Hoarders buried alive

I saw the new show last night and one lady had a stock of avon boxes. she said they were for her business. I wish I had that much business going on. It was crazy how she had her kids living like that. When her daughter was crying I felt that was when they should have just lost it and cleaned their own rooms.
Wow yes it is amazing on how hoarders collect so many things and some don't see anything wrong with it. I can't imagine hoarding though for a business and to pile it all up at home would be crazy. Was she not selling enough? As with Avon you don't really store anything or at least much as all orders need to be paid for.
I think she kept the boxes to hold stuff in. LOL
I can't imagine being jam packed with stuff and so uncomfortable in my home.
@melanie652 (2526)
I think hoarders have a mental illness and don't really understand that what they're doing is not "normal". With medication (I think usually an anti-depressant), their behavior becomes much more rational. It's sad how that one lady's hoarding was affecting her kids. I hope they were able to get her and her kids some help.
Yes that was the most brutal part of most of these shows. the kids. I have even seen grand kids who could not bring friends over.
@stephcjh (32385)
I have watched some of those shows too. I do not see how people can live like that. I know people hate to throw things out sometimes but junk is junk.
And much of that is just nasty.
@dlpierce (476)
I didn't see that show but I've watched some of the others. Couldn't imagine things getting that bad. They inspire me to hoe out any cluttered spot I see starting to look a mess.
I could not sleep like that ever in life.
I was watching an older episode this afternoon and a lady had tons of limited edition items and wanted to put them on e-bay. But like most of them don't realize what they have and keep on collecting and never sell the items. Who knows maybe she wanted to make sure she had plenty of supplies on hand? Or just plain over bought to feel like she was a success at it?
That ebay thing must have been great for her as well.
@rosegardens (3044)
If her house was that bad the hoarder folks came to put her on TV, it wasn't because of her business. If that were the case, they would be cleared out every other week. I know someone that does over a hundred grand in sales a year, and her house is span clean. (mylot will not let me use the other word that goes along with the product ending in span) Rare to see any Avon sitting around after the first few days of delivery.
That had to be boxes that she was shipped items i and she just kept it. I forgot about the delivery.
@SomeCowgirl (32273)
It sounds to me like she had bought a lot of items to sell directly to the people instead of the way avon works which is to let the people order it themselves. You know how that works, but to me the woman sounds like she wasn't very successful at all. Of course I haven't seen the episode. My family is a family of hoarders, I'd hate for them to come here, but a lot of it is heirloom, and it just needs organized really.
She said it was for her business. LOL I hope they are not as bad as these on tv.
@ebuscat (5949)
For me they don't mind it because they like her job and they have maid in there house I think.
@lelin1123 (15645)
• Puerto Rico
I will never understand how people live this way. How they let it get to the point of having to climb over things to get into the home or into another room. I'm a clean freak so I know I will never end up this way. I just feel so bad for these people who have the need to save everything. I think my mom has a bit of this not to the extreme that these people do. However, she will save magazines, newspapers and its my dad who has to end up saying ok this needs to go into the garbage now. He is like me likes everything in its place and clean at all times. When I helped them sell their first home in 2001 my mom had magazines dated from the 70's. That is crazy to me.
@carpenter5 (6786)
I've thought that on ALOT of occasions. When the kids were teenagers and their rooms look like a bomb went off. Now, if it's Mom's stuff that she's thrown in there, which I've seen in some cases; that's one thing, but if it's THEIR stuff and they are just too lazy to cleam it up...something needs to change.
@lumenmom (1997)
I don't hoarding is about being clean or not. I believe it is a mental illness that traps people into living in a way they don't want to, but feel helpless to get out of. I know some people who minds are so scattered they cannot even organize a house. Eventually they become paralyzed by all the stuff and have just enough energy to try and navigate through all the stuff. Also I believe they are in denial about their living conditions. I have seen that show before and it is really sad how these people are living and it's even sadder when children are involved.
I used to watch that show and I had to quit. It became so depressing. I listened to Kathy Griffin's show one night about the show and it was halarious. It goes alot deeper than them just losing it and cleaning their own rooms. They become inabler and live the same way. It is a complex and scarey mental problem.
@cupkitties (6702)
There's this elderly lady just like that living down the street from us. Her house got so filled up that she went and got some old cars crammed in her drive way and yard and filled them up with crap too. Those people need more than someone coming and cleaning their junk up for them. They develop an emotional attachment to these items that they collect. All they're going to do is find some other junk and then you'll have to start all over again. They need some mental help.