What's with cats and where they decide to sit?

Since my cat was neutered 2 weeks ago, he's been such a lovey dovey cat. He's now taken to lying on my arm while I'm on the couch using my laptop. I have no idea why he does this, and it makes life difficult for me when I'm trying to get stuff done online. I'm trying to break him of this habit before it gets out of hand, but it's not going to be easy. I can't help it that he loves attention, but this is getting to be a little nuts.
@ShepherdSpy (8563)
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
It wouldn't be the heat of the laptop that's attracting Him?
• Marion, Kansas
I have wondered that myself at my house, but if it is 110 outside, would they really want to be hot? Of course it could be that they dislike the a/c.
I don't think that's it as when he lies on me, he's not near the laptop where it's hot. The hard drive gets hot, but my hand is always covering it. He'll wander in the middle of the night and not always sleep with me, and the a/c is on at night. He likes it cool I think.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
THey do like windowsills to curl up on for the sun's warmth..I woke up in bed a few times to find my furry housemate on my pillow,basically on top of my head..and I had a tail for a Moustache! He'd have fallen asleep on my arm too as I was sat here at the computer..and he loved going out in the snow in winter..
• Marion, Kansas
If you figure this one out please publish it in a book and make your fortune. I have two who want to be on me, with me, by me, under my feet, etc. That includes when I am on the laptop. It makes me crazy. I agree that it is very hard to use a laptop with a fur piece draped across one arm.
Hard to type with 2 hands when you've got a fur ball on one arm preventing you from doing so. Drives me absolutely batty.
• Marion, Kansas
Mine that does that also licks. Either himself or me. He is long haired and smells like wet leather all the time.
@ElicBxn (60141)
and this is why I have my computer in a cat-free zone... oh, and the spraying...
@ElicBxn (60141)
I put a screen door between the rest of the house and the room I have my computer and crafts in. I have known female cats to spray, but its true they don't as often as males.
@kaylachan (4778)
Most cats when they get fixed, often have a slight alteration in personality. Thus why your cat is suddenly more lovable. You should adjust your arm so he can be against it, but to where you can still type properally. Just a slight adjustment. You don't want to push him away completely, because this could cause him to become depressed because he doesn't understand he's causing you trouble. He only wants to be lovable, which he's doing quite well. Or so it seems. Try to be encouraging, and provide him a place where he can be an attention hound, but not where it hinders you. Personally I find your discussion quite irronic. In fact, my cat, Chilly decided in the time it took me to switch clothes from the washer to the dryer... to take over where I had been sitting previously. Normally I wouldn't have minded, except when I went to go sit down... I ended up sitting on my cat. I jumped up of course when I felt him, but I didn't think he'd try to occupay my recently vacated seat. THough, since I'd been sitting at the computer for an hour or so. I can't say I'm the least bit surprised.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
Been there,done that..the only problem with suddenly having a black cat on a black computer chair is,unless you're paying attention when about to sit down again,you either think now there's a somewhat yielding cushion under you,or somebody booby trapped the chair with thumb tacks! It's like "You left it..My turn Now!"
@ravisivan (14055)
This habit is there among pets and also among children and adults. We have to satisfy that need carefully.
Cute and he must be feeling much more comfortable now. I have heard of many here on myLot say their cats too like to be near PC's. I wonder if the motor running of the computers is a comforting thing for them.
When we go to bed at night our cat parks himself on my husband's butt, and when he's at the computer he jumps into his lap.