Cramping up Again

Years ago I had my gall bladder removed. This was before laproscopic surgeries and they had to go in on an exploratory because the darn thing was so full of cement that the dyes could not get in and they could not get an xray of it so naturally the scar tissue was extensive. As a result, I get these cramps like Charley horses across the incision area from time to time. Ouchies! As I have aged, these cramps have shown up in different places including my legs and my back. I don't know which area is the worst place for them to happen...I am inclined to say my back...but I really wish they would go away. I have talked to my doc about it and take a potassium supplement which helps to some degree. Any fellow grannies out there have suggestions for dealing with these pesky Charley horses?
@lelin1123 (15645)
• Puerto Rico
Taking potassium supplement along with one banana a day might help even more, since bananas have a nice dose of potassium also. If you also try to keep from getting cold. The cold will give you cramps too.
The only trouble is that bananas make me gag. Also, I have found that it's not the cold that makes me cramp up but the heat. I get more Charley Horses in summer when it's 90+ degrees out than in winter when it's -5. Go figure.
@lelin1123 (15645)
• Puerto Rico
That is weird I have never heard of anyone getting charley horses from the heat. I don't know what else to tell you. Sorry for the pain you are going through.
Well, like I tell my daughter...if you look up the word "weird" in the dictionary, you will see my picture.
@ElicBxn (60802)
I'm wondering if the other cramps might have more to do with the chemical lacks than the gall bladder If you had a good insurance I would say get a chemical profile done, but since you don't you could at least ask your doctor if your vitamin/minerals are out of wack
Well, the ones on my abdomen I know for a fact are from the scar tissue from my gall bladder surgery. They call them adhesions. The others...on the legs and back...are definitely from something else.
@ElicBxn (60802)
I have no problem with the scars from the surgery, its the others that should concern you - have you had your calcium checked?
My doctor checks me all the time. Actually, I am wondering if it's one of my meds. The last time I was having problems with my legs it was a side effect of one of my meds. I'll mention it to my doctor next time I see him.
• Pakistan
Allow me! Pesky Charley horses troubling you ehh! Well first you need to figure out exactly which site is affected. Then try placing some ice packs there. They help. Also don't try to stretch the muscles of that area. Instead give them a rest! They more than deserve it! Besides you will end up damaging them! Talk to a physio therapist and find out if you do some PNF exercises! They are best! Hope you can take the horses out for a nice ride!!
LOL...Your comment reminded me of my father. He used to get them in his legs and he would jump up and down in place like he was riding a horse and say "Giddyap Horsey!" until they subsided.
• Pakistan
Well there you go! Nothing to calm the horses than a good ride!!!
LOL...I think the idea was to wear them out!
Maybe you should talk another Doctor now, not your surgeon but maybe Internal Medicine. They have different kinds of fields and specialty. Your surgeon who performed the surgery might not be as expert as Internist. Unless he is Internet/ Surgeon. It's just a suggestion.
@dlpierce (486)
If I take a calcium supplement everyday I have fewer charlie horses. I don't always take it because it will also leave me constipated. Calcium keeps our bones from becoming brittle and at my age I should be taking it everyday.
I drink lots of milk and eat lots of dairy so I get lots of calcium naturally. I am leery of taking calcium supplements because of my mother. She landed in the hospital due to an overdose of calcium. Be careful you don't overdo it...but it sounds like you are careful so good on you (as the Aussies like to say).