Kicking myself

Must... get... motivated... I've been posting again on my blog after a pretty long, slack period (mostly due to my mum dying and having other work to deal with) and I've realised something. I didn't plan very well. Back when I built the blog, I created about 20 categories that (I thought) covered everything I would do in a neat, tidy way. Now, 175 posts later, it turns out I was wrong and it's all messy and unhelpful. I'm seriously kicking myself. I know I have to go through and decide what categories to keep. I know I need to re-categorise all the posts (and should probably look at their tags, too). But I also know it's going to take ages. Have you ever been in a situation where you thought you'd planned carefully and it turns out you made a pig's ear of the whole thing? Anyone want to join in kicking me for being such an idiot?
When I start planning anything it usually turns into an elephant. Even a small thing. I do not think I want to kick you as my toe hurts and my knee hurts already, and I am sure it would not help me or you. I will cheer you on, and hope you can get a chain about your elephant and get it managed.
That's gonna be a big chain. Can I have a pink elephant in exchange for the white elephant I have right now? (Oh, the play on words... it's too painful...)
Give the elephant about fifteen minutes outside here, it is 110 degrees F here. He will turn pink rather quickly. Warning. When the sunburn heals he will feel itchy and want you to scratch him.
I believe elephants can actually get sunburn. That's why they take dust baths. Useless fact of the day, courtesy of my strange memory (TM).
@rameshchow (5283)
I have created 20+blogs. I have great interest in blogs creation. I am mainly concentrating on ten categories on my blogs, those are news, education, youth, music,business, religious... etc., One of my blog having daily 1000 to 2000 visitors... last month one day it was reached to 5000+ in a single day, total views are 250000+ ... Its happy to share.
@hanuma34 (821)
Oh! What an achievement? Hurray! I am sad I do not know how to blog. I followed several discussions on blogging but could not venture into the arena. To begin with I do not know what is blogging, leave alone start blogging. I hope you can elaborate on the process somewhat. With over 2.5 lakh visitors, it is very impressive, ramesh. Do you get monetary benefit too?
nope, i am using that as a social site, fully free service to provide all clear information...
Blogging's incredibly simple, hanuma: you really just sign up with a free service (WP or Blogger, for example) and start typing. Hit 'publish' and there it is on your blog. Of course, all the ins and outs of monetisation, traffic and so on are more complicated, but basic blogging's as easy as typing.
Yes. Indeed yes. When I gave a title to my blog I had just one category in mind and now I want to add several more which looks ridiculous. I have added categories but they look odd under this title. I am planning on starting a new blog and go about it in an organised fashion. First I will think of a nice title to the common blog and then add the categories. It will not take long. All what I need to do is to cut and paste those from my old blog onto the new one but I must get into the mood which unfortunately is not happening!
Ah, that's not so bad. I moved all my old blog's posts onto the new one when I set up on WP - it doesn't take long, especially with the import option. Isn't it funny how we have everything so carefully planned and yet life still manages to throw us a curveball, EVERY time?
Don't beat yourself up too much. Just like you, I have made same mistakes, but it was pretty more of a repeated course for me. I usually try to plan something during Sundays for the coming week and try to prioritize things that need more attention but it usually turns out to be worse than I expected. I always end up messing things up, forgetting things I shouldn't forget and doing things that are outside my plans. More often than not, other things start to resurface and we end up doing things otherwise without even knowing. Anyways, good luck on categorizing your blog posts and hopefully you could get everything up and tidy like the way you wanted them too.
Knowing my luck I'll screw it all up and everything will end up tagged as "Uncategorised". We'll see.
I don't have a blog.I just write on here and at FaceBook.I think though we have all made mistakes when it comes to our writing and such.I believe that you can fix it.No worries.Sorry about your mother.I know its hard...I lost mine a few years back.
Thanks. It affected my lady more than me for some bizarre, inexplicable reason. I think she spent about 8 of the last 12 months crying.
@wmraul (2557)
• Bucharest, Romania
Motto: Any wire cut to exact length will be too short. I would gladly join the "kicking you" squad but right now I am hungry and I rather prepare something to eat for now .. But keep me on the list, I may come once in a morning, to practice the kicking instead of morning gym .. As about the carefully planed gone to hell ... been there, done that. I think we all did, at least once in lifetime. However. Be carefull at this aspects and possible dangers: - your site map document (the .xml or something, it should be in the main web folder where is your site hosted) AND the eventual site map page you may have, will no longer be as reality, while there will be links disappearing. - in-post links which refer to posts you will loose (will be moved to a new category or erased) will become broken links - you must go check and fix them. - depending to the length of time you were on with the site, there is a cache of all posts of your site as it is now, in big-G servers - those will remain that way .. - if someone somewhere have quoted you and gave a link back to one post which will be deleted or moved into another category, that link will become broken and you'll loose a link back. If you ask me, I would not change - delete nothing. Simply change the direction and have a new start by adding new categories and new posts and ignore those you want to leave behind. Good luck
Actually, none of those things will happen. The posts are all on permalink URLs, so a change in categories only affects internal ordering. All links, whether they're internal or external, point to the permalink and are not dependent on category, so there would be no broken links and any backlnks would still work. That's why they're called "permalinks". Too much work today but I have a feeling I'll have to do it one day, because it's just going to annoy me more, the longer I leave it...
@scheng1 (24741)
Hi Spikethelobster, it happened when my blog was still pretty new. I had too many categories, since I did not want to have many subcategories. In the end, I decided to use Tags as the categories. If I wrote something about gold investment, I might tag it as Gold investment and precious metals. Even then, the tag list became quite a long list. Anyway, I do not bother about arranging the posts. I just write as and when I am happy.
@MandaLee (3741)
I have made that mistake too. We have all been there. I am sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers.
@ebuscat (5949)
For me it is your choice in your self keep up the good work.