It Is Not A Job

@erikmama (12929)
Though not officially "hired" by any of the sites that I write for, I consider it to be my work. I treat it the same as i would any other job. And it is important to be to put in abut 6 to 8 hours per day earning cash. I make a decent amount doing it that would equal about $9 to $10 p/h. It is my job. BUT!!!!!!!!! My mom insists that it is not a job and that I should not be spending these amount of hours online when I could be doing other things. She said it would only be a job if I were on there payroll going into an office, and not for online work. Now, keep in mind she spends a good 9 to 10 hours a day on the Internet doing surveys, making about $20 to $40 per month WAY less than me! So I am not sure why she feels this way! What do you think about people conider online work jobs? Should my mom consider it a waste of time?
@peavey (16866)
Working online is definitely working. I work online and have made my living doing so for a number of years, mostly writing. You said you didn't want to let your mother know how much you make, but if you give her an idea of it, that would probably help her see what you are doing.
@erikmama (12929)
She does have an idea, but not an actual amount, which is fine with me. What sites do you write for? I think it is great to have the chance to do this, and will keep calling it my job and working each day until they tell me I cant do it anymore!!
@peavey (16866)
I write now and then for Associated Content, some for Lehmans and Dollar Stretcher. I write a blog for Dollar Stretcher, too, as well as my own blog. I tried Factoidz, but I'm not too happy with it right now. Textbroker is good and I can always count on that for a little income. Just here and there. I've tried a lot that I didn't stick with.
@erikmama (12929)
Hi peavey! Thanks for the share. I have never heard of Lehmans or Dollar Stretcher, so will have to take a look at both of them. I do a little hear and now for Associated Content, and love writing on Textbroker. I try to do atleast a little on the site each day, so I usuaully end up with a decent ncome on the site. What is going on with Factoidz that has you so unhappy?
No it is not a waste of time since you are making money. As long as the money is enough to help suppliment the income then it is considered work. If you had only spent an hour online and were only making a couple of dollars then I could see your mom feeling this way, but that is not the case with you. You make enough money to live on which is great.
• Brazil
I think the same way. You win more money than a lot of people than work in a real office, so, I don't understand why your mother don't accept. She should stay happy because you are doing something you like.
@erikmama (12929)
Oh, I know first hand that it is not a waste of time. I make a good money, as I said it equals out to a decent hourly rate. Nothing to get rich from, but also enough thta I am able to take care of myslef and mu kids. I am not sure why she feels this way. I think that mayge she is jhealous because she spends so much more time on the Internet as me but isnt able to make as much as I do. I am not sure. But I think that it is my job and I earn the same as I would most any other job. Why should I not consider ot to be?
It is great that you are able to make enough for you and the kids. The kids always need to come first. What you do online is a job and it is great that it is a job. I am trying to make enough so my husband and I can finish remodeling the house.
I simply can't conceive why your Mum thought so.Whether she worried about your all kinds of insurance or she did so out of habit.You have made decent income online ,which purchased with toil,I think you may well say It is a job.All's well that ends well,care nothing for what it is,hang in.
@erikmama (12929)
Hi Chang. I am not sure why she does anything that she does nor why she thinks the way that she thinks the majority of the time. I do think I have a decent online income. Without a doubt I amk more than she does and i am not on the web anywhere near as much as she is. I guess it is one of those things just for her to talk about or maybe she is upset that she is not able to make money like I am. I do not care what she thinks, or anyone else, really, as I will keep on working online and making as muh money as I can!!
@erikmama (12929)
If she also spends hours on online surveys, why not explain to her that what she is doing is no different to what you are doing and in fact you are earning more doing the things you do online.
• Brazil
That's what I don't understand, your mom know about surveys sites and articles sites, so, she should understand your job. I know that my parents don't like what I do, because they really don't know exactly what I do.
@erikmama (12929)
I try to explain to her. Guess you would just have to know her to understand. Perhaps she is jealous that she spends so much more time on the wb and doesnt make as much as I do. I am not sure. Buit I do feel that when i am pn the Internet it is my job and I must do it as I am suppose to. If I don't, I don't have mmoney.
@bounce58 (17524)
I think that from your mother's point of view, it is not a job because her reference is only what she earns for herself online. Being it only $20 to $40 for her a month, and she works more hours than you, she could not possibly see you earning more than she is.
@erikmama (12929)
No, she is aware that I make quite a bit more than she does although she does not know exactly how much it is I make. I think it is just one of those things for her. You would just have to know her to udnerstand!lol
I don't think that your mother should consider it a waste of time at all. Now, I'm not to the point of making 9-10 dollars and hour, but I do consider the work that I'm doing online to be work and though it doesn't pay our bills yet, I know that if I keep it up and as I have more time to devote to it I will be able to make enough that will contribute a meaningful amount to our family's budget. In the mean time, I've at least been able to finance all of our Christmas and birthday shopping for the last two years and have some excess as well.
@erikmama (12929)
Hi Doran. I really do make a good amount online that I am very happy about and regardless of who says otherwise, to me it is a job. I am sure that in time tyou to will be able to find better things as well. But just being able to do what you do is a blessing.
@omarfw (50)
Being a writer is just as legitimate of a job as any manual labor job. Doing any regular activity for money is a job in my opinion. In the state of our current economy it actually is not a waste of time because there are so few jobs available right now; especially with entry level positions.
@erikmama (12929)
Hello Omar. I feel the same way as you do about it. It is sure not a waste of my time as I earn decent. But the fact that she spends so many hours on the web taking survyes and stuff makes me wonder why she even said anything to me!!
@RJlady1 (144)
Of course she shouldn't. You're earning money in an honest way. Just because it's freelance doesn't make it less legitimate. Would she feel that way if you were a best-selling novelist? I'm sorry your mom puts you down that way. It sounds like you're good at what you do. Keep it up, erikmama!
@erikmama (12929)
Hi RJ!! it is honest, legitimate money that I do each day so I do consider it to be my job. And, since I make neough to put it into an hourly amount in cash, I think this is even more reson for me to say and feel that it is my job. Yes, you just have to know my mom, buit I really appreciate all of your kind words! It is really appreciated!
@bouncybug (615)
• South Africa
I think that if working online is able to give you enough money to get by on, then it definitely should be considered a job! I guess its just not one of those more conventional jobs where you go into an office all day - thing is, a lot of those jobs you would just be sitting at a computer all day anyway without the flexibility that you currently have by working at home in your own time! explain to your mom how your work online is paying your bills and that you are able to happily live off that - then she shouldn't mind if you are spending so much time doing it!
@erikmama (12929)
Hi Bouncy! Thanks for your response, and I am glad that you agree. I also think that with the amount of money that I make I can call it my job. And, I also must pay taxes on it at the end of the year, making it even more reason I feel that it is my job!! She is aware of all of those things so I am not sure why she feels the way that she does. Bit regardless I will continue to make my online earnings and take care of myself until something better comes my way!!
@najibdina29 (1309)
many offers that the internet can make money. is it true? whether the business on the internet it does make money? please know I love a site that does provide income to me without me having to pay ..
@erikmama (12929)
It is defintily true that there are many great ways to make money online with your computer at home. Right now I do alot of writing to make the money that I make. The opportunity that is out there is all dependant upon where you live. Just try to search and you will find them! Some sites that I like incluide Textbroker.com, Mturk.com, Odesk.com,ReviewStream.com, and Helium.com. Hope this helps you out a little bit. Best of wishes in your online earnings!!
@wongchoiyee (7420)
I think your mom is like my mom. They wanted the best for their child as you know online income is way less than workplace income. So, by the hint she told you is she wanted you to seek for office job, friend! You can explain to your mom this is a way of making money too and promise her you will earn sufficient income next month so she will be secure at what you do on the internet. You are earning $9-$10 per hour. That's good enough. Just keep on doing what you are doing now.
@erikmama (12929)
I am not sure that my mom wants the best for me... She is aware that I do make a good amount of mone yonline, which really makes the way that she acts even more strange to me. I think that the earnings that I make is goof eough and I am very fortuante to be able to make it as so many cant make anything like that.
Apparently, we have the same type of mother. She (as the rest of family does) that I should quit whatever I am doing online and go find a more stable job. However, I pointed out to her that I enjoy what I doing and even if I find a stable job, I don't think I would last anyway due to routine and boredom. Though I understand her intentions, I know that she respects my decision to continue doing what I do. Perhaps her perceptions are affected by the conventions of her time and she fears that I would not succeed in whatever I am doing. Personally, I favor this kind of job because it is consistent comapred to offline jobs that only lasts for ^ months or less. Besides, I also know people, albeit not personally, but it is better than being duped by your own co-workers and nasty office politics. I could only hazard a guess - I guess you mom thinks your wasting your potential - in terms of talent and money- making ability. You are young and you can earn much better. As for me, I do what I do and what keeps me happy, even though sometimes it's a bit hard on the pocket.
@erikmama (12929)
Naybe this is it. I also like what I am doing most of the time. I say all of the time I need to find something else but there are so many benefits of doing what I do that I am not sure that I want to give it up. I keep hoping that eventually I will fidn more and more... I am not sure what mu mom thinks. I think maybe she is jealous that she isnt able to also make this kind of cah but I am not sure.
@Octav1 (1421)
Maybe your mother is thinking about a real job because there you can have other benefits than only money. As an employee you can have social insurance, health insurance and so on. Not to mention that you would be among real people and you would socialize with people your age. I think many mothers have the fear that their daughters will become old maids if they don't spend enough time among real people.
@erikmama (12929)
You are right, the only benefit that I do have is the money. But atleast I do have that. I know that there are lots of jobs that do not offer any of those benefits that you mentioned,a and many who do not have them for those companies that do offer. I am not sure why she has dorned this impression about me and my online work, but I suppose she is entitled to her opinion. To me it is work and my job and I will continue to do it. I amight become an old maid but right now am doing what I have to do to take care of my family the best that I can!!1
Definitely it is a job since you're earning from it. It's not just a profession but nevertheless it is an income generating job. Don't listen to your mom this time lol! Just do what you must and use the money on useful stuff.
@erikmama (12929)
I never listen to her, so this will be nothing different! I don't think it is something that I will be doing in 10 years from now, but hey, if the opportunity is still there, I might. I think so long as I am able to pay my bills and am takinf care of myself then it is a job!!
@carolscash (9500)
I would explain to her that I make equal to what I would make at a job and that I enjoy what I do and that I am not changing jobs right now. The economy is bad enough that I think if you are making decent money then stick with it.
@erikmama (12929)
She already knows this, but insists that it is not a job and I should be doing other things instaead. Just another great motherly rant, I suppose. It is a great way to earn money with lots of benefits, such as no childcare needed, working my own hours, etc.so I plan to keep doing it for as lonas I can!
Yes some people are this way and do not understand the greater efforts and dedication it take to work online. Online work is just as productive as offline work provided one is earning of course. Maybe she feels this way because she is putting forth a lot of effort and not making as much and feels that maybe you too are doing the same. Just remind her it adds up and unless you had a descent paying offline job this is better then not doing anything at all, as you are earning.
@erikmama (12929)
I am not sure. Sound sl like you are describing hating, which she probably is doing if you ask me!! She now approx.how much I make so she knows that it is not me wasting my time. I do make decent money, and like you said, it is better tjhan nothings and a lot more than a few extra dollars per week
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
I really wish I could make as much as you do online. If I could do that I would definitely be very happy. I am sure it took you quite a bit of time to be able to make that much per hour though. This seems to be enough to pay the bills so it should definitely be considered a job. What your mom does is more of a hobby. Maybe she just wants you away from the computer more, and feels an offline job would be healthier for you in the long run, I do not know.
@erikmama (12929)
Hi Cowgirl. Yes I started off earning pretty slow buit am doing really well now. I cant complain anyway. I am so thankful to hae the chance to do it./She spends alot more time online than me, for way less profit, so i am not understandinf her rant.But I just wanted tos ee what others thought.It is my job to me!