Well that was dumb...

@dawnald (84129)
Shingle Springs, California
One day about two weeks ago Dearra told me she couldn't connect to the internet on her cell phone. I was busy right then, but a while later I fiddled with it, couldn't get a connection either. Told her to remind me later, and I'd call Sprint for her and see if we could get it fixed. Yesterday I finally reminded myself and called them. So as I'm sitting on hold I hear this message, "did you know that most internet connection problems can be resolved by turning your phone off and back on?" Nope, I didn't know that. "Dearra - have you tried turning your phone off?" "I don't know, let me try." Problem solved. Don't you hate it when procrastination doesn't solve a problem? And when the solution is so ridiculously simple?
@carmelanirel (21108)
Well, since I don't even have a simple cell phone, I wold not have known this either and I really don't think many people do..Then again, many might know, especially the ones into new technology..
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
I might have figured it out if I had taken the time to think about it. It's basically the same concept as rebooting a computer...
Hey, you have enough on your plate than trying to figure out why the was not connecting..But look at it this way, you didn't have to ask a rep about why, you saved yourself some embarrassment there..
• Marion, Kansas
And you got yourself off of hold. Woo hoo!!
I can remember back when I first started with the internet. I had a problem with the keyboard one night. I called tech support and was on hold waiting for a tech to come on for a long, long time. The tech comes on, goes through the regular mumbo jumbo they do. Came to having me turn the computer off, take the battery out for afew seconds, put it back in and power it back up. Worked like a charm. I could have saved myself alot of time if I had done that. Now I do it before I call. I hate it when it is so simple and I could have saved us both some time if I had only known!
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
I never have actually taken the battery out, but I've learned long ago to reboot before I try contacting support...
Yes, me too. But this reprograms everything so- when all else fails.....
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
I'll try and remember that one...
@mentalward (14716)
Yeah and yeah. But, I've also learned how simple some solutions can be and always go for the simplest solution first... now, anyway. Many, many moons ago, I had bought a password program for my computer. (Yeah, way back before they actually came with passwords.) I installed the program just fine. The problem came when it was asking me to type in my new password and I, for some bizarre, unknown reason, pushed the Enter key instead. So, at this point, my computer wants me to put in a password to get on it but, since there is no password or, more precisely, the password is absolutely nothing, it would not let me in. Luckily, while at a geek store for another reason, I thought to ask a guy who worked there if there was a way I could get past this dilemma besides bringing my computer in to have it fixed. He said, yeah, just take the top off and remove the battery. Then replace the battery and voila, it would let me in because the "saved" password would be voided by that action and I could put in a new (or REAL) password at that point. AWESOME! Okay, so that won't work with today's password programs that are built in but it worked for me at the time so I'm very happy. I've had my cell phone freeze and remedied that by doing essentially the same thing, removing the battery, replacing the battery and turning the phone back on. Now, all I have to do is push a pen tip (or any other semi-sharp implement) into a tiny hole in the back of the phone to reset the darned thing when it acts up. Wouldn't it be nice if husbands came with a battery we could reset, too?
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
I had the same issue with my cell phone. The internet browser got stuck, and the only way to fix it was to take out the battery. Just a sec, I'm Googling "husband battery"...
@topffer (29443)
• France
Simple things look simple only when you know them. The inventor of the first salad spinner -- or the person who took first a patent -- became a billionaire with something so obvious that everyone should have invented it in a kitchen or a garage.
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
yup
• Marion, Kansas
Obviously a lot of people do not know this, and that is why they put it as a message. I hate when there is a message and no one will listen. I bet that happens a lot. Mostly I think procrastination does not solve problems. Sometimes, however it takes away your choices, because things just deteriorate into nothing.
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
Once in a while a problem goes away on its own, but mostly not. I'm glad they had that message up...
No I love it when it is that easy. I remember calling cable because we lost internet and what we needed to do was turn on the connector box! Yes you feel silly but for me after two seconds of feeling silly I become relieved it was sooo easy.
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
You are so right! Many's the time I've been on the phone, on hold, transferred, frustrated, and I would have wished it had been this easy!
I hate phones so it has been a G-dsend that I can chat , yes chat with Comcast! Do you have Comcast?
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
Nope, I don't...
I did not know that it would fix Internet connection issues, because I don't have that feature on my phone ... well, I guess that I might have it but I don't use it because it isn't on my plan and I don't want to pay extra for it. I do know that I have had other strange problems with my cellphone, such as it said that I didn't have any service in an area that I normally had full service, so I turned off the phone, took out the battery for a minute, put the battery back in, turned the phone back on and it worked perfectly.
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
She didn't have a plan either. She did have internet though. Bad mistake.
I wasn't sure whether or not you could access the Internet without a plan. I suspected that you could, but I was afraid to try, especially since I am sure that they charge a ton for it if you do not have a plan.
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
Her dad got her a new phone, fancy one, not only did he not check to see if she had an internet plan, but the sales guy didn't bother to tell him she didn't.
@cynthiann (18572)
• Jamaica
Oh yes! Right now I am procrastinating - have my knickers in a tight twist but am praying an answer will come soon and it will be simple
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
Uh oh, what's twisting them?
@cynthiann (18572)
• Jamaica
Th r-azz h-le came back today and I have been anxiously waiting for him to call and as yet he hasn't. Talk about torture! But I am working on a plan. if I still have a job by next January then I am giving a 3 month notice and will try to find another part time job. I am desperately trying to pay off credit card debt and finish paying for my house so I will be debt free. In October my car is paid for and I will put the car payments onto my mortgage payments. I feel better now that I have a plan. But it is to last out to Christmas as I get a bonus of over US$1000 and need this to put on the house too. sp please pray that I have a job until after Christmas.
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
yes, that or a new boss who is very, very nice...
@1wldngl (3996)
I know...I often have to remind myself that these wee phones are just mini computers. Shut down, restart, viola' ;) And you didn't even have to embarrass yourself by talking to someone, hahahahahaha....erhm....hehehehe
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
No, I come here to embarrass myself.
@1wldngl (3996)
good a place as any I reckon...........
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
hi dawn oh yes I was having fits as my mouse was not being controlable and wasskittering all over. My son stopped in,picked the d.thing up ,waved it arou nd,, set it back down and voils it was now working just fine. lol lol lol. okay so when I was still working in the library one morning the reference people were all upset as one of the children's computers would not turn on. I was shelving books around there and sqw this little boy with his eyes sparking and a silly grin. I thought " ah aproblem solved." looked under the desk where the cord to said sick computer was and yes it was simply not plugged in. the little boy had just unplugged it. so plugged it back in, logged in the password and went to the reference desk.I told them I had fixed it."how did you do that? we cou ld not get it to turn on at no power.,I just called the repair guy." I said" you gotta have power before you can boot it up . It was simply unplugged" You should have seen the looks on all the reference people's faces. they had to call b ack and tell the repair man not to come.
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
I have had the same problem with my mouse many times. Usually it's just a matter of shaking it or blowing on it or cleaning the ball (if it's one of the older ones)...
@cynthiann (18572)
• Jamaica
You know I fixed my BB last week. the little control ball in the middle would not roll so I was helpless. Then I had a light-bulb moment. I keep a spare toothbrush at work so I took the toothbrush and carefully cleaned around the little ball. I was amazed at how much dust/dirt came out and it then started to work again. I was so proud of myself as the shop that fixes BB's starts at approximately US420 even to look at it
LOL Dawn the old reset trick thingy. Yes I did know a lot of electronics can be "fixed" by turning them off and then on again. But this I too learned when I was told some years ago that I should try by a customer service rep. lol Grateful for the simple things in life. lol
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
Of course had I tried the reset thing to begin with, I would have ended up NEEDING the customer service rep. lol
@bounce58 (17550)
This reminds me of our oven. The bake function has not been working for a while. We just use it for broiling. I think it broke two years ago. I remember opening up the hatch at the back, and looking at all the connection to make sure that it was all hooked up. After I did that, and saw that it was still not working, I procrastinated for about two years! Then the other day, a visitor came to the house asked about the oven and made a comment about the coil of possibly being broken. And guess what?! I bought a new coil, for $40 and now we can bake again!
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
Not quite as simple as shutting it on and off, but I bet you're glad it's fixed.
@kaylachan (4778)
It's alwas the obvious that will end up getting us in the end. And, I find it funny it's a leson we never seem to learn. And, many phone companies do tell you to turn off your phone every once and a while. It forces the connection to the tower to recycle providing better service. Though, while I've been on hold many times with various cell providers... I've never heard audio typs like that. But, everyone's entitled to their "duh" moment.
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
I guess they must get a LOT of calls where turning it off was all that was needed...
@wiguen (551)
my phone don't give that problem but i think the same thing would happen to me if so. loll any little problem i call Verizon and give them a hard time about it cause i am pay a good amount for that so, you are not the only one.
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
In this case, I didn't have to give them a hard time, but next time maybe. :D
I am not strong in cell phone so many of its functions leaves unused.However what you said hasn't happened to me,because I don't have my cell phone connect to the Internet up to now.
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
I don't use a lot of the functions too.
@thetis74 (1525)
I used to do that when my cell phone hangs up. It is just like restarting a computer when it hangs up too. The same things with our internet connection here sometimes and with the wi-fi. When it doesn't seem to connect and the landline dial tone is there we unplug the power and put it back on after a little while.
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
well now I know :D
@Danzylop (1119)
At least, from your story, I learned something that powercycling really helps. Thanks for sharing. BTW, I have worked in a call center. We fix problems of the clients regarding internet connectivity with computers(and that comes along with all the devices such as modems, routers, print servers, switches, etc). And yes, we call it "powercycle". Turning the device off and back on. Your device gets refreshed when you do so.
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
Well that's a new one on me (the term powercycling)...
yes its true.by switching off and turning on your phone really works when it gets hang.Our mobile phones are just like our computer with componenents proggrammed to work with features.It has an inbuilt memory which sometimes fails to work accordingly with the desired configuration.At times like this switching off and switching on really works.
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
If only I'd thought of it two weeks ago.
@BarBaraPrz (16797)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Who'da thought?
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
Not me or I would have made Dearra a happy teenager 2 weeks earlier...
@lilybug (21182)
Oh how I wish procrastination solved problems. My life would be close to perfect right now if it did. I have had times where the solution to a problem was so simple I don't know how I didn't think of it myself or sooner. I have learned over the years that a lot of cell phone issues can be resolved by simple turning the phone off and then back on or taking the battery out and putting it back in.
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
I wish I had thought of it, but life has been kind of go go go lately.