Pond full of germs

puja water from this - this pond water is green, full of germs
I had gone to a temple with some of our guests; we went to the pond behind it to get water to pour over the idols. What I saw was really disgusting, the water was green, I guess, it must be full of germs. The priests in the temple earn so much from the offering from the devotees, but never care to clean this, this is so sad. My Indian friends can tell about things in their place. Given a chance, will you put your foot in to this water, well I will not. Please respond. Thanks in advance. Kalyani ‘Namastey’. . God bless you to enjoy a lucky day ahead.
@jaiho2009 (39019)
dear maa, That's really sad :( Maybe you can asks the caretaker to clean the pond or whoever is taking care of the garden. I guess it would be more lovely if they will put some goldfish in the pond,that will make the pond more useful then.
@ichipink (342)
Yes, they should hire a caretaker to maintain the cleanliness of the temple. Fishes would be a great help since they will eat the algaes but I don't it would be sanitary enough for people to dip their feet in it.
Jane beti Hubby was with me, he had talked to the head of the Trustee who look after the temple, but it is of no use. Hugs.
Algae must have developed in that water already and no i wouldn't dare put my foot in it. So where are all the priest putting the money then if not for maintaining their temple? It's a shame sometimes to know facts like this. I hope they'll do something about it soon.
@ichipink (342)
Maybe they have other priorities on spending the money... it might possibly be more important than cleaning the pond. But still, they shouldn't have neglected maintaining the cleanliness of the temple.
It is so common here, the priests have enough money but they consume it for personal matters, it is all greediness friends. Thank you so much for sharing your opinion. Best of luck. Happy posting, cheers. Kalyani
@NailTech (6890)
Yea, I am with you I wouldn't step foot in it either, the green colour might just be algae but whose to say thats it's not full of germs and bacteria too. Just not to my liking. You shouldn't feel you have to touch it.
I too think they are full of germs lol
Yup its true, almost every sacred place has a pond full of germs. Although I don't go to a temple, but to a gurudwara, there also the water is clean but full of germs. Taking a bath in it is no problem but drinking it is a little problem for me.
Welcome to mylot We have 2 gurudwara here, they are better compared to temples. Thank you so much for sharing Best of luck. Happy posting, cheers. Kalyani
@ravisivan (14055)
Ponds in the temples are to be managed by the trustees of the temple and not the priests. Priests may not be getting more as we imagine barring a few priests who are famous already. In chennai we have kapali temple pond which is cleaned by the trustees. Of course in tamil nadu temples are managed by government and they take care. You are in Oriss, is it no. Probably temples are managed by private trusts.
Yes i am in Sambalpur, orissa, some temples are managed by govt, but most have private Trustees, seems they combinedly consume the money. Hubby had met the members but it is of no effect. Thank you so much for sharing your valued opinion. Best of luck. Happy posting, cheers. Kalyani
I would not even stand near that pond, who knows if that pond will be big than the pnd might have got water snakes and other insects which can harm us. I don't why when people started getting more money they forget that where is money coming from. the priests are getting money from the worshipers and they don't even thin of the pond once i hope they hardly goes to that side of the tempe.
Existence of snakes can't be overruled friend, it is better to keep away. Thank you so much for response Best of luck. Happy posting, cheers. Kalyani
@ichipink (342)
If I were in your situation, I wouldn't dip any part of my body there too. It might cause rashes since germs and bacterias are present in the pond. It's really sad that sometimes, even our spritual leaders could become irresponsble. But like us, they're just humans too. Maybe they have use the money on more important things like feeding those who have nothing. to eat...
Welcome to mylot Yes it might cause rashes lol.
That looks like algae to me and at least around here it has really been a problem this year. My mother has a swimming pool in her backyard and since we filled it with water this year it has been quite a battle with constantly adding this chemical or that chemical to the water to try to get rid of the algae. Everytime that it rains, we have to start the battle all over again. So, I don't think I would touch water that was that green, but I have been in a pool before that had a little bit of algae in it.
Here in my city there is one swimming pool, owned by the municipality, never well maintained, there are algae, but the private swimming pools in hotes are very clean. Thank you so much for sharing your views. Best of luck. Happy posting, cheers. Kalyani
@Buchi_bulla (8299)
I too notice this condition in many temples. Naturally we cannot take bath in such greeny ponds nor can we take that water as prasada theertham. The temple authorities should take initiative to maintain the ponds either with the temple collections or by making a request for this purpose from the public and keep them clean.
Thank you so much for sharing your opinion Buchiji Hubby met the members of the Trustee, no effect till this date. Best of luck. Happy posting, cheers. Kalyani
I took a foreigner the other day to a famous temple and there the entire ground was surrounded with dirt and the cows were roaming around freely messing the place. When I asked a devotee about this he said that the cows were holy and whatever they do too is holy and not dirty. The place was full of flies and mosquitoes. When it is a matter of faith there is nothing one can do about it but this water that you are talking about there it is green because the tanks need a re-circulation concept like a waterfall which one sees in many landscaped gardens. In fact I have one in my own garden. The moat from where the water goes up is constantly circulated and therefore no algae is formed.
Good idea no doubt, but i am afraid the temples will adopt, about the cows, what you speak is true. Thank you so much for response Best of luck. Happy posting, cheers. Kalyani
@akangirl (2437)
That's one of the sad but common scenario here govt asks for tax, mandirs asks for donations but they don't care much on keeping the place clean. Its the temple's people duty to keep it clean so that devotees doesn't catch any disease from such water but they don't care. Everything has been turned to money earning thing sadly even temples.Everyday many people visit temple and give money in donation box. where does this donations goes? Not much in temple's maintenance surely
Temples in India are good source of income, there are cases where the money from donation box are consumed by priests and members of managing committees.
hello Ma, Sad that they don't give time to clean the pond I think you can suggest the administrator or whoever is in charge to clean the pond it can also be the place where mosquitoes will lay eggs and it is not good. I will not dare to step my foot there even it is required happy mylotting
Honey beti The temple is managed by a Trustee board, hubby filed complaint, but there is no effect till this date, we had visited recently. Hugs from Maa
It sounds like algae, a green, microscopic plant life. It is not healthy, and yes it probably has germs. No, I would not want to go in it.
Yes friend they are green algae. Thanks. Best of luck. Happy posting, cheers. Kalyani
Hi Kalyni oh my no as I would have no idea what green algae could do to our health so I would not step into it at all.sad they did not clean it so it would be safe to put a foot into it. It does sound like it would harbor all sorts of ugly sick making bacteria.. The priests should take some of that money and clean that pond and make it safe for people worshiping there.
Mom We had gone there once more recently, nothing has changes, the priests are greedy. Thank you so much for response Best of luck. Happy posting, cheers. Kalyani
@louievill (18904)
Well I would not put my foot or any part of my body in there either, Sorry I do not understand the rite or ceremony, I suppose devotees are suppose to dip their foot there??? They should at least put some kind of disinfectant and water filtration there if people are suppose to dip any part of their body especially if they are earning so much, you could get a lot of disease there, hope nobody catches leptospirosis ugh..
Well when we visit a temple, usually we wash our feet first, so if this is the condition of water, none will put feet there, many temples now have small tanks right at temple gate, it is filled with fresh clean water continuously, as you enter your feet gets washed.. kalyani