What the Hell is Wrong with My Cat?! Uh Oh Bad Food .

So my cat for about a week has been meowing non stop I swear he never acts this meowy. I couldn't get it. I figured he was lacking attention so I would spend a bit more attention to him. Two days ago he stopped purring. I mean we would pet him and love him and nothing he just wouldn't purr. For me I sometimes have to work for him to purr but this time he didn't do nothing. So I told his papa (my husband) that he's not purring for me and I think somethings wrong. He went in there and let's say my husband has magic hands he can make any cat purr. And for the first time ever our cat did not purr. He just laid there and fell asleep. Finally it clicked in. There food dishes weren't emptied (since we have 3 cats) we knew there had to be something wrong. Our conclusion the Food was bad. WE went straight out and bought some different brand catfood and I swear our cats were straving. And our cat YAY started to purr again lol. Not sure what was wrong with the food but since we didn't have our bag anymore since we pour the food into a bin we couldn't tell the company which batch. But they are sending us a coupon for a free bag because of it. And they said they haven't received any complains in our area. So maybe just a bad bag. Still it was scary. TO have someone you love so much and poof know something wasn't right. I'm happy now that he's happy :)
@kaylachan (4776)
It's possible, your cats might have gotten tired of the food. Just like people a cats taste for food can change and they get bored with a flavor. To keep our cats interested, we rotate the flavor of the food around so they get a veriety of cat food. Most vets may recommend giving them the same brand and flavor constantly, but I know that that's not possible. Cats over time can get finicky, and it sounds that's what happened to your cats. Buy various flavors and I doubt you'll have a repeat episode. Because as stated before, if cats get tired or bored of a food they simply stop eating. It can be scarry, because quite often its a sign they're sick, but at least you figured it out before they really did get sick.
Actually all of our cats got sick. They are throwing up a lot. But so far they seem ok so I know it's the food cause before they would clear there dishes until we bought the new bag of food. That's when we started having the issues.
@marie2052 (3697)
I agree kaylachan we don't eat the same food and I can't imagine giving the same cat food to mine for their whole life. I have a good set up for them so they get a good balance.
@marie2052 (3697)
Wow what kind of cat food do you have them on? I use Purina Natural and Minerals. It has everything they need and controls hairballs. I have never seen either of my cats throw up because of a hairball. I actually have two dishes of food set down all the time for them. The other I get is the dry Fancy Feast. It comes in 3 different flavors so I rotate those bags so they get a break from eating the same kind of food. I recently got a sample bag of Iams for an Indoor cat which both of mine are. And it controls the weight and hairballs. They have ate it as well as the Purina so I may get a bag this week and mix it with the Purina and they will get the good benefits from both. Sure glad you figured out what was wrong with your cats. That had to be a horrible feeling!