A little Japanese goes a long way..

@dawnald (84147)
Shingle Springs, California
to making a girl happy. Dearra's been interested in things Japanese for a while, Miyazaki movies, anime, manga and vocaloids. So last year she made the decision to drop Spanish and take Japanese. I was a bit skeptical, after all Japanese has no relationship to English and has a different writing system (not sure I can even call it an alphabet). I know when I studied Russian that it was HARD, and Russian is a lot closer to English than Japanese is. But she's really interested in it, and who wants to discourage a child that actually gets enthusiastic about something? So yesterday she came home all excited and showed me how to write 'sushi' in Japanese. It was actually great to see her get into it. I hope she continues to have fun with it. Who knows? Maybe it will turn into something...
@saphrina (31740)
• South Africa
She will do just fine with it, Dawny. Children seem to grasp things much faster than we do. Dammit, that's unfair. Anyway, maybe one day she can teach us then.
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
I think I'm too old to learn it.
@saphrina (31740)
• South Africa
Tell me about it. I cannot even get tagalog in my head. Languages ain't my strong point.
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
I've been dabbling with Indonesian, which isn't all that hard, and has the same alphabet as English. The words just won't stick.
@carmelanirel (20979)
I know when my daughter got into Japan, she also learned words I never thought possible., She even did a class project where the student pick a country, study it and write about it and make a dish from it. My daughter made shushi, even though she hates fish. She used smoked salmon instead of raw fish and she did such a good job,people were surprised it wasn't store bought. And of course she tried it, that was amazing in itself..lol
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
It will be interesting to see where she goes with this!
Yes it will, next thing you know, she'll want to spend her summer vacation in Japan...
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
Fine, I"m coming with her...
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
good for her! This is great and I hope that she does well at it. It is a good language to have today in this world of ours. My grand twins have tried to hard this summer to teach me Arabic but I just cannot get the guttural sound at the back of the throat in the pronunciation - so now they have given up on me. I cannot even remember the response when they tell me Salaam Aleichem in the mornings. Well -perhaps I will get it right. They have only been teaching me this phrase for 7 weeks.
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
I can do the gutteral thing, thanks to German. But a whole new language, not related to English at all would be hard at my age. Dearra's still young enough to pick stuff up fairly easily.
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
The twins are starting French in September so that will be easier for me as I did learn it in school although I have forgotten so much
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
I learned a little French too. That was so much easier, I guess because there are so many French words and phrases in English anyway. But I will never forget the look on my French teacher's face when I accidentally threw a German word into a sentence.
@jillhill (37384)
I think that is absolutely wonderful...I love it when they use Chinese or Japanese writing...or script for decorations! SHe can have alot of fun with learning this...good for her!
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
She's really excited. I hope she continues to love it...
@bunnybon7 (36504)
• Holiday, Florida
this is wonderful. she may go on to learning many languages through time and can interpret for people. its a great job to have. my aunt interprets and shes never without a job. when others are struggleing, shes going on trips about the world, etc. with all the perps. has a nice house,car, and all she ever needs.
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
That sounds like fun. I never quite got my German good enough to do that...
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
It's great that you're encouraging her to go for what she wants and what she's interested in. When I was her age I'd already taken 3 or 4 years of French. When I was 10 my dream was to move to Paris. By the time I turned 14 and became a fan of baseball.. my dream was to marry a Peurto Rican.. they were so fricken hot!! So I wanted to drop French and take up Spanish. Difficulty level, 0.. Spanish is actually easier than French, but they both follow the same basic rules so I just needed to learn the words, I had everything else down pat. Foster mom wasn't pleased and discouraged the switch. I think it was more or less her slightly racist attitude. She wanted me to grow up and marry a nice white guy, not a hispanic or latino or black or any other race that wasn't white. In the end I compromised and took both French and Spanish.. boy was that confusing. I had the classes back to back and so I spoke French with a Spanish accent. I also mixed up the alphabet.. I would start it in French and finish in Spanish because the letters are so similar. I still ended up getting good grades in both classes, 100 in Spanish my first year.. so easy! Of course I ended up dropping both languages in 11th grade when I found out I was pregnant.. to this day I don't remember a word of either language.
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
Well they say if you don't use it you lose it, but I bet you'd be surprised how much you remember if you pick up a book. I know just from my lousy 1 semester of French I could read practically all of the signs in Paris, at any rate.
@savypat (20246)
Please enourage Dearra in this interest, one of the most needed abilities is to translate oriental languages into English. It's a great job talent.
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
Yeah, it could be really useful. Hopefully, she'll continue to be enthusiastic about it!
That is cool that Dearra is interested in something besides the norm for kids her age. It is aways good to know other languages. I know alittle spanish and can say some stuff in several languages but that's it. Enough to be cute but not enough to get me anywhere.
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
I can be cute in lots of languages.
I bet. And I can do pig latin and sign language also. Hehe
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
Well, I can do "ab" language, so there. How many people can say that?
Nihongo? Good for Dearra! That's awesome that the school even offers Japanese! If she has a thirst for this knowledge, definitely let her go with it! Yah, there is an alphabet. When my name is written in English, there are 6 letters - 3 syllables. But in Japanese, those 3 syllables are the 3 letters (did that make any sense?). But there are "kanji" too - which are symbolic - that is definitely different. And grammar of course is different too. And ha ha, but that funny song comes to mind (was it the 80's?) "Turning Japanese"!
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
Good for Dearra, not for Naomi. they don't offer German... Yep, I remember that song. So them as thinks you look like Michelle Kwan got the wrong Asian background. lol
Yep - well, as they say - all Asians look alike . . . grrrrrrr.
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
yeah, say are you sure you're not from India? :D
@ElicBxn (60884)
I'm glad she's enjoying it, I love the art and gardens of Japan, I would love to visit there - but I already know I'm not going to learn a word of it - I tried when my sister went to Japan on a Girl Scout thing... "o-hi-o" good morning
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
I remember that. Thought it was an interesting coincidence...
@bounce58 (17526)
When I was young-er, I went through the same phase. I also was trying to learn Spanish, until I discovered Japanese. Mostly it was because of the robot cartoons when I was young, but later on it was because of the ninjas and the samurai's. Then when I was older, I actually was able to go to Japan, and experience it for myself. I still love the culture, and would like to visit again. Suddenly, I want some katsudon!
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
Oh did you? I did the same thing, but with Germany...
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
Maybe by the end of the year she can order for you guys in japanese at a Japanese restaurant.... HS's overhere didn't have japanese to study.
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
Over here they're all different. If she wanted German, for example, she'd have to go to a different school.
@madteaparty (2763)
• Japan
A pity she dropped Spanish, as it's a very beautiful language, and also hard to master, but I think it's good she took interest in another foreign language, like Japanese. Also, to be able to write sushi just when she just might have started is very impressive in my opinion. I like learning foreing languages, so I'm always happy to hear that someone else seems interested in it too.
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
I wish she hadn't dropped Spanish also, but if she's lost interest, she isn't going to make an effort anyway...
That is wonderful Dawn as you just never know. There are many Americans who study Japanese and correlate that into very successful careers. I am glad she is enthusiastic in learning.
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
Yes, me too!
@edsss17 (4398)
Aw that's cute! Many teenage girls in my country nowadays are either into Korean or Japanese. Honestly I'm also into that. Maybe I'm so poor in styling myself, I look up to Japanese and Korean ladies who wear clothes, makeups and accessories amazingly! They're just so beautiful.. And about Dearra, she will just do fine.. Especially now she's enjoying it!
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
She's loving it so far!`
@lilybug (21148)
The school my son is going to start attending next week only offers Spanish for middle school, but once they get to high school they have the choice of Spanish, French, or Mandarin. He expressed an interest in studying Mandarin. I think it would be cool for him to get into it. Who knows...maybe Dearra could really enjoy it and end up working for some kind of international company when she gets older.
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
They had Spanish in the middle school here too.
@sswallace21 (1824)
Yes, maybe she could be a translator for our government system. They don't understand English and the American way of life. Maybe she could teach them Japanese and their customs. Maybe that would help. A new language and customs is just what we need to make the government better. GO DEARRA!! Actually, I'm with you. If she's that enthusiastic about it, she will have an excellent outcome. Best Wishes!
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
I can just see her telling them off in Japanese. lol
@thetis74 (1525)
You studied Russian? That was nice. Must be really hard at first. It was okay for the girl because when someone is interested at something and has the motivation or determination that keeps her in a very fast pace of learning very fast. It's good to hear people learning different language. As for me, I only know a few words and sing several foreign songs that I don't even understand that content. Haha
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
I did, yes, and it was very interesting, but it was hard.
hi dawn I would bet she will get into it and will hearn Japanese a lot easier than you and I could ever learn it. Young people will absorb languages like sponges while adults really struggle with some of the foreign languages and to me Japanese and Chinese look super hard to learn for me anyway.so good luck to Dearra and hope she continues to have a lot of fun with it.
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
WAY easier than I could, that's for sure...
That is really great that she is so excited about this. She may truly excel in this.
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
I hope so...