Do you need your wedding to be fancy?

Recently, a couple of my friends got married, and they didn't really have a big wedding party of something. They simply invited their families, both sides, and a couple of tables for catering, and buffet style of gathering. Nothing really fancy due to the financial situation, none of them are really rich. That is great though, because the bribe side won't nag about it, and they seems rational about the spending on wedding. For me, a wedding simply a ceremony, a protocol for a bunch of people witness the joining hands of both person. Whether fancy or not, it really depends on how rich you are. For me, If I would have a wedding myself, I hope that my bribe will understand me too. I don't need a fancy wedding, a million dollars ring and gowns. I just need a understandable wife. Would you do the same?
@sacmom (14315)
No, I don't need my wedding to be fancy. In fact, it wasn't fancy at all! When my husband and I got married, we got married at the county clerk office. The only people that were at the ceremony, besides my husband and I, were the county clerk that married us and a witness that they provided us. Yep, we eloped! Even though we kept it as simple as it could get, it was still a beautiful wedding. I just wish we would have remembered the camera that day! By the way, the price of our wedding...under $100. The price of our marriage...priceless! LOL Happy mylotting!
@KrauseHome (35277)
Well it always seems to amaze me the people that tend to overspend on their wedding day. They max out their Credit Cards, and expect fancy dinners, etc. trying just to please everyone at hand. And then when someone else in their family cannot afford to do the same no one wants to attend and then criticize as well. I know when my husband and I got married we could not afford to do a lot, but it was nice. We had certain people bring certain foods, etc. and it was a nice time for sure. We even went somewhere close but nice for our honeymoon as well.
@jlamela (4909)
Like you I don't need a fancy wedding too, I find it too impractical especially if you have no money to afford a lavish wedding. Planning a wedding maybe has something do with fairytales, I mean, I noticed most of the girls dreamed a grand ceremony with all fancy stuff. Well, maybe it has something to do with emotional maturity hehe. Back in my 20s I also dreamed of having a lavish wedding complete with effects and hotel reception, but as I mature and still no Prince Charming, my priorities and views in life changed and I am now becoming more realistic. If God still allow me to get married, I want my wedding to be the most simple event in the world. I hate big gatherings so I just want to invite closest friends and family members and maybe just serve canapes, fruit juice in the reception plus the wedding cake.
@saundyl (9690)
I honestly have been of the opinoin for years that i dont want a big fancy wedding. I'd be very happy to elope and just tell people that we did it afterwards. Maybe tell a few like parents we were doing it but....i'm not big on being the centre of attention. Big weddings are so expensive and i know my sisters "small" not so fancy wedding gorgeous as it was...she did her own flowers and decorations...etc was alot more expensive than she intended even doing everything as "cheaply" as she could get away with. I'd rather spend that money on a down payment on a house...or a trip somewhere than just one day.
@surekharathi (14134)
I not like fancy marriage I have seen lots of people spend their money in marriage and after some time after some years their child take divorced so all money is wasted. you can read my discussion instant marriage and engagement and I wants this type of marriage without spending lot of money. You are right only the couple is well understanding and well settled not necessary rich men or women.
@drasnian (548)
My partner and I are students, so we're both skint. Although we don't plan to get married for at least 18 months, the fact is, we're still going to be broke, because we'll be trying to find a house deposit/pay off student loans etc etc, so our wedding definitely won't be very fancy. The average wedding budget here in the UK is apparently just under £20,000 and there's no way we'll be paying that. The chances are, we'll call in a lot of favours with family and friends, to make our day as special as possible without being ludicrously expensive. For example, the photographer (on average) apparently costs £800, but I have an uncle who's really into photography, so he'll do it for much less, or possibly as a wedding gift, and if needs be we'll just pay a professional for a few shots. Similarly, the evening buffet is apparently £800 on average, as well as £300 for the cake. By using friends studying catering, we'll be able to bring that down a lot, as long as we find somewhere that allows outside catering. I want our day to be special, but I don't want it to mean we start married life in debt, so we won't be spendings loads. Even if we won the lottery tomorrow, we still wouldn't have one of these crazy celebrity style marriages, they're just not our style. I'd rather have a smaller, family day, with peope we love, where the focus is on us as a couple rather than the money we paid.
@Porcospino (18385)
• Denmark
My husband and I got married in 2009 and we didn't have a big and fancy wedding. We just invited our family and some of our closest friends. We had a great day and I didn't miss a huge and extremely expensive wedding at all. Some of my friends rented a castle and spent a fortune on their wedding, but I don't need that kind of fancy surroundings to have a great day. My brother and his wife celebrated their wedding this year. They also had a very small wedding. They only invited their parents and their brothers and sisters and the party took place in their own home. They have just bought a house and they didn't have a lot of money to spend on a party, but they had a great party anyway.
@stephcjh (32327)
I didn't have a real fancy wedding. It was small and very short and nice though. I am not in to the high dollar scenario either. You can have something just as nice and affordable.
When my husband and I got married we had a very simple wedding and a nice backyard reception. Our wedding was in a local park and the person who married us was a friend of mine I(he is an ordained minister). I never understood why people spend so much money on a wedding and a reception. I hope someday you find an understanding wife.
I don't really need a fancy wedding but women do, especially my girlfriend so I don't really have a choice. Actually, it starts to bug whenever she looks up on wedding images on the net, I start to hold my wallet as though I'm saying "Don't worry, it'll all be alright."
@puccagirl (7316)
• Israel
No, not really, it is not that important to me. My wedding was actually kind of fancy, because it got a bit out of hand, but I would have liked it just as much even if it wasnt!
@sender621 (14956)
I did not have abig and fancy wedding. it wassmall and simple and wonderful. Tbig and expensive and fancy doesn't make the wedding. it is marrying the one that you love and having a future with that person.