Waste segregation, what is your point of view?

@nytrisco (567)
**I am just reminding you before reading this to eat first or stop eating if you have a sensitive or delicate stomach and imagination** Yesterday, I overheard our yaya telling the garbage collector "Wag mo ng halukayin yan kasi may uod na nga oh". When she went inside I ask her what is that about, well it was the waste segregation rule in the community where they have a separate garbage trucks and schedule collections on biodegradable and non-degradable wastes. And if ever a house will not follow the said segregation, they will receive a memo as first sanction, and punishment or penalty I think for the second and third. So the collectors strictly inspects every plastics and paper bags even if it has already larvae of flies on top, they still open the said plastics just to make sure if everything inside is biodegradable. It is a good move of our government, for proper disposal of garbage and for waste segregation. But the problem is that they don't have any protective equipment or materials. I saw one collector wearing a clean gloves but it is already torn up. They must wear the heavy duty ones or the garden gloves. Some only wear slippers, which is not sanitize because their feet might pierce or pr*ck on something.
@Torunn (2810)
• Norway
I'm for it, very much so, although there's quite a few who says it is no point and that there are other ways one could spend the money that would give greater environmental benefits. However, I can't think of a way that would make the public aware of how much garbage they produce in the same way. In Norway everthing is checked at the premises of the company responsible for garbage disposal. I think they have machines for the glass and metal, because working with that much broken glass just can't be safe. We seperate glass and metal, papir, plastic and the rest, and there's also places where you can deliver everything made of wood, fabric, electronics etc. Usually, there'd be places to give clothes and furniture to charity in the same place.
@nytrisco (567)
I guess tv commercials, just what Nat Geo or Discovery channel has regarding info commercials to let the public be aware regarding the wastes and garbage. Here in my country, I think it is still people who do the work on glass and metal. I have no idea. hehe
@Torunn (2810)
• Norway
Yes, but I think that even in a high tech society with people who are used to getting information from TV programs, websites etc., it still gives a clearer meaning when you have to do something yourself. So when they say on the TV that you produce this much metal garbage and that much plastic garbage, some might thing "so what?". But if you have to sort and carry it out, you at least get an idea of what you are producing. I'm sure the ones in your country dealing with metal and glass have better gloves than the ones on the streets :-)
@nytrisco (567)
Yep, you're right. People must do or act accordingly so that all will follow. I really hope that those people who deals with metals and glass wear some protective materials on them.
@alphenor (687)
Another effect of existing law with improper/insufficient implementation. Law makers are just good in talk. When it's time to put the plan in action, each of them have their own ways and excuses. What happens? Everything is up to the local government whether they'll implement it properly or not. Good thing our locality (Davao) is in a very strict implementation of waste segragation in accordance to Ecological Solid Waste Management Act and some City Ordinance.
@alphenor (687)
NO SMOKING...another thing NCR copied from Davao and then given insufficient implementation. It's impossible in NCR, especially that the President's going to be one of the people to be put in bars. Okay, back to the topic. UP Mindanao is participating in the city-wide campaign, and they are already preparing the garbage segragation bins except for the biodegradables - I think they are having a pit for those.
@nytrisco (567)
I really don't know who implemented the NO SMOKING first, I think one part of Leyte do implement this very strictly. Haha, I think our President will never be caught since he is smoking inside his house and office. I think it is also be a good start if school, churches, etc start implementing the waste segregation. Good job UP MINDANAO!
@hexebella (1140)
Waste management is so bad in our country....how I wish that this garbage segregation will be implemented strictly...i have seen in other countries how efficient waste management they have and in collection, each residence has 3 garbage bins, color coded.....those for recycling are separated like paper, plastic containers, tins and bottles, biodegradable wastes are separated as well as the non-biodegradable....in our household in the Philippines, my father himself take the effort of segregating the waste, for the biodegradable he will put in a sack and seal the opening then he will put the recyclables in another sack. The rule will be successful if each Filipino will be responsible enough to help and make the policy successful.
@nytrisco (567)
I really hope it will be strictly implemented here in our country. Collectors here in the village are very strict and they still open those plastics even if it has a rotten smell already. It's good to know that some people do really segregate by themselves, I myself also segregate even before the rules were implemented here in the village.
@hexebella (1140)
i had an internet hiccup, i did't know that the first comment went through succesfully as the page get stucked.....now I have a double posting....:( is there any possibility to delete the above and retain the other one?
@nytrisco (567)
I am not so sure about a delete option here. Well, its ok! hehe. Its mylot fault I guess, I also had that kind of problem sometimes when I post some comments the page will have an error, the problem is if I press REFRESH, it will double post. So I have to press BACK to avoid double post.
@secretbear (19472)
Hi nytrisco! Garbage collectors really should be properly equipped and protected from the garbage they collect! But many local government units do not provide their garbage collectors with that. Just like ours. Sometimes I see the garbage truck and the collectors doing their rounds and the collectors are taking the garbage with their bare hands. And they don't wear masks. I don't know, the officials probably do not realize yet the danger these garbage might impose to these collectors. They will probably realize it only when an incident already happened.
@nytrisco (567)
Exactly! the mentality of pinoys, will just act if something bad had happen. I think garbage collectors is not really owned by our government, I think it is privately owned by some people. So the owner might have to provide them the protective equipment especially here in our country where we usually put everything in one bin. [hazardous, sharps, glasses, metals, papers, plastics, etc in one garbage bag].
@secretbear (19472)
I think there are government-owned garbage collectors. That's the case here in our town and some other towns I know. The garbage trucks are provided by the government and they hire people as garbage collectors.
@thetis74 (1525)
I really feel sad for these collectors because their job isn't easy. And they really don't need to open up these garbage if segregation is well observed. Segregation helps a lot in caring for the environment because there are a lot that can be recycled. Plastics for example, can be turned into shirts. I think that I have the least garbage in my neighborhood. I collect my plastics and sell them. Whatever that rots I keep it in pots and cover with little soil on the top--then I have compost. The rest I throw away like cans and boxes and packages. In such a way my garbage won't smell filthy and I am saving these garbage collectors from the filth. Segregation also helps us save landfill sites where the communities certainly objects to landfills nearby.
@nytrisco (567)
Wow, that's what you really call waste segregation. Good job thetis!
@ebuscat (5949)
For me yes it is very good so that you help the work load of the garbage man.
@nytrisco (567)
And to make easy for them. Also for our landfill to be clean from hazardous waste.
Waste segregation is a good way of disposing our garbage however, there should be proper implementation of the rules. They have to collect everyday the biodegradable materials so that no insects live there and germs won't spread easily. i agree that the collectors should also have protective equipment with them.
@nytrisco (567)
Here in the village, I think they have shifting schedule for biodeg and non-biodeg. I too agree to have them check first, but with protective materials like garden gloves and boots for their own safety and protection.
@diogz22 (516)
The law on waste segregation was passed many years back like 2002 or even earlier. I remember it then since it was one of our project that time in school. A very sad experience though since then the government failed to implement this policy. They are more concerned more on politics rather than enforcing the policies they create. Waste segregation takes a lot of willpower and know how to be successful in segregating waste. It must be everyone's job to do it not only the garbage collectors.
@nytrisco (567)
Yep, you have a point. People must have their own will for the segregation to become successful. Some people do complain [including people in our house] that it will cost them more like additional containers, additional plastics, etc. I explain to them to use anything that is already been used or to recycle some containers [eg, baby mik cans] and those plastics from supermarkets or markets.
@meriel (101)
nothing! hahaa.. we will segregate it. and then the garbage collectors collect separately (scheduled day) and then dump on the same dumping site. hahaha..
@hexebella (1140)
Waste management is so bad in our country...how I wish that this garbage segregation policy will be implemented strictly....i have seen countries who have a very efficient waste management. Each household has 3 waste bins which are color coded....those for recycling are separated like paper, plastic containers, tins and bottles....the non-bio and biodegradable are also separated.....also their truck is equipped with some kind of ahhh...i don't know exactly what it is called....but this thing will pick up the garbage bin and throw the waste inside the truck....one truck is assigned to one kind of garbage....so the garbage collectors won't need to hold the waste directly and yet they still wear their safety gears.....in our household in the Philippines, my father himself take the effort of segregating the non-bio and biodegradable waste....he puts the biodegradable inside a sack and he will sew the opening with a plastic straw so the "kalkal" boys (boys digging the garbage bins) will not be able to open it as there's nothing inside...the recyclables he will put in a separate sack....if Filipinos will responsible enough and take effort, this policy will be a success...