A Local Call Isn't Local

@erikmama (12929)
I called a business today to inquire about a bill that I owed to them. I dialed a local Nashville number. After holding for an operator for 13 minutes, she informed me she was unable to assist me because it was not my local office and she could not pull the record. At this point she transferred me to the local office where I held another 18 minutes before finally hanging up. I was a bit ticked. I don't understand why I was sent to an office in California when I called a Tennessee number, which made my hold longer and problem worse!! Have you ever called a local number and gotten somewhere not so local to you? What do you think about companies that send customers to any place with a local nmumber?
If I have a choice, they lose my business. I tried to reserve a hotel room, less than three miles from my house and was connected to a call center, sounded like India, and they checked to see if there were rooms available then switched me to another call center to make my reservation. On top of it all, they did not want me to come in and pay cash. I did something else entirely because this made me mad.
@Eskimo (2317)
I hate it when transferred to call centres where the people there do not have command of the English Language - in fact living in Scotland, I sometimes have trouble with some English Accents, eg Yorkshire, Birmingham or for that matter even North East of Scotland as well.
@erikmama (12929)
This is one of those don't have a choice things as I was trying to pay a bill! LOL! I find that these travel booking sites can be a pain to deal with, and sometimes they can say there is no available rooms when terhe acatually are. I use to work for Priceline.com and I also found that many times prices were cheaper or the same price on the website as if you had booked directly, and you save yourself a lot of hassles. I hate being transferred to those call centers,too,especially when someone with terrible English is trying to hel me. No offense at all to anyone, but it is hard to get something done with there is a strong language barrier.
@bounce58 (17524)
What I've experienced is the other way around. I see the phone ringing, and I see that it is a local call. When I pick up, it turns out to be a lady in Florida offering me 'a trip of a lifetime'. It is worth thousands of dollars, but I am lucky because I could afford it for just a couple of hundreds if I bought it then using my credit card!
@erikmama (12929)
LOL!! They have thos slick telemarketers in your area,eh,bounce?lol! Sure!Just give this strange lady with the fake phone number all of your credit card info for this unbeliveable deal.I am sure it will all work out gine and you will be on that trip in no time! LOL! Our telemarketers always come up in other cities so we know to avoid those calls!
@bounce58 (17524)
Oh, they are slick al'right! Their claws even reach way up here! Thanks for the BR!
I've never had any experience like what you've described here with being connected to the wrong office for a company. However, the thing that really drives me nuts is the hold times that you spend with companies. There have been times that we've called one of our utility companies to have payment arrangements made or other questions and my husband will spend the entire lunch hour on hold without getting anything taken care of.
@erikmama (12929)
Hi doran. I was placed on hold twice on this day and after about 10 to 15 minutes the second time I finally hung up.Waiting is already frustrating and to have to deal with it twice is just insane. I have dealt with one company here where I held for more than three hours, after placing my phone on speakerphone, and I was kept on hold even aftet they had closed!! It is ridiculous the amount of time you have to hold. With all those big salaries look like theyd reduce them and hire a few extra people to get those hold times reduced, don't you agress? LOL? This is the first time I have ever dealt with anything like this myself, but I guess now I know for future reference.
@KrauseHome (35522)
Anymore unfortunately it seems that this is becoming the norm. More and more places are outsourcing their business to telemarketers from all over, so you never really know where the person is from that you are talking with, and then many times it may not even be for someone close to you as well. Makes you wonder anymore especially since you could live in areas where jobs are a little more scarce.
@erikmama (12929)
Hi Krause!! Yes,right! I know whatyou mean! This is one of those companies with locations all over the states, but I still thought that if I called a local number I got a local company. Guess you can see how far behind in tchnology that I am!!We do have several of the offices in the area as well as the company headquartersadnd two call centes so to me it makes no sense to send me ot of state to begin with. But guess that is all how it work.
@kaylachan (4776)
That's what I find annoying about internet-based call centers. When you dial a so-called "local" number, you have no idea where your call is being routed to. It's very annoying and its like.... w....t...f....? I quite understand how you feel. I've had it happen to me before. The only good thing is the only thing I loose is time, minutes and battery power. (I use a cell phone) So I don't take so-called "local" numbers seriously. I perfer a more personal approach. Depending on my problem, I rather take my product somewhere in order for them to see it and advise me, rather then talk to someone over the phone who can't see what's wrong and counting on me to explain in detail my issue. While phone conversations are good for some things, they aren't for everything, and in my personal opinion a complete waste of time.
@erikmama (12929)
Ahh~so it is an itnernet based things, I see know.It really is annoying,e specially when the call center that I call is unable to assist me! Shouldn't they be able to atleast take care of any of my needs if they are going to direct me there?? I have never had this happen to me before that I am awaare of, so i did not even know that it happen. I gues I have talked to people in who knows where thinking they were right there!LOL! It is always better to conduct business in person and not the phone, but right now I am unable to get down there and wanted to get it done and forgotten.
@Eskimo (2317)
In the U.K. many companies now use non-geographic phone numbers starting with 08, which often takes the call to a call-centre which could be anywhere in the world. (also for some of these numbers they actually get some of the call charge, which means the call charge is increased, on some of these calls can be charged 50p or £1 a minute, although not many at those charges.) The original idea for this when these numbers were originally introduced was that you could call the same number for a firm from anywhere in the U.K. and you would be put through to your nearest centre for the price of a local call. As for being transferred to a call-centre in another country - Unless I really need some problem fixed fast, I won't speak to anyone who has poor English. Although very time consumming it should be possible to find a number from their website that actually takes you to someone in your own country
@erikmama (12929)
ell,the thing is, this company is not only headquarted here in Nashville, they also have several office as well as two,count them TWO call centers. So when I call the Nashville number, I think that is where I should get!! i am not sure how it is saving any of us by sending me to call center in another state. I know what you mean about the English barrier. Ths happened with me the other day with my Internet. I was already frustrated and not being able to understan what was being said did not help.
Hi erikmama, Said enough that they make you wait so long to then say they can't help you. Maybe it is there way of making money and or saving as I think a lot of places are using out of state/country call centers. This happens all the time and I often wonder why am I being transferred and or made to call an out of local number when I live in the same state where I get the service. Did you at least get good service after? Because most times I don't. I get frustrated when that happens.
@erikmama (12929)
Well, then I think I should be calling a toll free number if this is the case so I am not thinking I am speaking directly wtih my local office!Not only do I live in the same state, I am in the same city! I ended up hanging up on the second wait as I was frustrated and had enough. I was trying to pay a bill so I wasn't going to spend my life trying to do it.~lol~I will try back again in a few days but do plan to say something about that to someone!