long. I do have several pairs of the ones GG speaks of which are Danskin. Those truly are supportive and provide a lot of balance for the feet. I learned about them because when I go to Arkansas I walk a lot in flip flops and it was so painful. My boyfriend's mother told of a store there where I bought a pair and to date have bought several here. See with flip flops while we are continually walking in them, we do not have any support and our body has to shift quite a bit, unknowingly to us and that is placing a lot of pressure on our feet. Probably best if you can't get better supportive ones to shift a day or two in flip flops and shift between comfortable and or sneakers the third day to rest and balance the feet.
@erikmama (12929)
I must find these that you two are talking of. I am sure they are better than what I have and wouldprobably be a lot better for me to wear. I am still wearing the flip flops, just not as much, and have had no further problems, so I am not sure if it was them or if it wa smoething else that was causing it. But you are right. Flip flops have no support at all and trying to wear them extneded periods has got to be torture on the feet!
@yoyo1198 (3643)
Flip-flops are tacky. They were originally made to be worn as beach wear. There is no way they can be dressed up to wear with regular clothing. They are not appropriate fashion wear. There have been studies done about the foot and leg problems that are caused by wearing flip-flops. When wearing these, you have to walk with your toes curled, creating an unnatural gait and making you over use the tendons and muscles. You have no support when walking and falling is frequent. So, I have no doubt that your feet hurt. You might want to take a look at this article: http://www.forbes.com/2006/05/03/flipflop-foot-problems_cx_sy_0504htow.html This in only one of many, many published warnings about this kind of foot wear.
@erikmama (12929)
Yes, they were made as beach wear but are also quick and easy to slip on during the summer months when socks are probably the last thing in the world you want to put on! I don't think they are tacky, but of course I am also not wearing them to important events. I can only imaheinthe health concerns that are present for those who wear fluip flops. My feet are okay now, but for a whle were horrible!! Thanks for the info@
@thatgirl13 (7307)
• South Korea
I am not very fond of flip flops. I used to wear them a lot as a kid but these days I just can't. The problem is, if I wear flip flops, I get this redness around the strap kinda thingy and my skin peels off and I can't walk at all. It hurts and I seriously can't handle them. So for me flip flops are a no-no. If you are uncomfortable with the flip flops I think you should switch to some comfortable shoes. Hope your feet get better
@erikmama (12929)
Hello girl. I am still wearing them, just not as much. It wasn;t that they weren't comfortable, but when trying to walk in them, I thin the problem began. I am sorry to hear that you have this problem with flip flops but atleast there are other sandals and things to wear.
I wear them on very rare occasions. I do have some shower shoes that do not go between my toes. Free advice from my foot doctor: Do not wear those or crocs style shoes. No support, as you said. I actually have $250 orthotics that I have to put in most of my shoes that I wear all of the time. Another thing for your swelling is the heat, possibly too much sodium and not resting when you should.
@erikmama (12929)
Hello GG. So I take it those straps bother yuo, too? They can be pretty annyoing and painful. The other day I hurt my toe with the strap, and am still not sure how, but all I know is my toe swoll up and the strap area hurt so bad. I am now wearing my tennis shoes too and always when I walk. Now they are pretty much inside and around here ot something like that. They do not have any support at all so I dont think they can be good to wear all of the time.
@maclanis (1576)
• Belgium
I love flipflops as well. :) I've never had any problems because of wearing them though, but then again I don't think I wear them as often as you do. :) Maybe you should try to wear shoes with more support and see if the swelling and pain goes away?
@erikmama (12929)
Yes, I think maybe I am just overdoing it a little bit, and need to wear other shoes sometimes, too. We cannot live in flip flops, no matter how comfortable they are!! I will wer some other shoes and hopefully the problems that I am having will go away!!
@blue65packer (11835)
I do not like wearing flip flops that goes in between my toes! I do like wearing a pair that I can just slip on without anything that goes through the toes! I will only wear them around my apartment. I can't wear them anywhere else. I have flat feet and I wear tennis shoes everywhere,expect at work. I need the support! I am not sure why your feet are giving you so much problems! It could be wearing the flip flops so much. I would see a foot doctor and ask his opinion.
@sender621 (14956)
My daughter and my niece are avid flip flop wearers . I was never a huge man of this footwear. i never felted comfortable with them. they are sleek and stylish but they are just not for me.
@erikmama (12929)
I think that alot of men feel the same way as you do though I guess this also depends on where you live. Some palace, like CA, they are worn by everyone! I like to wear them because they are so comfortable and easy to slip on and go!
@patgalca (14557)
• Orangeville, Ontario
As wonderful as I think they are, I won't wear them. I think they can be worn almost anywhere in the summer. I don't think you look too dressed down in flip-flops. My daughter went to a store last summer where they had a huge sale on flip-flops. She saw a mother and daughter with a shopping cart full of them. They were buying them for a summer wedding. They were going to give them to all the guests to wear for the evening party. Great idea. However, I cannot stand that single strap between my toes. If I were to walk around for hours in those it would drive me crazy and probably feel pain in between my toes. I will slip a pair of my daughter's flip-flops on to run outside to do something real quick, but I would never wear them for an extended period of time. I find them uncomfortable.
@erikmama (12929)
Hello pat, and thanks for responding!! I know what you mean about those straps. If you don't get it just right they can really hurt. This is also something that happens often with cheap flip flops. I have stopped wearing them so much, especially when I walk, and my feet are no longer swollen, so I am going to say this was the cause. I think they are perfect to weart everywhere and really affordable. They are so easy to wear,too,always a plus. Just slip them on and go!
@xuyxuy (435)
I love to wear flip flops only during summer but not really everyday. Wearing flip flops so far, I have not encounter any problem yet. When I have to do a lot of walking everyday I wear a more comfortable shoes that would provide more support, comfort and protection to my feet. I should say that you must wear your regular comfortable walking shoes when you go on a long walk or have to walk everyday.
@bounce58 (17524)
Last long weekend, there was a small town fair at where were at. There was a rock climbing thing that I went and tried out. The big mistake I made was that I climbed wearing flip flops. I didn't know it would hurt that much. Well, it didn't bothered me on the first climb, but the more I climbed, I think the more swollen my feet got. It spoiled my fun!
@sid556 (31005)
Hi Erikmama, I don't know. I wear flip flops all the time and I am on my feet a great amount of the time. I don't have that problem. I'm thinking there may be another cause like fluid build-up or poor circulation?? I would have it checked. The only time flip flops have ever bothered my feet is when I have gotten the ones with the hard rubber strap. Then the inside of my big toe will get blistered.
You mustn't put your feet's hurt and swollen down to flip flops before you make certain what it stem from.The feet's hurt and swollen may be symptomatic of gout .
@rhinarea (311)
i wore flip flop also and sometimes i get blisters on the part of the strap. By my experience i don't recommend wearing them for long walking use because its not comfortable at all but you cant try Fit flops or sketchers shape ups it does regulate your blood circulation thus it is also very comfy.
@jazel_juan (15767)
I am not fond of flip flops.. when i go out i wear these comfy doll shoes.. its like when i wear flip flops i need to make sure my toes are painted lol.. plus i find it tiring to wear those.. i would rather go for doll shoes.
hi erik mama wish I could wear anything pretty but am doomed to wear ugly clunky black boot like orthopedic shoes because my left foot had a tendon rupture and was not repaired in time due to a quack of a primary doctor so now I have a heavy brace on my left shoe and they are ankle high shoes. and I always loved pretty shoes. if I were you I wou ld get somelow heels or ballet shoes and stop with the flip flops as they really do nothing good for your feet at all.there are other pretty shoes that are comfortable without being flip flops a lot of foot doctors do not recommend them.when walking yourfeet should have some sort of support.