Is there a DVD disc universal for all DVD player?

So, I just wonder, where I can purchase those DVD blank disc, which I would like to make copy of movies, and I can play on all DVD players. The blank disc I bought from best buy, which is DVD - R or DVD + R, 4.7 GB which can only play on certain DVD players, only those players that are compatible with DVD RW type. On other players, they simply won't work. So, I would want to know, what type of DVD disc that is universal to all DVD players, and where I can make purchase of them? Does anyone know?
@owlwings (39611)
• Cambridge, England
There is no DVD writeable (or re-writeable) format which will be compatible with all DVD players. Probably the most compatible formats are DVD-R followed by DVD-RW. Older DVD players (before 2001) may not play them at all. The differences are technical, complicated and, frankly, puzzling to most people. In general a RW disk (whether - or +) has a less reflective surface than a R disk and the laser reading device on some players may not be able to track the disk properly, so if you want maximum compatibility, choose a -R format. Here is a list of compatible (and incompatible) players: http://www.summationtechnology.com/dvd-player-compatibility-chart.htm If you want to produce a disk which is more or less guaranteed to be playable on all DVD devices, the best solution is to have it professionally mastered but this would be prohibitively expensive unless you are going to produce multiple copies.
@owlwings (39611)
• Cambridge, England
You might also find this article helpful: http://netforbeginners.about.com/cs/multimedia/a/DVD_explained_2.htm The + format is newer and actually slightly better (can hold more data) than the - format but is supported by a different range of manufacturers. Most modern DVD writing devices now support both standards but DVD players may only support one or the other.
@rog0322 (2834)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Hi king, All DVD-R or DVD-RW can be played on and DVD-compatible players. Maybe it is the file format burned on the disk that is not compatible with other DVD players. Check it out. You have options for PAL-SECAM, NTSC, or Video-TS formats. Most DVD Audio/Video files also has copyright protection and unless you break the code, it can't be played on copied disks by any player.
Here is my question though. I can play a DVD movie which I made copy of, in a Sony DVD player, while I can't play the same DVD movie at a Panasonic DVD player. Why is that? Is that the region code problem or others?
@kavya06 (373)
I think all the DVD disc will play of all the DVD players,there is some changes in format of some DVD's but its will not be a problem...,